binoculars in Suites or not? Maps available?

Fyly

Hello,

I read on the brochures that PH SA SB SC passengers have binoculars and umbrellas in their suites. However, this is not mentioned in the PDF fact sheet from the web site.

Which one is true?

Also, I love maps, do they have maps of the islands where we stop on the ship?

I will be on the westerdam very soon :-)

Thank you all!

Hello,

I read on the brochures that PH SA SB SC passengers have binoculars and umbrellas in their suites. However, this is not mentioned in the PDF fact sheet from the web site.

Which one is true?

Also, I love maps, do they have maps of the islands where we stop on the ship?

I will be on the westerdam very soon :-)

Thank you all!

I enjoy maps also. In the gift shop on the Zuiderdam, I purchased a very nice (large) "map of the Gulf, Caribbean and Atlantic Coast area" for just $2.00. Aside from the map of the entire area, it includes detailed maps of most of the main islands. They must sell these on all of the HAL ships in the caribbean.

There were both binoculars and an umbrella in our SC suite on Westerdam last month. We did not try the binoculars, as we had brought our own, so I cannot say anything about the quality. The Erasmus Library (on the lower floors - not the Explorations Cafe library up by the Crow's Nest) has many travel books and maps available for consultation, though they cannot be taken from the room.

I had an SA suite on the Noordam and it had Bausch & Lomb binoculars. Actually, they were pretty good. We also brought our own Canon Image Stabilizing binoculars and once you try them, you'll never go back. However, it was nice that we had two sets available to us at all times. We plan to do the same next month for our Panama Canal cruise. As for maps ... I always find a book(s) before I leave that has maps and a description of the ports and surrounding area. For example, before an Alaska cruise I found a book that fully described the ports and had a great pull-out map that displayed the entire Inside Passage. Armed with these things I always knew the names of the islands and seaside towns we were sailing past. If you're like me, you like being able to identify the names of places as you either pass them by or stop to visit them. There's plenty of stuff on Amazon that should satisfy your curiosity.

There'll be a sketchy map of the port area (along with shopping info) under your door the night before a port, but nothing that's of any great help in exploring the area.

We find maps on internet visitor bureau, tourist agency or other promotional sites and print them out. If we intend to get any distance from the port, though, it's best to have a guide book available. The maps in the older editions of travel guides are quite useful - and can be purchased inexpensively at used book stores - or simply borrowed from the library.

Archived