Luggage question

sdear

It has to fit through the same size scanner as the airports use for carry on luggage. I have personally never seen them allow a full size suitcase carried on since 9/11.

The porters on the dock will let you know. ;)

There used to be signs at the terminal in Miami that said specifically 11 inches deep and 17 wide is okay. If it is a lot bigger you run the risk of being asked to check it. Ours are a tad over in each dimension and have never had a problem.

Don't trust the porters, just walk by saying thank you with a smile.

Just inside the terminal before you get to the xray machines there are security type port employees looking over you papers before you go to the checkin lines. A lot of these people will try to send you out to check your bags with their friends along the curb. The more they can intimidate the more tips their friends can make.

A cruise or two back I noticed the signs had been moved to an out of the way place where they would go un-noticed and they could push their weight around more. These people are minimum wage types and get their jollys acting all authoritarian.

If you are carrying a full size case (20 x 14) or larger you can count on checking you bags.

We never check any bags after two losses on our first two cruises. We have done battle with these types and now carry a measuring tape in the outside pocket. If they puff up and start with the "You gotta check dat bag at the front" I pull out he tape and they shut up. This works very well for us even on the 14 and 11 night cruises when we each took two bags of the same size.

On the short cruises such as 3 or 4 day SOS, we put the luggage on through the porters but take it off ourselves. Doesn't have to pass through x-ray on the way off, just past the nose of the dog if you self debark early.

As for the porters, I stand there and watch until our bags are actually put in the cages. If someone feels the need to steal my suitcase of clean but used clothes after that, go for it. I'll just buy new stuff on the ship.

Thanks all for the replies.

I am taking my elderly mom on the cruise....and I was hoping I could just do mid size luggage for each and carry them myself. Sounds like I will just check it...and make it easier on myself haha. I was hoping to take a full size and have lots of room for gifts :p

We are going on a 3 night cruise on SOS, and are you allowed to carry on a full size suitcase?

I hate to check it if we can carry it on.

Thanks

Whenever I travel -- including when I cruise -- I usually bring a carry-on with me with all my bathroom needs, and a 2-day change of clothes. Our cruises and other vacations have always been longer than 3 nights, so my wife and I usually bring extra luggage -- when embarking or disembarking, we leave these for the crew to bring aboard and subsequently ashore.

On such a short cruise, I would suggest bringing several carry-ons with all your needs and not worry about more clothes and more luggage. I don't know the regulations about bringing on a full-size suitcase, but as a passenger, I would resent being squeezed just because other passengers are allowed to carry full-size luggage before their rooms are ready, and in the middle of everyone disembarking.:eek:

I have no intention of "squeezing" you or anyone out . I only asked a simple question, as I didnt know if you could do it on shorter cruises.

People carry off full size luggage off ships all the time. I haven't heard of anyone being "squeezed", but I do consider myself to have manners , so I wouldn't be running folks over lol.

I have no intention of "squeezing" you or anyone out . I only asked a simple question, as I didnt know if you could do it on shorter cruises.

People carry off full size luggage off ships all the time. I haven't heard of anyone being "squeezed", but I do consider myself to have manners , so I wouldn't be running folks over lol.

There is confusion on the docks and on board during embarkation and disembarkation and passages in the ship are not always wide open -- let alone where you have to wait in the terminal or on board before embarking and when disembarking. I did not want to imply you have no manners. If passengers are allowed to carry full-sized luggage and it causes problems, it is the fault of the cruise line company.

My thoughts are that it would be so much easier to allow the bags to be checked through. Sure, you have to wait a bit of time after boarding for your luggage and it might take 5 minutes or so to find your bags when you disembark. But, the hassle of dragging bags along when you're trying to manage another person, or just the fact that you have anything cumbersome at all makes checking bags so much simpler.

I prefer to keep life simple.

Something else to think about is that if you get to the port early and board early, say before 1, anything you have carried on has to be carried with you throughout the ship. RCI is pretty strict these days about allowing people into the cabins before 1. The doors in the hallways are closed and there is usually someone "guarding" the doors.

I wouldn't hesistate to carry my luggage off if I could, but mine weighs a ton, so no way could I lift it to carry it. I always bring too much stuff.

Enjoy your cruise.

Talking about manners, what about these people who send their replies with large flashing coloried signs and moving images? There are people who may be sensitive to this but who also log on to CC to talk about cruising.:mad:

Talking about manners, what about these people who send their replies with large flashing coloried signs and moving images? There are people who may be sensitive to this but who also log on to CC to talk about cruising.:mad:

I guess you are talking about me as one of the people with no manners as I have a flashing signature, that you don't have to look at. There is a way to remove them from your screen. I don't know why you are always so negative in your posts. Isn't there ever anything positive in your life? If you have posted positive things, guess the negatives override them.

Arguing with everyone doesn't help things either. Also, if you don't like what we talk about on CC, you don't have to sign in.

I guess you are talking about me as one of the people with no manners as I have a flashing signature, that you don't have to look at. There is a way to remove them from your screen. I don't know why you are always so negative in your posts. Isn't there ever anything positive in your life? If you have posted positive things, guess the negatives override them.

Arguing with everyone doesn't help things either. Also, if you don't like what we talk about on CC, you don't have to sign in.

I have to agree..i am becoming sorry I asked this question.

The attitudes on here lately are really getting out of hand :(

There are some very helpful people on this board, but lately the sarcasm has gotten out of hand.

Hope everyone has a nice Sunday ! (and I do mean that :p )

It has to fit through the same size scanner as the airports use for carry on luggage. I have personally never seen them allow a full size suitcase carried on since 9/11.

The port scanners allow larger luggage than airports.

We caught the RCI bus from DC for a Canadian cruise this fall, and didn't arrive at the Bayone pier until after 2pm. I rolled my 24 inch roller-board [bigger than is allowed on an airplane] onto the ship and directly to my cabin with no trouble with the x-ray machine, employees or passengers.

:

Originally Posted by rgtkkb

The port scanners allow larger luggage than airports.

Alexis:

Hi, I am not going to measure them but,

Not the ports I sail from? Same size as the airports.

I was talking about the size of the scanners, not the size of the luggage allowed.

We caught the RCI bus from DC for a Canadian cruise this fall, and didn't arrive at the Bayone pier until after 2pm. I rolled my 24 inch roller-board [bigger than is allowed on an airplane] onto the ship and directly to my cabin with no trouble with the x-ray machine, employees or passengers.

I never said the luggage had to be the same size as an airplane allows. :confused:

I said the luggage has to fit through the same size scanner the airports use. ;)

My

Alexis: It has to fit through the same size scanner as the airports use for carry on luggage. I have personally never seen them allow a full size suitcase carried on since 9/11. The porters on the dock will let you know.

;)

Archived