Will RCI take notice and make some changes?

Norwegian Cruise Line announced their upgrade today to Freestyle 2.0. I really like some of the upgrades. I wonder if RCI will make any changes? Some of these have nothing to do with the Freestyle concept itself but more of an upgrade to the on-board service. I cruised on NCL back in the summer and liked what I experienced. It will be interesting to read the reviews once this starts rolling out.

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20071219006036&newsLang=en

Norwegian Cruise Line announced their upgrade today to Freestyle 2.0. I really like some of the upgrades. I wonder if RCI will make any changes. Some of these have nothing to do with the Freestyle concept itself but more of an upgrade to the on-board service. I cruised on NCL back in the summer and liked what I experienced. It will be interesting to read the reviews once this starts rolling out.

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20071219006036&newsLang=en

That's a very impressive list of on board enhancements.

Maybe an answer to RCI, HAL, and others doing anytime dining.

From what we witnessed this past weekend it's just a matter of time before Royal starts adding the tips to the on board accounts, similar to NCL's policy. We saw a lot of unhappy servers on the last nights of our recent cruises due to the fact that so many passengers disappear from the dining room when it's time to tip the servers. Even two of our table mates did this. We spotted them in the windjammer the last night after they had dined in the main dining room every night previous.

This is what happens when a PE firm puts a billion dollars into a company. Whats the point if they do not make changes or spend it!

I guess the bottom line is that if they can increase occupancy and rate over time, then such additional expenditures will be viewed as paying off.

I would be shocked if RCCL or other "non-premium" lines try to match the spending in this environment.

Geeezzzuuuss! I have never sailed NCL so I don't know where they are positioned in mass market cruising. If their current competive point is at, or near, RCI or Princess or whoever, this becomes a powerful statement, especially if they follow through on it. It would have to make the others stand up and take notice....:)

Wow, the enhancements sound terrific. I will be interested to see if the reality compares.

(OT to BobBeaSea, we are recently back from THE best AI ever in Cancun (I know you like them) and are headed back in April. We were blown away.)

I just read a statement from someone on board the Gem as she just recently arrived in the US. He states that the ship is very nice and the food overall good.

Geeezzzuuuss! I have never sailed NCL so I don't know where they are positioned in mass market cruising. If their current competive point is at, or near, RCI or Princess or whoever, this becomes a powerful statement, especially if they follow through on it. It would have to make the others stand up and take notice....:)

As stated above, I sailed NCL for the first time in 13 years over the summer and was surprised that I liked the overall concept. I know that Freestyle is not for everyone but I had no complaints. Never waited one time for a table and this was at peak times at around 7:00 or a little later. No problem with making it to the shows on time. Crew very friendly and the ship was clean and very well maintained. My bet is that RCI will watch to see how this pans out. Their suite amenities are much nicer than RCI.

Norwegian Cruise Line announced their upgrade today to Freestyle 2.0. I really like some of the upgrades. I wonder if RCI will make any changes? Some of these have nothing to do with the Freestyle concept itself but more of an upgrade to the on-board service.

Hi,

Very nice changes / upgrades.

I wonder if these changes / upgrades are dictated by the need to attract more 'guests'.

I doubt if any cruise line or a business makes changes only for the benefit of their clients / cruisers - they ( cruise lines ) are there only to make profit and satisfy the stock holders.

I believe a cruise line will make changes / upgrades only when they start loosing their market share.

I do not know about NCL, but RCCL has their ships filled with about 106 % or more capacity ....... so what would they gain by spending extra money on the changes / upgrades ?

If they start loosing market share - then they might - that just might opinion and nothing else.

Wes

Nice to see a cruise line adding service with all the recent talks of cuts. Makes me want to consider giving NCL a try. I also like that they have a bowling alley on one of their newer ships; that seems pretty cool. Plus I could always blame the waves if I throw a gutter ball.

Wow, the enhancements sound terrific. I will be interested to see if the reality compares.

(OT to BobBeaSea, we are recently back from THE best AI ever in Cancun (I know you like them) and are headed back in April. We were blown away.)

OT....do tell, one of the Secrets properties - perhaps the Secrets Riviera Maya...or maybe Capri. Or maybe farther down the coast....Hiding Away :) in Playacar? Or maybe I've gone nuts - again :D

OT....do tell, one of the Secrets properties - perhaps the Secrets Riviera Maya...or maybe Capri. Or maybe farther down the coast....Hiding Away :) in Playacar? Or maybe I've gone nuts - again :D

Le Blanc in Cancun. We were booked into El Dorado Royale in the Riviera Maya and left after one day. We walked in off the street to LB and never looked back. Superb in every way:).

Hi,

I wonder if these changes / upgrades are dictated by the need to attract more 'guests'.

I doubt if any cruise line or a business makes changes only for the benefit of their clients / cruisers - they ( cruise lines ) are there only to make profit and satisfy the stock holders.

I believe a cruise line will make changes / upgrades only when they start loosing their market share.

I do not know about NCL, but RCCL has their ships filled with about 106 % or more capacity ....... so what would they gain by spending extra money on the changes / upgrades ?

If they start loosing market share - then they might - that just might opinion and nothing else.

Wes

Sure they're trying to attract more customers. Which cruise line isn't? RCI has three ships entering service in the next three years that will hold over 16,000 passengers and they will not fill up by themselves. All the cruise lines are now trying one up the other. Time will tell if NCL is successful in this new upgrade. They too have two very large new ships coming out with the first F3 entering service in 09. They have to fill those ships. One way to do it is upgrade your product.

Norwegian Cruise Line announced their upgrade today to Freestyle 2.0. I really like some of the upgrades. I wonder if RCI will make any changes? Some of these have nothing to do with the Freestyle concept itself but more of an upgrade to the on-board service. I cruised on NCL back in the summer and liked what I experienced. It will be interesting to read the reviews once this starts rolling out.

I really like these features. I've never sailed on NCL but it looks like we may have to do some investigative vacationing.

I'm all about that 48 ounce Porterhouse in the Steakhouse.

Hi,

Wes

One example is that RCI recently upgraded their bedding to be competitive and the change was well received. Yes, cruise lines spend money when they need to keep their berths full and they prefer to do that without heavy discounts. The 106% occupancy you quote can also be attributed to last minute low fares, etc, and is not purely an indicator of customer satisfaction, though IMO they offer a great value for family cruising.

They have now announced an increase in the cost of the specialty restaurants and now these are more on par, price wise, to other lines. And new "enhanced" menus are due out very soon.

They make cuts where they are not felt as much by the average cruiser. Very limited lunches in the dining room, no more party bands.:( Seems like the average cruiser is fine with buffets, fast food and karaoke.

NCL was suffering in a few areas rating wise and generally shares the bottom of the pile with Costa. Their bedding is really awful IMO and their standard cabins almost spartan. Where they do a really great job is entertainment - IME and IMO - and in offering a definitively casual and unstructured cruising experience.

I may just try them again when they have an itinerary that appeals and if the price is right for one of the more interesting accomodations. I'll be reading the reviews.

From what we witnessed this past weekend it's just a matter of time before Royal starts adding the tips to the on board accounts, similar to NCL's policy. We saw a lot of unhappy servers on the last nights of our recent cruises due to the fact that so many passengers disappear from the dining room when it's time to tip the servers. Even two of our table mates did this. We spotted them in the windjammer the last night after they had dined in the main dining room every night previous.

NCL doesn't call them tips. They are fees.

Also, perhaps the passengers had pre-paid tips on their SeaPass cards but forgot to bring the vouchers. This happened to our table mates. We stood up to tip the waiters, and our tablemates kindly said to us that they had to run back to their cabin to get the vouchers. They were terribly embarrassed.

As stated above, I sailed NCL for the first time in 13 years over the summer and was surprised that I liked the overall concept. I know that Freestyle is not for everyone but I had no complaints. Never waited one time for a table and this was at peak times at around 7:00 or a little later. No problem with making it to the shows on time. Crew very friendly and the ship was clean and very well maintained. My bet is that RCI will watch to see how this pans out. Their suite amenities are much nicer than RCI.

Gordon, your viewpoints are among those I have confidence in. We would definitely like to try Freestyle, hell, we need to try another line! A billion bucks is nothing to sneeze at...I gotta think the other lines have to take notice.

OT, Caviargirl, I quickly checked it out, awesome looking property!! Never heard of this one before - I'm going to do some research however, if you two liked it, that pretty much tells me everything I need to know. :)

Archived