Open for Christmas Day?

Angsa

We will be taking the 17 Dec POH sailing and then spend three nights in Waikiki post-cruise.

Does anyone know what are the attractions, shops and restaurants that will be open on Christmas Day? Or are we resigned to eating in hotels and spending a day on the beach?

Or are we resigned to eating in hotels and spending a day on the beach?

Sorry, I have a difficult time seeing the downside in being "resigned" to a day at the beach with a nice meal in a great restaurant. I remember back "in the day" before everyone had cell phones and free long-distance service I'd go to the beach on Christmas morning and then spend part of the afternoon calling friends on the mainland, wishing them Merry Christmas, and apologizing for not having called them earlier because I was at the beach (while they were freezing their okoles off).

Anyway, most tourist attractions and stores will be closed on Christmas. If you really don't want to go the beach/bar/restaurant route why not rent a car and drive around the island?

Well, I was hoping to see more of Honolulu, like visiting Iolani Palace, some other attractions or go shopping, than just sitting on the beach.

Our time is too scarce... 24 Dec we disembark, 25 Dec, 26 Dec, then 10am on 27 Dec we fly back. Now I think 26 Dec is our only full day.

No, places like the Iolani Palace wll be closed on Christmas. You might be able to drive to Punch Bowl or hike up to Diamond Head, both should be relatively quiet. Pearl, PPC, the aquarium, all will be closed as will most of the stores and smaller local restaurants, just as Ka Honu says.

We love spending Christmas/New Year's in Hawai'i for the very reason that you are rueing it. Rent a car, drive around and just enjoy the island at a more relaxed pace. You'll have better memories for it.

Charlie

Well, I was hoping to see more of Honolulu, like visiting Iolani Palace, some other attractions or go shopping, than just sitting on the beach.

Our time is too scarce... 24 Dec we disembark, 25 Dec, 26 Dec, then 10am on 27 Dec we fly back. Now I think 26 Dec is our only full day.

I appreciate your desire to see as much as you can, but please take some time to think of the people who can spend ONE day home with their families. There are still a bunch that will need to work this day in case you need them....police, fire, rescue, medical, hotel (room and dining). Maybe you can take some time to thank them that day.

Driving around the Island is a great suggestion, we did exactly that on Thanksgiving. Didn't get to Diamond Head, but Hanauma Bay was open, but full when we passed it. The Pali was open as well as Byodo Temple and you'll probably get to see some great surf up on the North Shore. Punch Bowl is also a great stop and the entrance is just across from Tantalus Road. When we were there the other end of it was closed, so you may have to backtrack.

For shopping, I'm only guessing, but International Market Place might be open.

Thanks a lot for all your information. Yeah I know lots of people only get 1 day off for the whole year and some don't even that. But I might only get one chance to visit Hawaii all my life so I just thought I should get the most out of it if possible.

Obviously I cannot make people open their businesses just for me, so I am only looking for attractions that are already planning to be open.

• 2 weeks later...

Some Honolulu Restaurants ARE open on Christmas!

At Ala Moana Shopping center:

Kirin Restaurant 10:30 - 10PM

Longhi's 3pm - 10pm

Genki Sushi 10am - 4pm

Besides that there is:

Chef Mavro 1969 S. King St. 5:30pm - 9:30pm

Ruth Chris at 500 Ala Moana Blvd. (808) 599-3860

Sam Choy's (808) 545-7979

Sarento's top of the I at 1777 Ala Moana Blvd. (808) 955-5559

And for things to see or do:

-The Makani Catamaran is open for breakfast, lunch, or evening cruises, complete with delicious food, a full bar, all in their plush, fully-equipped cabin.

-At Sea Life Park by Dolphin Discovery , you can see amazing performances by dolphins, sea lions, and penguins right before your eyes.

-The U.S. Army Museum of Hawaii provides a first-hand perspective on Hawaii’s military history from the Polynesians and Hawaiian royalty to WWIIthrough Vietnam. Gain a better perspective on the history of Hawaii and its role in wartime.

-You could also take a tour on the Waikiki Trolley or the Grand Circle Island Tour to see the north shore of the island.

-Or rent a kayak or snorkel gear from Kailua Sail for even more exploring!

Have a Very Merry Christmas!

PS. Do you golf? Pali and West Loch golf courses (open 7 a.m to 1 p.m.)

In Waikiki.. ALL the boutiques were opened (Armani, Versace etc.) were opened Xmas day well into the evening. Macy's too (but not Ala Moana).

All restaurants in Waikiki were opened too.

Enjoying the windy, cloudy days.

Carolyn

(who's posting this while hearing the hula music in background at the Sheraton Princess K right now)

Archived