project genesis started today

Jimmer

this is what was in my local paper

"work to build the worlds biggest cruise liner starts today.construction of the 220,000 tonne ship is due to start at the aker yards in finland in turku

it does say more stuff about how big it is going to be it says when stood on it's stern would dwarf britains tallest building.

just fought i would post this to see what people think

thanks

jimmer

There are many threads on the Genesis ships already on this site. Something else mentioned on another thread is that they will be home ported from FLL. There is another thread that had pictures (http://www.*****/travelpage/ubb-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=009963) of the constuction going on. Hope the link works.

Gregg

it's ment to hold 5,400 passengers and it ment to be completed by2009 but i don't no when abouts in 2009

I think I read that on here as well awhile ago. The staff is something like 2,600? That's A LOT of humans on one ship, like 8,000:eek: OMG! I wonder what tendering will be like.....probably take awhile that's for sure:(

I think that the biggest drawback would be tendering and disembarking. From what I have read, these time are already a nightmare. Lets hope they have plan to combat this. Also, wouldn't they need two of everything? Imagine the queues to the ice show, flowrider even Wind jammers!

I think that the biggest drawback would be tendering and disembarking. From what I have read, these time are already a nightmare. Lets hope they have plan to combat this. Also, wouldn't they need two of everything? Imagine the queues to the ice show, flowrider even Wind jammers!

I don't want to imagine! Even scarier! Here's the clincher.....THE ELEVATORS!

You would need 50 of them imo!!!

Here is a link with some photos. You can see the Independence in the background of a few.

http://www.*****/travelpage/ubb-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=010054

Thank you for sharing those photos. I got to see both ships one I will be on April 2009 and then a little later that year hopefully Genesis.

I have sailed on Freedom twice and I have not found tendering or disembarkation or lines at the Windjammer a problem. I am ready to try Genesis...:)

I have read on the boards lately that it is rumoured that Genesis will have 2 Flowriders.:eek:

As far as Ice Shows and tendering, disembarking, I am sure RCCL has it all planned out on how they're going to do all these things and then make adjustments to fine tune any problems that arise.

I really doubt they are going to build this ship without a lot of planning ahead of time on how they are going to manage every aspect of dealing with almost 2,000 extra pax and crew.

Bo:)

Thank you for sharing those photos. I got to see both ships one I will be on April 2009 and then a little later that year hopefully Genesis.

I have sailed on Freedom twice and I have not found tendering or disembarkation or lines at the Windjammer a problem. I am ready to try Genesis...:)

To show just how big that first block is, one only has to look at the bus parked to the left. I want to see and hear more about the Genesis before making a decision but I am looking to book the first sailing even though it will be out of FLL in place of Miami.

To show just how big that first block is, one only has to look at the bus parked to the left. I want to see and hear more about the Genesis before making a decision but I am looking to book the first sailing even though it will be out of FLL in place of Miami.

I did notice that small looking little bus :) hope to see you on the first sailing.

With Independence being ready 2 weeks earlier do you suppose this will impact genesis project and an earlier date for Genesis to start revenue sailing?

I was thinking November but now maybe earlier:confused:

I did notice that small looking little bus :) hope to see you on the first sailing.

With Independence being ready 2 weeks earlier do you suppose this will impact genesis project and an earlier date for Genesis to start revenue sailing?

I was thinking November but now maybe earlier:confused:

It's hard to tell with the Genesis being an entirely new class of ship. Sometimes being the first ship in a class can slow things down. I am ready for RCI to announce the first sail date but I know that we have at least until March or so before we hear that.

I really HOPE they launch a site like they did for the Freedom before it came out, that site had a countdown clock and all.....Lets HOPS SO:)

Tim, you know that the RCI PR machine will hit this ship bigger than they did with Freedom. They have a lot of cabins to fill and they will be taking advantage of every chance they get to show off this ship.

Tim, you know that the RCI PR machine will hit this ship bigger than they did with Freedom. They have a lot of cabins to fill and they will be taking advantage of every chance they get to show off this ship.

Cant wait:)

Here is a link with some photos. You can see the Independence in the background of a few.

http://www.*****/travelpage/ubb-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=010054

I love the picture with the buses in it. Given that they can't (I don't think I remember long ramps) drive into the drydock, I would love to see the buses being lowered into the doc by the crains. Of course if they didn't have ramps, then the guests would have to be lowered in as well, which I doubt. Oh well I guess I can just dream of buses flying around from crains! :)

Well from the person that posted those photos in the link above, we know that there is going to be two promenades. One the Royal Promenade and then Central Park located above the RP. He also reported that Central Park will have balcony cabins overlooking the park in place of the window like the RP. Also the back half of the RP will be called the Boardwalk. It will be interesting to see if the comments are correct.

Archived