Curious What is french toast and biscuits

ozcaz

Hi everyone,

I am a first time cruiser and also an Australian who cant wait to go.

I have been on here for a while getting heaps of info.

I have read about the french toast and biscuits with gravy.

Could you please tell what they both are!!

Really curious. Especially, biscuits and gravy! Cant quite get my head around that one.

I shouldnt read the foodies thing at 5:30am in the morning.

Now I want eggs,bacon,muffins. Hungry!!!!!!

I am so looking forward to the choclate buffet. Hope they have it on the Truimph.

Thanks heaps

Caz

French toast is traditionally sliced bread that is dipped in eggs, fried in oil or butter, and served with butter and syrup (although I like mine with grape jelly)...

Biscuits and gravy are just that. Usually buttermilk biscuits topped with a white sauce (gravy) that has crumbled sausage and seasonings in it. Heavy, but delicious!

As for the chocolate buffet??? I haven't been on the Triumph in years, but they didn't have one when I did sail on that ship. There should be a *grand buffet* though, that will have quite a few different chocolate desserts. Some Royal Caribbean ships may still have a *chocolate buffet*, but I'm really not sure about that either, as it's been over a year for me.

Hi everyone,

I am a first time cruiser and also an Australian who cant wait to go.

I have been on here for a while getting heaps of info.

I have read about the french toast and biscuits with gravy.

Could you please tell what they both are!!

Really curious. Especially, biscuits and gravy! Cant quite get my head around that one.

I shouldnt read the foodies thing at 5:30am in the morning.

Now I want eggs,bacon,muffins. Hungry!!!!!!

I am so looking forward to the choclate buffet. Hope they have it on the Truimph.

Thanks heaps

Caz

We've had similar discussions with British friends.

The other posters have filled in well, but I'll try to add my

two cents (also American saying?)

Yep, French Toast is also called Pain Perdu (lost bread). Useful

for getting rid of day-old bread. Actually, a restaurant dish

(breakfast only, really) throughout the US.

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/breakfast/pain-perdu.html

Biscuits and gravy are definitely a Southern US specialty. The biscuits

are not sweet (not cookies as noted) but savory, and the gravy is usually

enhanced with lots of pork sausage. In many parts of the US,

this dish is a breakfast (usually) meal by itself.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1626,154188-224206,00.html

(hope that the above link works, sometimes the search engines

provide temporary links).

You haven't asked about Boston Cream Pie yet.

http://www.yankeemagazine.com/recipes/search/onerecipe.php?number=620

Also canned beer in the US (rather than tinned in other places).

Of course, most US beer is not worth

discussing, I hope that they still make Coopers the old-fashioned

way. Not available where we live, I dearly miss those great

brews.

I got the above links by using trusty old Google.

Hope this helps.

Bob Swanson

102267564epDqoD_ph.jpg

French Toast - YUM!

87815432lBfGJP_ph.jpg

Biscuits with sausage gravy

But PLEASE do not base your decision on this Southern speciality on what you will be eating on a ship! It's not even close!! It is never spicy enough, the gravy is too bland, and sometimes the biscuits actually ARE a little sweet (even though they should NOT be). Come to my house, my husband will make them for you!! :)

TinaLee

Well being a southerner I can tell you that biscuits and gravy is the absolute best thing to eat for breakfast. We love to take warm buttermilk biscuits (NOT COOKIES) and smother them with a white country gravy, or white pepper gravy (same thing) with bits of broken up sausage in them. Yummmeeee ;) ! I would try it at least once.

Well being a southerner I can tell you that biscuits and gravy is the absolute best thing to eat for breakfast. We love to take warm buttermilk biscuits (NOT COOKIES) and smother them with a white country gravy, or white pepper gravy (same thing) with bits of broken up sausage in them. Yummmeeee ;) ! I would try it at least once.
Being a native (or "naive") Texan, hell, I thought everyone ate this stuff!

TinaLee, Yum Yum! When shall I come for breakfast? :D

this has been very entertaining reading. letting some poor soul in on our heart-stoppin' breakfast of biscuits and gravy!

don't forget the grits!

try everything! if you are less than enchanted with something ask for something else - you can always walk the deck to get your heart beating again.

We're not from Texas but my kids love Biscuits and Gravey. How they learned to eat this i am not sure of as it wasn't in my house. We are strictly Bacon and Eggs. 2 eggs looking straight up on you surrounded with nice crisp bacon, 2 slices of tosted white bread and a large glass of milk. Thats what momma served. Anyway, my kids and their spouses love Biscuits and Gravey. Try it, i did. Actually its quite good. As for French Toast, now this i grew up with. My grandma always made this. Take your white bread and dip it in freshly whipped eggs and fry them in a frypan with butter till golden in color. Serve hot with plenty of melted butter and syrup. Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. In fact, i like this for dinner with bacon. try it with cinnimon instead of syrup, or both. Some people like powdered sugar, some granulated sugar, others like jelly. Its quick and easy to make. enjoy your cruise

Grits (hominey) are more of a Mississippi thing. While you can get them in Texas, you are more than likely to get hash-brown potatos. Yum - Yum!

Of course with a large Hispanic influence here, breakfast burritos are favorites, as well. Any number of combinations: egg-sausage, steak-potatos etc.

Ok, here is my two cents. I live in southeast Georgia, have all my life and I have always had biscuits and gravy available to me. They are usually ate by themselves as a breakfast item. Now, I also eat grits with over-easy eggs and bacon, sometimes I also have sausage links. I like to take my grits and mix my egg into them and eat it that way. YUMMMY;) You will never know if you don't try it!

The only time I eat Gritts is on Cruise ships.. And I love them.. but I like a bowl of gritts with raisins and maple syrup on them.. that is so yummy to me.. Now I want to be on RCCL ship and have a bowl of gritts .....

And I love French toast.. We make our out of the long loafs for french bread. We cut it and dip in eggs and fry in frying pan.. I love powder sugar and maple syrup, and butter on mine..

Now I am starving for breakfast.. See ya all later..

I agree that bisquits and gravy can be a meal all by itself. But, we usually have eggs, bacon or sausage, hash-browns AND bisquits and gravy! If one is really hungry - a stack of pancakes with butter and syrup, too! Now, THAT's a Myocardial Infarction on a Plate!!!

Dang you guys! Now I'm craving biscuits and gravy. I agree with the folks who say biscuits and gravy at restaurants is usually nasty. I'm a purist though about the gravy, just make it with bacon grease, no sausage mixed in thank you. And I love my mamma's biscuits. When I found out they were always made from Bisquik I wasn't sure what to think, but that's what tastes best to me to this day.

Dang you guys! Now I'm craving biscuits and gravy. I agree with the folks who say biscuits and gravy at restaurants is usually nasty. I'm a purist though about the gravy, just make it with bacon grease, no sausage mixed in thank you. And I love my mamma's biscuits. When I found out they were always made from Bisquik I wasn't sure what to think, but that's what tastes best to me to this day.
I agree, leave the sausage out of the gravy. Just salt and black pepper to taste. Nothing wrong with Bisquik, either.

Bet the original poster doesn't know about S-O-S, either. "Something"- on- a- shingle! (creamed chipped beef on toast). Not a breakfast meal, but a great way to get rid of left-overs. LOL

I love them.. but I like a bowl of gritts with raisins and maple syrup on them.. that is so yummy to me....

Okay, I'm not sure, but I think you can be shot for eating grits this way in the South! :D :D

Just kidding, but I have to admit I'm pretty sure my mamma just rolled over in her grave! That's OATMEAL you eat with raisins and syrup... now grits is with SALT (especially on a ship), butter, and maybe a little crumbled up bacon!!

Man, I'm making myself hungry here! rascalious come on over!! LOL!

TinaLee

Ozcaz. The biscuits here are like British scones, but not sweetened and usually round about 2-3 inches thick. What Brits and maybe Australians call biscuits are called cookies in the USA. The food on most cruises will be much nicer than that.

Archived