OMG! Sprained Ankle-cruise in 5 days

vspnj

You have my sympathies. I usually wait until the first or the second day of the cruise before I get hurt. At least, you have yet another excuse to lay in your lounge chair all day and have people wait on you.

I hate to say this but I sprained my ankle once and that was enough for me. That said, I wouldn't even think of going on a cruise....getting around the ship is one thing, what about excursions, and even taking a shower.

Hopefully, you will be better by then.

I sprained my ankle and have cruches and I'll be cruising the Mariner in 5 days. I'm so mad at myself for being so stupid!!!!!:confused:

Deep breaths! Don't be mad at yourself--at least nothing is broken. :o

Everyone here has great suggestions--you can still have a super vacation. I'd like to add that it may seem far-fetched if you have never tried it, but consider having some acupuncture done to help the healing and ease any pain. I find acupuncture to be quite amazing and helpful, in addition to conventional medicine. I first tried it on RCI, on the Explorer, and I am glad I have found this option!

Bon Voyage~~

Leslie

There's another gadget I've seen twice on cruises now and it takes up a lot less space than a Hover Round or a wheel chair. It is a wheeled device. You face forward as you stand and hold onto the handle. There is a small platform for you to place your injured leg on bent at the knee. You roll your self along using your good leg. I wish I had a picture of it, so you can see how it works.

The trouble with a Hover Round or similar device is that you can't fit it through your cabin door. I have seen them in the corridor just outside the room. Wheel chairs can be folded up, but be careful not to leave your wheel chair where some one else can get it. We have had posts here about passengers who had their wheel chairs misappropriated during their cruise.

I've cruised injured and know how tiring it can be especially on a big ship, but I'd rather cruise injured than not cruise at all. Also, please don't blame yourself and call yourself names for having an injury. It happens to anyone, even the most highly trained athletes. Injuries almost never befall us at convenient times.

if you are flying--call & order a wheelchair in the airport. Also, talk to guest relations about a wheelchair to get off of the ship. I had foot surgery and by the time I went was just down to the cane. I did not have any problem--used the elevator. Be careful with that sprained ankle. I used to "roll" my ankle all of the time & I rolled it so good last Feb that I ruptured the tendon. sprained ankle is not as nothing as I used to think--stay off of it as much as you can until the swelling is down--but you can still go on a cruise and REST.

good luck

There's another gadget I've seen twice on cruises now and it takes up a lot less space than a Hover Round or a wheel chair. It is a wheeled device. You face forward as you stand and hold onto the handle. There is a small platform for you to place your injured leg on bent at the knee. You roll your self along using your good leg. I wish I had a picture of it, so you can see how it works.

that's actually a great idea. I used one of those after my reconstruction surgery. mine was called a LEG UP SCOOTER. WONDERFUL contraption. google it.

The trouble with a Hover Round or similar device is that you can't fit it through your cabin door. I have seen them in the corridor just outside the room. Wheel chairs can be folded up, but be careful not to leave your wheel chair where some one else can get it. We have had posts here about passengers who had their wheel chairs misappropriated during their cruise.

I've cruised injured and know how tiring it can be especially on a big ship, but I'd rather cruise injured than not cruise at all. Also, please don't blame yourself and call yourself names for having an injury. It happens to anyone, even the most highly trained athletes. Injuries almost never befall us at convenient times.

Those are a type of walker, they are exhausting though on the good leg and unless you are in pretty good shape not practical for this situation. I still think a combo of crutches and wheelchair would be the best. This is what Heavysurf is suggesting, which could work if you are willing to try it.

http://www.everydaymedical.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=96

Actually, I have the exact picture of what I am suggesting. The one above is for someone with both legs in condition to walk assisted by a Rollator.

This is a link to the one -legged "Knee Walker."

http://www.phc-online.com/Knee_Walker_p/invacare-65950.htm

Here's another one:

http://www.phc-online.com/Leg_Caddy_p/nova-tlc-x.htm

I do see that these are very pricey. If you can't rent one, another solution might be better. Insurance might pay part or all of the cost, however. Time is of the essence. YOu may not ahve time to order one. If there is a medical supply business near your home, check them out and see waht they suggest.

Anyway, whatever you do decide, I hope you still have a fun cruise even with your sprained ankle.

I really think that you will be fine in 5 days as long as you stay off the ankle AMAP, ice regularly and take Advil for swelling. My future son-in-law sprained his ankle on Christmas Eve day, while playing golf. He tripped on a log in the woods. His ankle was so swollen, that he had to keep it in a small ice cooler- on and off- for two days straight (through Christmas). By the 27th, he was walking almost normally.

Be sure to also wear some sort of ankle support (brace) to keep from re-injuring your ankle and have a great cruise! ;)

Actually, I have the exact picture of what I am suggesting. The one above is for someone with both legs in condition to walk assisted by a Rollator.

This is a link to the one -legged "Knee Walker."

http://www.phc-online.com/Knee_Walker_p/invacare-65950.htm

I do see that it is very pricey. If you can't rent one, another solution might be better. Insurance might pay part or all of the cost, however. Anyway, whatever you do decide, I hope you still have a fun cruise even with your sprained ankle.

That's looks a lot better then what I was thinking. That would probably work great.

Archived