two newbie questions

mlanz

First cruise in Feb....two completely unrelated questions.....

1) is there any sort of "newspaper" available on the ship for my vacation "disease" as my wife calls it....getting up pre-sunrise on vacation and much later when I'm @ home? I know paperboy can't pedal his bike as fast as ship goes so I'll try to head off those jokes....

2) From my reading first night dining on cruise is "casual"...is this for dining room? If so what do you wear....I'm kinda looking for cruise definitions of the terms "casual", "formal", etc. since cruise is just my wife and I we have decided to go "old school" Dk suit and classy dress for formal night and little nicer than average for other nights (b/c we want to....nothing against those who want more casual experience).....I was thinking jeans and sportcoat for first night....am I close or would Kahki (sp?) and floral hawaiin (sp?) shirt be more the norm?

Thanks...

On the voyager class ships, in the Library you will find reprints of headlines from Several newspapers, in different languages even. I am not sure what time of the day that they are placed out for your taking. There are chairs to sit in the library, or you are free to take them back to your cabin or wherever it is you wish to enjoy the read.

The first night is casual, which is everything from jeans to dress pants and a shirt. Depending on when your luggage arrives at you room, you might be wearing what you wore on the flight.

If you have any other questions, put them out there, glad to help out.

I should expand on that answer (my husband has the same "disease"). It's not just the Voyager class ships. All ships I have been on have the newspapers. Sometimes (in years past) they have been at the welcome desk. Maybe the location has changed to the library for all of them; I know on the Explorer they were in the library.

.....and you can always log on to the internet (a mere 50 cents a minute; less with package deals) and read a newspaper online.

If you are a newsprint addict, just take "today's" on board with you, and buy a New York Times, Wall Street Journal, USA Today or International Herald Tribune in each port. (These are usually available in port)

your best source for getting news while on the ship with be the cnn head line news which will be on your cabin tv...the library also has news sheet that they put out evry morning in about 5 or 6 languages...short little articles that they pick up from different web sites...little sports and weather and some financial data...just enough to keep you going and your wife happy...as my wife says..."your out in the middle of no where...what are you going to do with this information"...it'll be there when you get home...where what ever you want the first nite...anything except for a bathing suit and tank top...

Archived