Best snorkeling...Grand Turk or Half Moon Cay

chewbacca

I posted the same questions on the ports of call board but there does not seem to be alot of movement over there. I thought maybe I could post the same question here!

Which spot would be the best for snorkeling?

TIA!

Definitely Grand Turk! HMC is beautiful btw.:D

I actually didn't snorkel at HMC but snorkeling was awesome in Grand Turk. HMC is such a beautiful white soft sand beach that I actually wanted to spend time out of the water. Grand Turk is a diving/snorkeling meca!

We were able to see fish at both places but we saw more variety at Grand Turk. Half Moon Cay's beach doesn't have many coral formation close to shore, so it was only some curious fish. It is the best beach however!

Grand Turk had lot's of Coral formation if you go away from the cruise dock. Most the coral next to dock was covered with mud...the fish were trying to feed on it but didn't look that healthy. (I saw a bunch of parrot fish with brown spots on them) Towards Governor's Beach, it was better (Barracuda, a baby Sting Ray, bands of fish). I heard there's a place to snorkel at Governor's beach but couldn't find it. We saw lot's of fish anyways by going in the water close to the beach.

Hope this helps.

Pierre

on 1/2 moon you're limited to one area, but on Grand Turk there's numerous spots all over the island. Also, the island is dotted with dive shops who will rent you equipment for both snorkling and scuba, and can arrange for tour boats out onto the reefs. BTW the snorkeling neear the cruise dock in Grand Turk is not ready that good at all, so you'll need to take a cab out to the better beaches.

We have been to both twice and they are very different. HMC is mostly sandy beach very little current or rock. If you do not mind a walk follow the beach to the bend of the island and there is a ship wreck in about 10/15' of water tons of fish and nobody else around yourself. Back at the main beach there are a few fish and a sandy bottom. We brought empty water full bottles of dried cat food and were swarmed by fish at the public beach. We loved HMC and are going back.

GT you can snorkel by the pier and there is a hard bottom with a few fish. There was guided tour in a boat on a reef 100 yards off the beach. The current was swift when we were there. Governor`s beach was better with more fish and less current.

If you do not mind a walk follow the beach to the bend of the island and there is a ship wreck in about 10/15' of water tons of fish and nobody else around yourself. Back at the main beach there are a few fish and a sandy bottom. We brought empty water full bottles of dried cat food and were swarmed by fish at the public beach.

G. C,

Where is the ship wreck? when you walk left off the pier all the way to the end?

Anyway to know where it is exactly or you just discovered it?

Thanks for the info.

Archived