Need luggage storage in NYC--help!

SANDRAMARTINEZ

We are arriving at 6:00 a.m. on a redeye from California. We would like to go around NYC without having to carry around luggage. However, it would appear that we cannot board or place our luggage on the cruise ship until at least 12:00 p.m.

We thought about checking into a hotel, but at $200.00 or more a night, it seems foolish to pay this much for just 4 hours of hotel. We have also considered renting a limo for 4 hours to tour around, but this will also run at least $200.00.

Any suggestions?

If you don't have an obscene amount of luggage you can try going to a hotel and checking your bags with the bellman, "I'll be checking in later today, can you hold my bags for me".

Adding a decent tip (but not too much, you don't want him asking your last name so he can deliver the bags when your room is ready... and this task is more often tipped at pick-up rather than drop-off) may just get you what you want.

When you pick up the bags later in the day they won't know if you've checked your bags waiting for a room OR if you've checked out of the hotel and they were holding your bags until you were leaving the city. Chances are they won't ask anyway, but you can also state that you made a mistake and are staying at a different hotel (you can also use this 'mistake' if you get questioned when you drop off your bags above). Whether they ask or not, tip again, and then be on your way.

Archived