Sightseeing and Safety in French Quarter

jp2001

I see the king of Internet searches is back. A tragedy from over a year ago, but still not tourist related.

More yellow journalism and posting by a person obsessed with spreading propaganda about New Orleans.

The portrayal is not accurate. Tourists are not targets. Drug dealers and gang members are. If you are a drug dealer or gang member, New Orleans may not be the place for you. For tourists, it is a great place.

I see the king of Internet searches is back. A tragedy from over a year ago, but still not tourist related.

More yellow journalism and posting by a person obsessed with spreading propaganda about New Orleans.

The portrayal is not accurate. Tourists are not targets. Drug dealers and gang members are. If you are a drug dealer or gang member, New Orleans may not be the place for you. For tourists, it is a great place.

How is it "yellow" journalism? This HAPPENED. On Thursday. There are people who are sick and tired of New Orleans being the most dangerous city in America.

I guess you're not one of them. You prefer to pretend that there is no problem. Or, rather, you would like for the tourists to think there is no problem.

Kudos to these folks to have the nads to stand up and say something.

The story is from over year ago. This is 2008. Hello? Get a clue!

You mix an occasional fact in with your obviously jaded and misguided interpretation and your original works of fiction. Your obsession and hatred of the city is well known. Both locals AND tourists dispute your posts. First hand personal knowledge trumps Internet searches by an outsider every time.

You need professional help.

The story is from over year ago. This is 2008. Hello? Get a clue!

You mix an occasional fact in with your obviously jaded and misguided interpretation and your original works of fiction. Your obsession and hatred of the city is well known. Both locals AND tourists dispute your posts. First hand personal knowledge trumps Internet searches by an outsider every time.

You need professional help.

You're right. The 2nd Annual march happened this past Thursday. You need to watch your local news.

You're right. The 2nd Annual march happened this past Thursday. You need to watch your local news.

You continued to wear blinders and refuse to see the truth. The truth is that tourists are not targeted and there is police presence in typical tourist areas. It is not a minefield.

Thank you for your disservice.

Even in some violent neighborhoods, progress is being made, no thanks to the meddling of outsiders.

" Ken Foster and Baty Landis, founders of the group Silence Is Violence, which organized last year's march, said there was still a long way to go, but progress has been made.

Landis pointed out efforts by the police to connect with the community and progress by the district attorney's office under Keva Landrum-Johnson, who took over when Eddie Jordan resigned last year.

Earlier this week, law enforcement officials lauded the 93 percent conviction rate of a prosecution team created a year ago to focus on violent offenses. By year's end, the Violent Offenders Unit of the district attorney's office had secured 54 guilty verdicts or pleas and an average sentence of 16 years for those convicted, stats released for the unit show.

"

Ok, a few things - Royal Street doesn't intersect with Jackson Square - it's a block away. When you get to Orleans St. (the back of the Cathedral) you go a block towards the river (wouldn't want you to get lost <G>).

Is there a particular reason you're going to the French Market? I'm thinking you're talking about the old French Market - the open air one. Right now it's being remodeled and is only about 1/2 open - and that's being generous. I don't recommend it to anyone right now because there just isn't much of value there. The shops along Decatur between Gov. Nichols and Jackson Square are open and great.

Not sure the 360 is open, I know the WTC is in flux right now - in the process of being sold and redone.

Other than that your walk is definitely do-able and all of those areas are considered safe during the times you're planning on visiting.

Nighttime - I'd encourage strolling down Bourbon to see what's going on. Bourbon between Canal and St. Philips is considered safe. Cajun Cabin does have good Cajun/Zydeco at times. Unless you have tickets at House of Blues or plan on eating there I wouldn't consider it - but then I've never been to the bar there. Kerry's Irish Pub is a great place. Jimmy Buffet Margaritaville - IMHO is a tourist place, so I don't go there <G>. Funky Pirate is great jazz/blues especially if Big Al is there - another good jazz place on Bourbon is Fritzel's. Haven't been to Palm Court Jazz Café or Krazy Corner, so can't tell you about them - actually I probably have been there, but they didn't make an impression. Bombay Club is a very small, what I'd call intimate place. Music wise I've only heard a piano there.

The other area you should consider is the Marigny club area - Frenchman Street. D.B.A., Snug Harbor, Spotted Cat and others. Great music. This area is also considered safe.

Getting to/from Bourbon Street and Marigny - it is walkable, and I wouldn't have any problem walking it during the day, but probably wouldn't do it at night. The lower Quarter (from St. Philips to Esplanade) and most of the Marigny is residential area and not as busy. I would cab it between the areas. I'd recommend either cabbing it from hotel to Frenchman and then back to Bourbon and walking back to the hotel from there or walking to Bourbon, seeing what's there and then cabbing it to Frenchman and then back to the hotel. I wouldn't skip the Frenchman area just because the music there is great - and the cab rides won't be that long or expensive.

Cruise morning - Annette's hasn't reopened since Katrina and I don't think Begue's serves breakfast. I would recommend Petunia's - I've always been happy there, although I've heard it's been slipping lately. Another good breakfast place IMHO is Fleur de Lis. Of course if you just want a light breakfast you could do beignets and cafe au lait at Cafe du Monde (you need to do that at some time in your trip anyway).

Just back from NOLA. Felt safer than ever. The city is really clean and the panhandlers are not there! Did not go on Bourbon Street b/c of the football crowds. Everything was great and wonderful!

Go, have a good time, but be careful as you would in any other city or your hometown if you were walking on the streets at night!

The areas that the OP asked about, the French Quarter and the Riverwalk/Downtown area are perfectly safe for walking. It's hard to avoid looking like a tourist, because let's be real, other than Harrah's and the Aquarium, as a local I might visit these places every few years, while tourists are arriving every single day. It is probably better to look like a tourist, because the police are very protective of the French Quarter and the music industry.

I am sorry for the loss of Kingfisher's friends. If you live anywhere for decades, you will encounter the tragedies of life. It's possible to make friends with the wrong people or to unknowingly make an enemy. Yes, I too have a drive-by shooting story. But, guess what, it didn't happen anywhere in the part of town where our poster will be visiting. My story may be entertaining to me, but I would be just wasting everybody's time by sharing it here and pretending it had any relevance to the tourist. If someone asks about visiting the Field Museum in Chicago, would I respond with crime stats from Gary, Indiana? No, I recognize that there is no such thing as a huge metro area having "a" crime rate. Different neighborhoods have very different crime rates.

I never cab and always walk while visiting the areas the poster asked about. My only comment is that if it's open, I can never pass by the aquarium. However, I'm a local and a member, and I can understand why it might be considered a bit pricey to non-members with limited time.

My DW and I were in NOLA the weekend before Thanksgiving. We drove from Atlanta (murder capitol of USA for many years) and saw firsthand the devistation on the way into the city two years after Katrina. We started thinking, "maybe this wasn't the best idea to come here so soon." We exited off Canal and checked in at The Royal St Charles, two short blocks from the Quarter.

Had a FRIGGIN BLAST. NOPD made themselves seen and even saw the Guardian Angels patroling on bikes. Oh, and NOFD had their engine on Bourbon St (very popular with the young ladies). I highly recommend when you actually visit the city to try Acme Oyster House and for some good R&B check out Sing-Sing (sp?) lounge. Moral of the story stay on the beaten path, I mean no way I'm walking around many parts of Atlanta once the sun goes down.

Oh and Kingfish, I'm guessing your a huge Neal Boortz fan (remember he's only an entertainer ;)).

Archived