getting ready to book on the Jewel... advice please

Fyly

I am looking at the

dec 16, 5 nights cruise on the NCL Jewel out of Miami.

We picked that one because

- of the review of the ship

- because I want to go see some ruins in Mexico

- we never cruised and want a sample

- price seems good

We are interrested in cabine categorie AF (mini suite)

what location is better? Forward, midship and aft are available.

Would a travel agent have a better price that the NCL website?

Thanks,

Fyly

Hello,

I am leaving on the Jewel this coming Sunday for a Thanksgiving cruise!

I think using a travel agent is always better, and cheaper, as they are your advocate in case anything goes arwy. NCL is helpful but they don't really look out for your best interests. A local travel agent has a vested interest in making sure you are satisfied. I have booked through NCL and everything went fine too.

I prefer the Aft Mini-suites as the balcony is usually larger than a side balcony and the Aft is usually much less windy than a forward room. I have been on the front of the sip when it was so windy that they told us not to open the balcony doors! I don't mind the wind but my friends don't like it.

Enjoy your cruise!

Well, I guess it depends on what you're looking for - as far as forward vs midship vs aft. My preference is ALWAYS midship. That's mostly because of ease of getting around and stability. Low and midship is the least bumpy.

I've only booked with a travel agent once - and that was my first cruise. Since then, I've become a "do-it-yourselfer". I don't think I had much control over anything with the TA. I spent far more on that cruise than I've ever spent with any other. I check various websites, including the cruiseline's. The last few cruises, I've booked directly with the cruiseline. That way, I just put a few hundred down, and pay it off little by little.

I have booked 7 cruises all with an on-line TA and couldn't be happier! Most of my cruises are with 6 other couples for a total of 7 cabins, 7 dinner reservations ect. The on-line agency has always done a GREAT job and I have never felt like I paid anymore than had I went elsewhere!

Happy sailing!!! :)

Hello,

I am leaving on the Jewel this coming Sunday for a Thanksgiving cruise!

I think using a travel agent is always better, and cheaper, as they are your advocate in case anything goes arwy. NCL is helpful but they don't really look out for your best interests. A local travel agent has a vested interest in making sure you are satisfied. I have booked through NCL and everything went fine too.

I prefer the Aft Mini-suites as the balcony is usually larger than a side balcony and the Aft is usually much less windy than a forward room. I have been on the front of the sip when it was so windy that they told us not to open the balcony doors! I don't mind the wind but my friends don't like it.

Enjoy your cruise!

Hey Michigan Moose we are leaving on the Jewel Sunday too. We are from the Grand Rapids, MI area and are driving down Friday. Looking forward to a great Thanksgiving cruise (not so much the drive though).

I had a mini-suite aft-not completely aft, 6 rooms from the back and loved it. I didn't feel any ship movement at all. We were 2 rooms from the aft elevators and the aft stairs and getting to the 12th floor was a breeze-that's where the buffet and bar are :)

You can go on NCL website and check if an exact cabin is available by pretending to book. Stay away from cabins by the elevator or stairs- they can be noisy. We were in a midship on the Jewel and liked it but have an aft cabin for next February..

just to keep you up to date and thanks for the info.

After I sent all the details to DH, who is the one who doesn't want more than 5 days, he said "yeah, it's good but there are only 2 stops".

so we are back at the drawing board.

we have some princess, RoyalC and NCL to look at.

thanks again,

Fyly

Archived