Sightseeing and Safety in French Quarter

jp2001

Hi,

Please note, I would not like this thread to become a ‘’Is New Orleans Safe’’ number 2. I have read the other thread and also made some research on sightseeing and on safety matters but I still have a couple of questions and I’m sure the locals or people who travel there frequently can help me.

I will be taking 2 cruises from/to New Orleans next year. The first, in February with my sister-in-law, is a round-trip cruise and the second is from New York to New Orleans in October 2008. In February, we will arrive at noon the day before the cruise. I am planning on seeing as much as I can of the French Quarter in this short period of time (unfortunately, not enough time to visit other districts).

During the day:

Walk from the Hotel (Dauphine/Bienville) to Acme Oyster House for lunch then walk on Royal to Jackson Square Then down on Chartres St. up to Governor Nichol’s to get to the French Market and walk the riverwalk to go to the aquarium area (not planning on going to the aquarium and Imax unless it’s raining heavily because it’s too time consuming) and going up to the WTC 360 Lounge by dusk. Then walk to Mother’s by walking up Canal St. and then Tchoupitoulas St. to the restaurant. Getting back to the Hotel by Tchoupitoulas St. and Bienville St. Change clothes and get ready for the night.

- First, is it doable or it is too far, can you estimate the time or mileage of this walk? I guess we will start our walk at around 1pm and I would like to be back at the Hotel by 8-9pm to get ready for the night.

- Do you think it’s a good itinerary or you think we are missing important things (remember, limited time unfortunately).

- Is there any place/street you think we should avoid?

At night

We definitely want to see Bourbon Street but I’m not sure that we want to spend all night there. I want hear live music from the area (Cajun, Jazz, etc.). There are three areas that have places I think I would like: House of Blues and Kerry Irish Pub on Decatur St. near Bienville (4 blocks from the Hotel); Palm Court Jazz Café, Jimmy Buffet Margaritaville and D.B.A.(near the French Market and the latter on Freshmen St., farther from the Hotel) or Cajun Cabin, Funky Pirate, Krazy Corner and Bombay Club a couple of blocks from the Hotel, on Bourbon St. We plan on having a drink at 2-3 different places but not on ‘’getting drunk’’.

- Which of these places would you recommend the most.

- Is there one of these areas we should avoid (we are two women in our late twenties. We will know where we are going and hopefully won’t look like the stupid category of tourists even if we are French-speaking (sister-in-law doesn’t speak as much English as I do).

- Should we take a taxi cab to get to these places or walking is fine anywhere in the Vieux Carré? I usually prefer walking but don’t want to take risks. We will avoid side lanes but is there some streets that are safest or to avoid?

In the morning

This one is easier, we won’t go too far from the Hotel (2-3 blocks max) since we have a ship to catch and probably won’t get up earlier than 10 a.m. I was thinking Annette’s Restaurant or Begue’s Restaurant. What do you think?

I hope I don’t annoy you too much with all these questions, I simply would like to get the best/safest experience I can get from this 24 hours stay in the Crescent City.

Thank you!

JP

My wife and I walk these areas just about every weekend. Assuming that you a reasonably active, they are all pretty easy walks. If you didn't stop anywhere along the way, the whole route would take about an hour.

The best music clubs are on Frenchmen (not Freshman). That is a bit of a walk. Snug Harbor, d.b.a., The Spotted Cat, Blue Nile and others are on Frenchmen. Check

http://www.offbeat.com

for schedules.

The streets in that area (called Fauberg Marigny) are not laid out in grids like the French Quarter is, and it is easy to get lost. Go North on Decatur (away from Canal Street). Cross Esplanade, and Frenchmen goes off to the left at an angle.

The clubs on Bourbon Street don't interest us much, except for Fritzel's, which has some good local muscians. Bourbon Street is pretty safe: lots of police (local and state), but pickpockets are a problem. Just be careful.

Kerry Irish Pub is one of our favorite places. Good local music, cheap drinks, and friendly locals.

Never heard of Annette's, but Begue's is very good. This place

http://www.petuniasrestaurant

does a great breakfast (huge crepes).

Have fun.

JP,

Your itinerary is pretty good and the areas you will be in are OK. At night you will need to stay where there are crowds and don't go off on any dark side streets. Just do as you would in any large city and you will be fine. I'm not sure if the 360 is open now and it was a private bar the last I heard. I suggest that you try the Cat's Meow in the 700 block of Bourbon in the late afternoon. Lotsa fun ! The Tropical Isle Beach Club or Old Opera House have decent Cajun music. Both on Bourbon.

This is an interactive map of The Quarter... http://www.vieuxcarre.org/

Just click on an intersection and it will show you what is there. Enjoy the City !

• 1 month later...
Don't believe it. It is the "Bloodiest City in the Nation". You will NEVER be safe there. You'll get better odds in Vegas.

Look--I'm not going to claim that New Orleans doesn't have a terrible crime problem, but some of you folks lack perspective. To start with, no one is perfectfly safe anywhere. Be especially careful. Stay where the crowds are. Don't get drunk and get lost. Don't buy or sell narcotics. Don't go with a stranger "who knows this great club". Use some common sense and the most dangerous part of your visit (and this is true in any city) will be the cab ride to and from the airport. Speaking of odds in Vegas, I'd be happy to bet kingfish78734 that the OP makes it out of NOLA without incedent. What do you say?

Don't believe it. It is the "Bloodiest City in the Nation". You will NEVER be safe there. You'll get better odds in Vegas.

What a ray of sunshine you are.;)

I agree though, if you have anything to do with drugs in the"bad" parts of the City, you will "never be safe".

Just wondering, have you been to NOLA?

Note: The odds are with the house in Vegas ya know.:D

Kingfish is well known for posting similar pearls on the Carnival forum. Austin was a good place for him to run away to.

The only thing I didn't see listed was Cafe du Monde

http://www.cafedumonde.com/

As long as you are a tourist and use a little common sense, you have little to fear. If you are a gang banger or looking to rip off a drug dealer your mileage may vary.

It seems like a number of the taxi drivers are from Haiti these days, so French might work better than English, although in my experience, they all speak English. It is sometimes amusing to listen to them speak in creole or some kind of patois on their cellphones to friends.

At Acme, I like an oyster poboy peacemaker style (tabasco infused mayonnaise). Also the chargrilled oysters.

Well y'all still don't get it. Perhaps you should stay up on the news...it was the FBI that labeled N.O. the "Bloodiest City in the Nation" just yesterday, I just quoted it, and contrary to what some would have you think: I am NOT making this stuff up!!! The facts are the facts... and the fact is that murder in N.O. is up 30% for 2007 and now holds the record for the HIGHEST per capita MURDER rate in the nation. 17 killings per 100,000 people. That means that 1 in every 5,882 was murdered. WOW!!!

Say, if you're planning to visit N.O., I'd like to be included in your will.

Well y'all still don't get it. Perhaps you should stay up on the news...it was the FBI that labeled N.O. the "Bloodiest City in the Nation" just yesterday, I just quoted it, and contrary to what some would have you think: I am NOT making this stuff up!!! The facts are the facts... and the fact is that murder in N.O. is up 30% for 2007 and now holds the record for the HIGHEST per capita MURDER rate in the nation. 17 killings per 100,000 people. That means that 1 in every 5,882 was murdered. WOW!!!

No, I don't think you are "getting it". Look at where and why the murders are commited and you will see that it is druggies killing druggies. Tell the rest of the story. Are you, by chance, a member of the media?;)

The killings are drug related or retaliatory for the most part and that's a fact. Why do you insist on misrepresenting the facts.

And for your information, the FBI stats for 2007 won't be available for a long time.

I'm pretty sure that not a single person murdered in New Orleans last year was a tourist----unless you consider people coming here to buy drugs "tourists".

As I said in an earlier post, you are in far greater danger of dying on a highway in Texas than on a French Quarter street. So kingfish78734 stay on your porch.

With minimal research for "The rest of the story", I found this...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/11/18/dangerous.cities.ap/

OMG, I´ve spent more nights in St. Louis than in NOLA and I´m still alive!! Not to mention the nights I´ve spent in Chicago or Minneapolis which weren´t considered for this ranking because of incomplete data.

Hey folks, I can´t tell you the number of murders here in Munich, Germany, but it´s less than 10 per year (with 1.3 Mio inhabitants). Recently some people were bashed in several Munich subway stations (one because he asked the two guys to stop smoking inside the subway, the other because he asked the guys to turn down the volume of his MP3 player). I won´t warn anyone to use the subway. It´s still one of the safest in the world!

steamboats

who never felt unsafe in NOLA pre and post Katrina and who is travelling with nearly 8 y old DD.

I have to apologize. I must have transposed the 7 and the 1. It's not 17 murders per 100,000. It's 71. Let's see, that makes it ONE of EVERY FOURTEEN HUNDRED EIGHT people were MURDERED in the fine city of New Orleans. There is a bloodbath going on there and some of you are just as blind as Nagin and are buying into the Nagin rhetoric. It amazes me.

So, what I want you to do is this: Sit back and ask yourself (really consider it mind you, don't just dismiss it out of hand). Why are the drug dealers killing each other? Is it for money? Drugs? What? Do they kill and rob each other, back and forth, over and over again ad nauseum without any change? Do they just hold onto the money and drugs they just gained waiting to be robbed or killed by another dealer? Is the same money and drugs changing hands from one to another dealer or gangbanger without any outside money coming in?

Of course not. They would have to be living in a closed microcosm, a finite system for that. They are getting the money they use to buy drugs from THEIR suppliers from somewhere, right? Now, do you think these dealers are otherwise model citizens, holding down 9-5 jobs, contributing to the rebuilding of society? No? Then where are they getting the money? Do they go out of town to rob, fence the TV or jewelry or tools they just stole? Do they maybe go to Biloxi to rob the tourists there, so that N.O. won't get a bad rep for being unsafe to tourists? No?

THEN WHERE ARE THEY GETTING THE MONEY? And where do they SPEND the money? Ahh, yes, they must spend the money at their local corner grocery, right? I don't think so.

No, they are a VITAL part of the economy in New Orleans. They, in fact DO go to the French Quarter to spend their money. Don't you think drug dealers enjoy a nice expensive dinner? Might they be walking right next to YOU? This DEALER or that GANGSTER....You know.... the one responsible for that murder last night, ........guess what?.....He may just be eyeballing YOU for YOUR cash. Or to rape YOUR daughter......or maybe to KILL you or your family for whatever you might have. That's him, the one smiling all the while, making you feel like you're in a nice safe place.

To think or FEEL that you are safe in New Orleans is utterly foolish. For anyone, including "Hizzoner" the Mayor, or the Pollyanna's on this board to say otherwise is irresponsible and UNCONSCIONABLE!! As well as just plain DANGEROUS!

Is your very LIFE worth it? Is your family's?

kingfish,

Take a moment and look at this site...

http://www.cqpress.com/media/citycrime2007.html

This is the same Congressional Quarterly that released the FBI statistics you mentioned earlier.

As for the "gangbangers" that you asked about, a simple FACT is that they don't commit the crimes that you listed in any tourist area so I am not worried about bringing my family to The Quarter. Locals can only state what they see first-hand. We see many, many families there on any given day.

The opinion of someone who is "on site" has much more value than a tirade by someone who heard/read something, or am I wrong? The past few days we were all over New Orleans from The French Quarter, The Garden District, The CBD to Metairie and The West Bank with a portion of our family and some friends. At no time or place did we feel "unsafe". That is not to say that a crime can never happen to someone at any given time, sad to say but it can happen anywhere, just as it did in your fair city a few days ago.

Hizzoner is not exactly what we call Willy Nagin here but that will do.;)

Congratulations, Kingfish. I think it is highly likely you will win the Pulitzer Prize for Yellow Journalism. Quite the work of fiction and not an ounce of truth.

The murders are over turf, respect, and/or retaliation. You should know something about retaliation and revenge. That's your motive, isn't it?

And no, the gang bangers do NOT frequent the French Quarter - most are not even old enough to drink legally - they stay mostly in their neighborhood unless they are out stirring up trouble in some other gang's territory. And that's the truth.

Tourists are not targets of any violent crime although an occasional pocket may be picked.

You are an alarmist!!! I work in the downtown New Orleans area EVERYDAY!! I have never felt unsafe. You obviously know nothing about this area. If you hate this city so much, why are you interested in this forum? You know, people do cruise out of Texas. Maybe your energy could be better spent in the gulf coast forum.

nolaAlive,

Were you in The Quarter for NYE?

We had a balcony on Decatur across from the Jax parking lot. Loved it!

Of course. It was packed! The weather was PERFECT! I wasn't murdered, robbed, raped, pocket picketed or anything bad. Didn't see or hear of anyone else having to deal with badness. Cops all over the place and of course, news media. I doubt they reported how peaceful everything was.

TYBfLyEaBRLbDikWoTmENOj1FCLQ3pn+0300.jpg

lQkHQ7S1p7ZKkG4l8sN8KzHzdVFDo6u90300.jpg

xfTImsf7zwt2idFixyxZoHLHyidE4VMy0300.jpg

zUidr0tDDu6KPGH0G7x-4LfAkT9towV-0300.jpg

4EIHBpfpHkGT9o4qsomyX8TqW-c-a3XM0300.jpg

0Pp7ZFF4clWavcXcUbK1eqehzWnYugSI0300.jpg

Archived