All Around Wrap 10/31/07 cruise-QM2

mak5598

:) I was on the QM2 10/31/07 cruise to the Carib - getting ready to cruise again in January, 2008. Looking for a fashion tip on a wrap.

While on the QM2 some friends told me about an exquisite wrap they saw on someone that looked like an all around type wrap that could be worn with most formals. I'm pretty sure they said it was white brocade and had some trim on it. Can anyone give me more details on it or have any idea where I could purchase such an item? It is hard enough packing everything you need for a cruise without having to worry about a separate wrap for each formal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a link to Nordstrom.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/C/6006944/0~2376779~6008000~6006944?mediumthumbnail=Y&viewAll=1&tuid=00000418-006c-085e-6361-745f6d656469&catID=6006944&Category=6006944

I don't know if it will work (the link,) but you could go on any store's website and get some ideas. The wrap sounds lovely. In my experience, the wraps are always in the scarf/glove section of any department store.

Now for my question.

We're sailing on QM2 on the 30th. The documentation states that there are three formal nights, one semi-formal, and the rest elegant casual. Was this the case? Our last QM2 trip had three formal, two elegant casual and the rest semi formal. I'm covered either way, because casual on the QM2 means a tie and jacket for gentlemen and dressy clothing for ladies.

How was the itinerary? We're still working on excursions. I haven't even thought much about the trip until I realized that Thanksgiving is a week from today and we leave a two weeks from Friday.

I hope you can find an elegant wrap. If you are going in January, there will probably be some gorgeous ones on sale after Christmas.

--Judy

I was on the 10/31 QM2 cruise as well. I believe I saw a woman in the Brittania restaurant (late seating) with a wrap that sounds similar to what you're talking about. It was absolutely stunning! I so wish I would have asked her where she came across such a lovely wrap. I wonder if posting this on the Cunard board might get a better response - possibly even from the owner of the wrap. Inquiring minds want to know!!

I was on the QE2 on 10/31 and saw this beautiful woman wearing a stunning wrap. She did eat at the late sitting and I wished I would have approached her and asked where she bought that. I am a quite a fashionable woman being from NYC and I have never seen anything so stunning. I have searched the Internet and I came up empty with the description of that wrap. I am hoping she reads the boards or the wonderfull, delightfull gentlemen she was with and respond to our request.

I feel like I will just die if I do not have one!

Waiting with baited breath for a response.:) :)

When you searched on the internet for this wrap, did you just go to some particular websites? Perhaps you could use Google and put in wraps or shawl and tons of stuff should show up. I was looking for a particular type of scarf last year and so many sites came up, I was bedazzled.

Also, this woman could have had this wrap sewn by her seamstress to her specifications. That's what I would do if this means so much to you to have something so similar. Good Luck! Have a great cruise!

Not sure if I am flattering myself.

Is this the wrap we are discussing here?

Someone sent me over here.

Sorry about the lousy picture.

I look cross-eyed and ticked off! (and the non-matching purse- Once again proving you cannot have too many pairs of shoes nor too many purses!)

I have a better pic at home, but this will at least tell if this is what you all were looking for!

(And where were all of you on the trip when I hosted two get-togethers for Cruise Critic members in the Commodore Club!) <G>

Karie,

who hopes she isn't being too conceited to think you might be talking about HER wrap!

P.S. In case you didn't get the memo, Cobalt Blue is the new Black.

We on Cunard boards have decreed it so! <LOL> In fact the World cruise on QE2 will have hordes of gorgeous women in cobalt blue gowns wandering the ship! I'm thinking of renting my gowns out for the occasion, since I won't be on board until the wee very end of it!

Move over, Red Hat Society!

2047248327_cobaltdressandwrap.jpg.11c71263f0ca56f0aea41c4d7c378b7d.jpg

Hi Karrie....

You look wonderful!

Thanks, SD- Thought not nearly as marvelous as you do in your new white ball gown! That dress is absolutely fabulous!m

Now I still don't know if this is the wrap that was spoken of. It does seem to match the description, (White on white brocade with a sort of rolled trip all around the hem) and I did get a few similar remarks in the Britannia, including the marvelous gay couple from California who stopped me to ask about it on my way out of dinner that night.

Not sure if I want to admit to how I procured this lovely and much sought after garment. I had looked for such a wrap (to take the eye away from the less attractive body attributes) and finally scored just before we left! In fact, modeled it for Marc during the final game of the World Series!

I rarely stop by the fashion boards (though there are a few threads I have followed avidly) since the Cunard board takes up pretty much all of my time these days! But someone directed me to this thread.

Well, I await the verdict, and wonder who all of these people were who were on the ship that I didn't get to (knowingly) meet! I even had a Cruise Critic sign on my cabin door, got our second meeting into the daily program and walked around a number of times with a Cruise Critic sign in my hand!

Thanks again.

You are too kind!

Karie

P.S. Just cut out a few ads in the Courant's "Holiday Wishes" advert segment on learning ballroom dancing!)

Oh, I'll make it back here! I just want to make sure before I make a total fool of myself (I Love basking in the brilliance of my one-of-a-kind wrap) that this is really the one people are referring to! I'd hate to think I am making a total fool of myself thinking this is about my beloved cape when it is not!

I will say this first. This cape is VERY affordable, should not (now) be too difficult to come up with (although I truly have looked YEARS literally for one such as this, and this is EXACTLY what I have been looking for for years!) Sometimes you have to step outside the box, and serendipity will find you in unexpected places.

I am truly very proud of this wrap- pleased as punch, really, even more so because I did not have to break the bank to get it! It is very versatile, as some said. And it hides a multitude of sins! even after all those rich desserts!

I'll be back later to post the tale of the perfect formal wrap.

Karie

P.S. I didn't try it that way, but it could even be reversible! The inside is satin pearl, no visible seams. The trim is on the edge, so it goes equally well either way, though the faux fur collar might have to be repositioned. Easily done. I did it on the ship, and may change that. Snaps or something to make it removable would make it easier to clean if necessary. The Dry cleaner has done that with the sequined trim on some of my dresses. rather than taking it off and resewing it each time!

Okay, I will tell my secret. But you must promise not to tell a single soul!

After trudging through store after store (repeatedly) I was just finishing up (and tired and discouraged with my left leg numb) at TJ Maxx. I had found a nice faux fur scarf that I thought I could do something with. I even looked at throws and tablencloths and such, in case I could modify one or something! (I bought one last year, but it just wouldn't work)

I was just getting ready to leave when I spotted JUST WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR! Cape Style, white on white brocade, inside was a lovely white pearl satin.

BUT WHAT WAS IT DOING ON A RACK WITH CHRISTMAS TREE SKIRTS??!!

Well, probably because it WAS one! So for, I think, $20 or $25, plus the $15 I spent on the fur scarf, I had my wrap. Snip off the ties (Where you tie it together under the tree) sew on the fur scarf, with a little diagonal tuck near the bottom of the opening (front) and no one is the wiser. It looks absolutely stunning, as suggested by several. No one was the wiser, unless I told them! I am not a seamstress, believe me. A couple of quick stitches on board the ship was all I needed on the "fur collar" You could even use a lovely brocade type scarf or make a simple scarf from a fabric matching your gown for the collar, or make it interchangeable to wear with various outfits. Now is certainly the time to find tree skirts fairly reasonably. The length is perfect for an elbow length cape (I am 5'6") the edges are a sort of rope style trim. You would never know the secret if I didn't tell, even examining it up close. I chose one with a "neutral" motif, not a Christmas pattern on the brocade. The possibilities are endless if you look around. Like I said, Just think outside the box. Folks were enamored of it. People stopped me in the hall to "inspect" it and ask where I found it!

I figured I was either going to pull it off, or people would pile presents at my feet! <LOL> Either way, I WIN!

There! now you know my secret!

BTW, I left you a message on the ship, to come to the Friday get-together at the commodore. Ben Lyons and David Pepper and social Director Jennie all showed up, as did many Cruise Critic members! (and a few new ones and lurkers!) You'll have to send me a picture of you and your hubby, We may have pics of you. We took nearly a thousand shots on board. If you were anywhere near us, we took shots at Karaoke, Singalong with Greg Sampson, Pub Trivia with Steve Weller and Mike. People on shore excursions or in town with us! We had a printer in our cabin (small photo printer) and went around giving them out to people we took pictures of. Who knows! We might have one of you! We were at table 308 (Port side third tier near the window, aft) in the Britannia for dinner. (second seating) table for 8 with six other people, all of whom had ties to the Yorkshire area. (two couples and a mother daughter who were a riot!) We sang at our table (late when most were gone) and had a great time!

I am sorry we did not get to meet (at least I don't think we did!)

Send me a pic of y'all and I'll see if we got you in any of our candids!

My email is parrothead-av8r AT mindspring DOT com

Karie,

Gee, now that my secret is out, do y'all respect me any less? <G>

P.S. You should see our costumes for he buccaneer ball! We won that!

I loved your story about the cape. It reminds me of that "Designing Women" show that was on a few years ago, when one of the ladies wore a Christmas Tree skirt as a real skirt - she said it was tight at the waist or something like that.

It does sound lovely, though.

I have gotten a few shawls and things from this on line store: http://www.homeandfashionimports.com/ I love their lined wool poncho for more casual wear.

Thanks all, it got so quiet here after I posted the truth I thought you were all disgusted!

Goldearrings, that is a wonderful page. I am doing a crossing to England in April, (WE2 over, 4 days across the pond then QM2 bac) I will probably need something more since this last was a Caribbean cruise and I can't wear the Christmas Tree Skirt EVERY night! <LOL>

I also bought a plus sized pareo- Black sheer fabric with black worked into int in a lacy sort of way. Extra long, so made a beautiful wrap. I wore it a couple of times.

Speaking of Designing Women, anyone remember the episode when (I can't remember the name- the more mature and settled of the bunch) sat on a piano and sang, "I'd love to get you on a slow boat to China!"

Jimmy Buffett covered it too. I'd love to have a copy of that episode. Searched for it on the web, but to no avail. Now that everyone is posting to you Tube, I should look again!

I loved that show, and I don't watch TV. But they reminded me of so many strong women I grew up with, being originally from Tennessee (Bless her heart!)

I'm still catching up from my trip, but some of these pictures of people's gowns have me wowed!

Karie

I love it! You are so Scarlett O'Hara! I laughed here all by myself because I was looking for the "perfect" wrap too. Found it on a store on e-bay. Burn-out black velvet with a subtle picture of a womans head on the back with the zodiac signs around it. Sounds stupid I know, but it's awesome, and I love it. Good for you.

Archived