Passport Problems

brcris75

What is a 'delayed' birth certificate? You CAN get one without...Got my first passport in 1971, didn't get a copy of my birth cert. until last year. Did have a paper called Notification of Birth Registration and think I must have used that. E.

However, if there were no birth certificates issued at the time of the person’s birth, they can have what is known as a “delayed birth certificate” issued by that state or county. In order to obtain a delayed certificate, it is necessary to provide several pieces of evidence of their age. If these are considered satisfactory, the government will issue the certificate and it will be accepted as legal proof of birth by all U.S. federal and state government agencies.

http://oneworldtree.com/learn/library/article.aspx?article=11202

delayed birth certificates are issued when the birth certificate wasn't filed within the 1st year of a child's life, for example, a child was born at home with a mid-wife, and the parents didn't go file for one. That kind of thing. I'm sure there are all kinds of stories out there, here's one for example, and how it can be a problem in applying for a passport.

http://www.journalgazette.net/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070821/LOCAL0201/708210312

delayed birth certificates are issued when the birth certificate wasn't filed within the 1st year of a child's life, for example, a child was born at home with a mid-wife, and the parents didn't go file for one. That kind of thing. I'm sure there are all kinds of stories out there, here's one for example, and how it can be a problem in applying for a passport.

http://www.journalgazette.net/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070821/LOCAL0201/708210312

Thanks bubbles

Good Article. Whom would of thought that this would of been a problem!

My Mom is one who does not have an official birth certificate. She had no problems getting her passport once she was able to get the delayed birth certificate, but getting the delayed birth certificate was the issue for her.

We had to obtain a delayed birth certificate for my grandmother to get her passport. Getting the DBC turned out to be much easier than we feared as she was born in 1920 by a midwife and her birth was not recorded, as was the norm in those days. Luckily her father had signed an affidavit (sp?) stating her name and birth date, etc. and had it notarized several years ago. With that and her marriage license and voter registration that were on file with the state they issued it within days. Now we've mailed it in to the passport office and are keeping our fingers crossed! I just wondered if anyone else had used one and if it was accepted without a problem.

Archived