online check in

fabrizio40

If you have your SetSail Pass signed and with you at check in all you will need is it and your charge card, they will give you your SeaPass and you will be on the ship in no time!:D

Hi BJ,

good to see you, hope all is well with you. :)

While I´m typing this I´m looking at my Christmas tree with some nicely handcrafted wooden piece from Texas;)

Thanks for that, have thought of you a lot lately everytime I look at it.

Sorry to the OP for hijacking your thread, back to the regular programming now.

I agree, about doing the online check-in. If you don't, you will have to give all your information at the check-in counter at the pier, before you are allowed to board. The online check-in is easy to follow. Four steps, if I remember correctly and then you print your setsail pass. At the check-in counter at the pier, they will need your signed setsail pass, passport/drivers license (per person) and the credit card that you enter with online check-in.

It speeds things up at the pier.

You can do online check in any time after final payment has been made and posted to your reservation. Three days prior to sailing, the system is no longer available, so be sure you don't wait until time to leave to print out your set/sail pass.

As far as arriving at port: If you have used e-docs, you'll get baggage tags from porters and need to fill them out -- many people recommend preprinted address labels for this and have a sharpie handy too since it shows up better than a pen. If you have paper docs, you'll have colored luggage tags. They're not terribly strong, so I wouldn't put them on until you have collected luggage at airport if flying.

After dropping luggage, go get in line. All people on each reservation must be there in order to check in. Your carry-on will go through x-ray and you'll wait in line for the next available agent. Your documents will say arrive at 2 pm for a 5 pm sailing, but usually you can start getting on around 11 am. It will be 1 pm or so before you can get to your cabin and it may that evening before you receive all of your luggage so have in your carry-on for anything you need in case your luggage is late.

At check in they will check id's and swipe the credit card that you are using to pay for your onboard account. Let them know if you will need extra keys. I have gotten them before getting on the ship on 1 cruise and after boarding on another. At the service desk on board, you can get holes punched in your keys/ Sea Pass if you want to be able to put them on a lanyard.

If you are making reservations at Portofino or Chops, go ahead and do that soon after you board as those reservations fill up.

How soon do you do online check in? Its our first cruise:)

And does anyone know if there is a step by step of what is expected when arriving at the port?

You can do it as soon as you've put down a deposit for the cruise. You need to input your travel information though (flight numbers, etc), which usually slows me down because I don't buy flights until later.

It is very simple once you get to the port. You will hand any big luggage (things you would check at the airport) to the porters and they will take care of them. Make sure you don't hand over anything that has your travel documents or passports in it. ;) The porters expect a tip ... standard is a buck or two per bag. You then make your way into the terminal, though sometimes you need to show passports and your cruise tickets to prove that you are a passenger.

Once you get in the terminal, you will go through a security line with an x-ray and metal detector, just like the airport. After that, there will be a big room filled with a long desk ... this is where you check-in ... the lines are usually arranged by which deck you are on. During check-in, the agent needs to see your set sail passes (online check-in), passports, and credit card (if you are putting expenses on your card). The agent may ask some questions about your health (trying to guard against noro), will give you your Sea Pass cards, and send you on your way. If the ship is already boarding, you will get in line, have photographers try to take your picture in front of a backdrop, and eventually reach another security station where they will take a picture from a kiosk and assign it to your card. After that ... you are on the ship. :)

How soon do you do online check in? Its our first cruise:)

And does anyone know if there is a step by step of what is expected when arriving at the port?

Actually you can do the online check-in as soon as you put down your deposit and got a confirmation number. However you won´t be able to print it out until after final payment. I usually do the online check-in right away after booking and then print it out after final payment.

As to arriving at the port. Every port is a bit different, but usually there are porters outside the terminal building to take your luggage. After hading over your checked luggage (make sure your luggage tags are attached at that time) you proceed inside the terminal building and there are RCCL people to guide you to the check-in area. Most ports you have to go through a security check-point before entering the check-in line, while other ports have the security screening right before boarding.

There´s different lines for check-in, According to your C&A status, cabin type you booked and sometimes with or without SetSailPass (online check-in). Check-in Procedure is painless, they will ask you for ID´s, Set Sail Pass and credit card. Then you´ll get your SeaPass card which serves as your boarding pass, onboard payment and key to your cabin.

Before boarding they will take your pic and link it to your SeaPass Card and every time you board or exit the ship you´ll have to run your SeaPass card through a machine and they will get your pic to see if it´s really you;)

Is it necessary to put luggage tags on the carry on luggage?...or does the luggage that gets handed to the porters upon arrival only need the tags?

Only things handed to the porters NEED tags. I usually put one on my backpack, as well, because otherwise I tend to forget my room number. :D

Archived