Hurtigruten May 21, 2008

Sail With Me

If you just want to be at the northernmost point in Europe, that's North Cape.

Just curious the reason for finding the northernmost city/town.

I have my Nordkapp t-shirt.

No reason, just curious as I was at Thanksgiving and my sister's father-in-law (smart guy Harvard Law) was saying how his daughter (she wasn't there or I would have asked) was going around the World and trying to hit all corners in the US and the World. He was saying how the US farthest North, South and West were in Alaska, Hawaii, and (Islands?) and I remember him saying he could not remember the farthest town North in the World. So, as I was looking at the Hurtigruten catalogue I thought I read something about Hammerfest.....but it didn't look like the farthest North point on a map...

• 1 month later...

I'm just bumping this thread because I'm interested in doing this in 2010. A long way away, I know, and lots of water under the bridge.

Does anyone know what time of year the next year's itineraries and prices appear? I'm thinking late in the previous year, so I will base my planning on 2009 when it appears I guess. The Grand Norway would be my first choice I think, although the northbound seems the ticket if you can't do that, or don't want all that sea-time.

I travelled through Bergen years ago on a ferry from Oso to England, and I admit, I saw very little other than the docks and a fish market. Oslo is very nice, however, and deserves several days.

A question about stability--I know the ships stay close to shore most of the time, but I'm wondering how stable the ships are. How worried should one be about seasickness? I know what the North Sea can be like!

We did the NorthCape/Bergen run back in July 2000, on Nordnorge, which at the time was one of the newer ships in the fleet. We thoroughly enjoyed the trip.

Reference stability, the ship seemed quite stable, but the weather was with us, and its ride/stability were not really put to the test.

• 3 weeks later...

Paul, Thanks so much for all the information you provided on this thread. My wife and I and most likely another couple are planning to do a Norway cruise in Summer 2009 and I am busy devouring all the pictures and info you provided.

Ernie: we have a new email firstparty@bellsouth.net

I'll be happy to answer anybodys questions, anytime.

Lucy Jane: We went the middle of May 2005 and did the 17 day Grand Norway. Have you read our review and seen the pictures? It was the last one before the prices went up for the summer.

Recommend one of the new ships: Midnatsol, Finnmarken or Trollsfjord.

We were on the Midnatsol and never had any weather problems. A little rain and mist, but a smooth ride to us. We occasionally get a little fuzzy, but neither of us gets seasick.

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings to all - Now that we have your attention:

Anybody doing a Norway costal cruise this year 2008. We are in serious thought about doing a Hurtigruten costal cruise for 12 nites from Bergen to Bergen. Our thoughts are to fly into Bergen one or two day before the cruise and staying the nite after the cruise ends. With the exchange rate of one U.S. dollar to 5.09 KOR. it might be the time to go to the Artic Circle. With current 2 for 1 rate it might still be a great deal. Any thoughts or comments - please as we have enjoyed your above posts with pictures.

P and B:)

Hi there

I have booked my parents on the Midnatsol in September through Vantage Travel. They offer a wonderful package which includes flights, 2 nights in Bergen at one of the SAS hotels and one night post cruise in Bergen. My parents live in South Africa so they are making their own flight arrangements to get there but Vantage have been a great company to work with. The cruise looks wonderful and they are very excited.

PaulWN, thanks for the reply. We are a retired couple in our late 50's who have done many different cruise lines, and types of cruises, TranAtl, Mexico, Alaska, Pan Canal, many Carib and even a WindJammer years ago.

This Norway cruise/trip is planned for late Nov and or early Dec., 2008. Yes, we will have to dress in layers and since they have a laundry room we can do that instead of carrying another piece of luggage(extra fee per airlines).

Any suggestions on hotels in Bergen? We will need two nites before and one nite after the cruise. Thinking about staying at the new hotel at the airport for the last nite as our flight leaves at 0630 hrs. Something in the moderate rate range under $225 with breakfast in Europe if that is still possible.

What extra fees are there on these ships such as for a beer,etc? What we are accustomed to doing is watching the scenery knitting and reading and getting off the ship in port and walking around the port(s) as the ship plys its route. Anything in your opinion we should do or not do?

Another couple from the NY/Conn area will be joining us but they are flying in the day of departure(hope all goes well).

Thanks,

Bruton Branch:)

We stayed at the Neptun Hotel and were very happy with it. It was part of the package so we didn't check out any other hotels in Bergen.

It was only 5 or 6 blocks from the fish market, so the location was great.

This is one of the websites that lists the Neptun. I would check out other sites and hotels for location and price. My wife loved the heated bathroom floors in both hotels and on the ship.

http://directrooms.com/norway/hotels/neptun-hotel-bergen-7273.htm

Did you look at our pictures?

I don't know how far you'll go at that time of year, so it's hard to recommend anything. Be aware Norway is about the most expensive country in Europe and alcohol is very expensive. A glass of good aquavit was $10 to $18. Don't know what beer was as I don't drink it.

We stayed at the *** Hotel Hordaheimen booked through eBookers and found it the most affordable and also very comfortable. It had a lot of Norwegians staying and dropping in for meals which is always a good sign.

On board the Hurtigruten ships look out for the 'buy a mug' and get free coffee for the rest of the voyage offer- very worthwhile if you drink much coffee and are onboard for more than 2-3 days. (at least available earlier this year)

There are also water packages and wine packages with your meals where you buy a package for the entire voyage- see in the restaurant for your first meal.

To PaulWN and Gaelsail and all others on this post: Thank you for the info that you all have provided. Did look at the pictures on the above post and thanks again. Like everything else in Europe the prices keep going up as our dollar keeps going south. Have looked Fordor's web site and they have several articles on the Hurtigruten cruises.

Everybody enjoy the rest of the wekend as it is Monday in Australia already!!!

Bruton Branch:)

Thanks Gaelsail,

Does anyone know if their coffee is (good) drinkable? I know a lot of times European coffee can be quite strong. Also, do you recall if they had a soda program like the coffee program where you could buy a special mug and get refills for the trip? We are heavy soda drinkers, do you recall what they charge for softdrinks and what types they had? Thanks for your assistance we leave April 15th for a roundtrip on the Trollfjord.

Don't remember a soda package. All they had when we cruised was the water package. That is pretty much a must get as all they give you is one bottle at dinner. We worked it out that we had at least 3 full bottles of water at all times. The choice is gas (fizzy soda water) or no gas for the water.

Make sure you at least try all the different food. I found out I like whale meat.

Their bread is wonderful. I got stuck on the poppy seed rolls the 2nd day and stayed with that the whole cruise.

The coffee was different depending on where you got it- but seeing as I am from UK perhaps my judgement would be different from yours. You could make your own from sachets of coffee & hot water. You could also get tea.

The only packages I was aware of were the wine & water ones- the latter, as PaulWN says, could either be cooled still or bubbly.

The food is wonderful- especially the buffet and the puddings. I often ate 3 course buffet lunch and then only took 2 courses at dinner. They also vary the mealtimes to allow for port visits eg: starting breakfast early so you can eat before going ashore.

You could get sodas at the 24 hour "cafe" along with snacks, sandwiches, etc. You have to pay for anything there.

Breakfast was always a buffet between certain hours. You could get there anytime between those hours and sit anywhere.

Lunch was always a buffet, but there were some days you had to be there at your assigned time and sit at your assigned table.

Dinner was always served at the assigned time and table. Sometimes by the young lady who cleaned your cabin.

Greetings to all - Now that we have your attention:

Anybody doing a Norway costal cruise this year 2008. We are in serious thought about doing a Hurtigruten costal cruise for 12 nites from Bergen to Bergen. Our thoughts are to fly into Bergen one or two day before the cruise and staying the nite after the cruise ends. With the exchange rate of one U.S. dollar to 5.09 KOR. it might be the time to go to the Artic Circle. With current 2 for 1 rate it might still be a great deal. Any thoughts or comments - please as we have enjoyed your above posts with pictures.

P and B:)

P & B,

We are doing the roundtrip Bergen to Bergen on the Trollfjord for our 35th. anniversary. We depart Bergen on August 28 and we are doing two days pre and two days post in Bergen. Booked our hotels today, have our airfare and are starting to get very excited about this trip. Our friend Captain Stig of Royal Caribbean's Serenade of the Seas lives in Bodo and frequently sails on the Trojjfjord. He helped select our shore excursions for us. Bought the Lonely Planet Norway book and it is chock full of great information.

Paul, we read your review and loved it as well as your pictures. Guess we will have alot to talk about on the Mariner.

We booked the First Hotel Marin for two nights pre and Radisson SAS Hotel Norge for two nights post. Called both this afternoon. The First Hotel Marin even gave us our room number and the gal was so nice she said she gave us a room with a view. Both hotel are pricey at 2495.00 kroner per night which is over $1000 for two nights. It looks like the US dollar is not worth anything in Norway.

Karen and Bob

Paul,

Do they allow you to brng your own wine onboard and take it to dinner? Do you know the prices of the laundry? I love the buy a mug and get free coffee and of course we will buy the water package and perhaps the wine as well. Do you know how much the packages are?

Karen

Karen: Unless things have changed since 2005, you can take pretty much anything onboard. When we boarded in Bergen we just gave them our big luggage and walked on with our carryons. No x-rays anywhere. Same in all the ports. I packed a fairly large pocket knife in my checked luggage and carried it with me everywhere in Norway. We just walked off the ship and back on with no security checks at all. We did have to have the "sticky" of the day displayed to get back on the ship, but that was the extent of any checks.

If I remember right, the water package was 350 Kroner. They did not have the coffee deal then. Coffee was free in the morning, but you had to pay for it in the evening. We would probably not have got the "mug" deal as we don't drink that much coffee. More tea drinkers. And, we don't drink much wine and I don't remember a wine package in 05.

Don't remember how much the laundry was. Can't even really visualize it now. Make sure you have antibiotic salves or sprays like neosporin or Bactine as you have to have a Drs prescription to get any of that in Norway.

It's a totally different experience from the "normal" cruise. Take something to read or your crossword or sudoku puzzles. They do have a daily activity and port sheet. There are safes at the customer service desk for your valuables, passports, plane tickets, etc. They also have maps of the ports.

If you don't have our new email it's firstparty@bellsouth.net

Ask anything and we'll try to answer.

Bruton Branch: I have just 2 words - DO IT.

The only trip we've taken that equals the Norway round trip was 2 weeks in China.

We will do this trip, possible in July 2009 but it may have to wait until 2010 as we are going to the Antarctic next year.

I want to combine this with a stop in Iceland. I received a brochure from Iceland Air and it looks really interesting. I was thinking 2 nights in Iceland, 2 nights in Bergen and the Northbound trip..

Sounds like a good trip to me. we just booked a transatlantic on the Jewel OTS in 9, 2009. From Harwich to LeHarve and Cherbourg, France; Cork and Belfast, Ireland; Reykjavik, Iceland and St Johns, Newfoundland before ending in Boston.

Judy's always wanted to go to Iceland.

BTW, I just answered you on the Celebrity board.

Sounds like a good trip to me. we just booked a transatlantic on the Jewel OTS in 9, 2009. From Harwich to LeHarve and Cherbourg, France; Cork and Belfast, Ireland; Reykjavik, Iceland and St Johns, Newfoundland before ending in Boston.

Judy's always wanted to go to Iceland.

BTW, I just answered you on the Celebrity board.

Got it. thanks!

Archived