Cruise Critic Website?

Krazy Kruizers

Hi:) I was over on Fodor's Site...and they suggested for more comprehensive cruise information try Cruise Critics!---that was back in January 2003.

Boy, were they correct:D

After booking the Maasdam I did a google on the ship to learn all I could. I either directly found my way here, or another site pointed me here. I'm not addicted, I could give it up any time I want. Really I can.;) :D

I am relatively new to Jean's standard but late January of 2003 we were trying to figure out what type of vacation we wanted for Spring 2003 so I was using AOL's search engine for cruises. I found the Cruise Critics Web site and started doing lots of reading about different cruise lines up to that point we had only one cruise under our belt and that was with RCL and we liked the cruise but thought there might be a better fit for type of cruise line for us. After lots of reading and lurking on the different boards I started to join in on the HAL board where I felt there were more cruisers with the likes and dislikes of my DH and myself shortly after we booked our first HAL cruise on the Zuirderdam.

In 1994 when we were planning a cruise, AOL had a feature on cruising that pointed me to the Cruise Critic message boards on AOL.

Cruise Critic was a part of the original AOL content and, in early 2000, it "spun off" as an independent website. Once it was accessible to all web users, it exploded.

From anecdotal evidence only, it appears that we get much of the new folks from referrals from the current membership and most others from web searches on Google, Yahoo, etc.

About 4 years ago we were watching the travel channel and this site was mentioned. I copied down the url. Really didn't think too much about it at the time. When we returned from a couple of cruises in the spring of 2001, I tried to post reviews on another website that went belly-up. So I tried this site and fell in love with it and all the information here. I also go to a few other sites but like this one the best.

Back in the year 2000, I came across it accidentally when I was on AOL and thier travel page. I came across this and couln't find it for a time after I signed on. Then I forgot my screen name and password and they had to send it to me again. I have been here for four years now. Sometimes I write a lot and sometimes I don't--as I get the time. As I get closer to November I will be on line more. I have found out some neat things from the posts.

Himself

When researching the Oosterdam before booking her for our next cruise, the "reviews" section came up. I noticed there were also discussion boards so I sampled them. Surprisingly (I've been using discussion boards, usenet, email discussion lists, etc. for almost 20 years now) the signal-to-noise ration on the HAL board was much higher than average. So I stayed, and I'm still enjoying it!

-dave

After I booked my first cruise, I wanted to read everything I could before I left (I had a year to wait after first booking...)

I spent more time on another site then - but this one seems to be picking up steam, so I'm here now!

I originally found the site on aol several years ago (must be 8 years ago? maybe a little more?) -- that was several bulletin board designs ago -- and before it was on the internet -- at that time it was only available through aol. I tune in to the site on and off (definitely related to how much I am cruising -- it is too difficult to monitor when I have no dollars to cruise, like during the four years my son was in college) -- really enjoy the boards --

I do not wish to brag, but I believe that it was a question that I posted that started the original thread of "Whatever happened to?"

Once (and only once to my knowledge) there was a mention of CC in teeny-tiny print in an itty-bitty ad in Cruise Travel Magazine.

I copied down the mention, looked it up when I got back to the office, and liked what I found.

As they say, the rest is history.

When I first went on line, I found another Cruise Site that I went to alot. I once asked if people there knew of any other sites and some people posted about CC. I came to take a look.......been here ever since.

I found it through Google after finding a mention of CC on another cruise message board. This was after my DH had booked us on two cruises this fall and winter, and I thought it would be interesting to read all the messages about cruising.

Boy!! It has been much more than interesting!! There is so much to learn from the experienced cruisers and especially on CC.

Slinkie

Archived