Curious What is french toast and biscuits

ozcaz

Where I come from, S.O.S. or creamed chipped beef on toast is most definitely a breakfast choice. It is served at almost any restaurant around here either on toast or mostly over fried potatoes...Yum! I've never seen it as anything but a breakfast item.
We always had our chipped beef on toast at dinner when I was growing up. But only when my father was out of town, he couldn't even look at it after his years in the military! Armour has done something weird with their dried beef in a jar these days, last time I grabbed it off the shelf at the grocery I got something that wasn't the kind they've made forever and it was YUCK!

I have to make my own biscuits and gravy, since I am a vegetarian now and my DH does not eat pork. I could see my granny spinning in her grave now! I have to buy the country gravy mix (I forgot the brand) and canned biscuits (pilsburry Grands work the best). I know there are groans from all true Southern people right now, and that is why my mom never eats at my house. I'm sooo sorry. I I will never attempt to make biscuits again. One time my mom came over to my house and I had made biscuits and sugar cookies. She said they both look the same, and they did. Since then the canned ones are the only ones I make. Also I find that Challah bread makes the best French toast. I always used day old regular bread, but DH makes it with challah and it is so much better. HMMMM I am hungry now.

Hi everyone,

Thanks heaps for all this info.

Sounds like our taste buds are going to be getting a real work out!! LOL

Half this stuff I have never heard of.

Grits?? Are they those potato things they fry. I cant think of the name we call them. Chipped beef??

Last time we where in America we had enough trouble trying to get our eggs cooked how we wanted them. You guys have so many options. Here they just cook them and thats what you get.

The other funny thing was trying to get across cooked tomato. I have to have it with bacon and eggs. One of the lovely ladies on our cruise said you just have to explain it. We just call it cooked tomato. You thickly slice a tomato and put it in a frypan and turn it over. Yummmmm! The variations we got where really funny.

All this is half the fun of travelling.

Our travel agent is American and reckons Aussie kids have been brain washed into believing Vegemite is delicious. He says he would rather drag his tongue down a footpath then eat it!! I just love the old vegemite.

Anyway thanks, I know have even more to look out for and try.

Caz

Grits is a derivitive of hominy ...corn basicially is all it is... Have you ever tried frying green tomatoes--Now that is another taste sensation! Just slice Green Toamtoes and either flour them or 'flour' them with Corn Meal and fry...Oh Boy Yum....This is great 'Southern' food also (and I was born and raised in California!)

... Also I find that Challah bread makes the best French toast. I always used day old regular bread, but DH makes it with challah and it is so much better. HMMMM I am hungry now.

Should you get out to Hawaii for a visit, and are in

a condo (cooking equipment needed), try making

French Toast using the "Portugese Sweet Bread" sold

in all the stores out here. Yummy is not a strong

enough word for it.

Interestingly, I don't recall any restaurants here making it that way.

Should you get out to Hawaii for a visit, and are in

a condo (cooking equipment needed), try making

French Toast using the "Portugese Sweet Bread" sold

in all the stores out here. Yummy is not a strong

enough word for it.

Interestingly, I don't recall any restaurants here making it that way.

I have made it with King's Hawaiian bread once, is that about the same thing?

Jonmar, how dare you come on this board and say such a horrible thing about one part of the country. I happen to be from the south and do not think I am overly obese. Who made you the authority on what people should look like? I am sitting here in shock that another human being could say such things about other human beings. I would much rather live where I live than be anywhere near you!

Jonmar, how dare you come on this board and say such a horrible thing about one part of the country. I happen to be from the south and do not think I am overly obese. Who made you the authority on what people should look like? I am sitting here in shock that another human being could say such things about other human beings. I would much rather live where I live than be anywhere near you!

Oh Brother! I agree w/Babets---That comment was in pretty poor taste. The way I feel is some of the best cooks are in the South---Some people don't know how to enjoy...Sour Grapes!

Tina Lee has proven that what I said is correct. I was trying to be 'boorish or rude'. It's called honesty. Anyone with intellect will know the difference. I admit I am not the authority on how everyone should look. In fact, I feel people should have vast freedoms, including speech. The removal of my post speaks volumes about those who wanted it censored. The original post here was an inquiry, and I simply posted an insensitive, yet accurate response. I may be a ***** for what I wrote, but censors need to remember which flag they claim to salute.

Tina Lee has proven that what I said is correct. I was trying to be 'boorish or rude'. It's called honesty. Anyone with intellect will know the difference. I admit I am not the authority on how everyone should look. In fact, I feel people should have vast freedoms, including speech. The removal of my post speaks volumes about those who wanted it censored. The original post here was an inquiry, and I simply posted an insensitive, yet accurate response. I may be a ***** for what I wrote, but censors need to remember which flag they claim to salute.
The flag you salute means you have the right to pay for your own forum on the internet to discuss the obesity of people from the south. It also means the owners of this forum have the right to delete any thread they deem offensive or off topic. Funny how folks who get deleted on privately owned sites for being offensive always bring up "freedom of speech".

What area of the country do you live in? I also love corn meal mush. As I live here in the middle of Amish country they have it at market all the time. Also when we have creamed chipped beef it is made with dried beef (very expensive per pound) not something that comes out of a can. Guess maybe that's a Lancaster county thing. It is one of the first things my dad buys when he comes to visit from Florida...

I make cornmeal mush the average of 5 times a year - and yes, it is totally terrific! It is also known as fried polenta. This is another one of those recepies that you should not use margarine---good old butter is the order of the day. Think I'll make up a batch tonite, for breakfast tomorrow morning w/ eggs---yum!!!

I have grown up on Biscuits and Gravy and love it. When I moved to Minnesota I had the pleasure of introducing it to a whole group of people and now they all love it.

What we like to do sometimes is make sausage gravy and then add onions, peppers and garlic and serve it over fried potatoes. Now it is a meal not just breakfast.

Of course I am spoiled and have to import my sausage from Ohio - the best is Bob Evans sausage....

Fried Mush.... mmmmmmm my mom used to make that. I have not been able to convince my wife into trying it yet - but someday I will.

Can not say I have ever had it made with bacon grease but will have to try it. Bacon ... the perfect food...

Hi all,

This is turning into a real lesson for me. All this food I have never heard of. Was it called corn mush sorry if thats not right. Sound like a type of porridge we have here. What is Lox??? Is it like a cream cheese? Read in a travel book you have to try dirty water hot dogs in New York. :rolleyes:

I am really disappointed we are not going to New Orleans. Would have loved to try some of the food. Is that called Creole. Please excuse my ignorance.

I have been reading about lobster tails. Know I dont eat lobster but the idea of eating that crunchy bit at the end???????? I will have to give it a try on the ship. I have heard they have pumpkin soup on the ship. Know that I am looking forward to. Yummmy!

Caz

Lox is a smoked salmon, sliced usually from the belly of the salmon. It is really good and goes together with a bagel (type of roll with a hole in the middle) and cream cheese, also red onion and some like capers on it also. Try it. Most people that do really like it. I like to smear it on the cream cheese and bagel. My hubby likes several slices on his cream cheese and bagel. Funny, my hubby does not like cream chees but will eat it this way. As for lobster, i am not crazy about any shell fish. enjoy

ozcaz.......Creole and Cajun are types of cooking from the New Orleans area. I'm not an expert on them, but I believe Creole may have a French West Indian heritage. As for lobster tail, you don't eat the crunchy shell...you eat the meat inside of the tail (though the rest of the lobster has good meat as well.) The lobster tail meat has a somewhat sweet flavor to it, and is generally dipped in melted butter with garlic. Most of the time, lobster is served partially in the shell, and most people generally eat two to four tails, washed down with two to three orders of escargot and a lot of dinner rolls to sop up the butter and garlic (or maybe it's just me that orders that much lobster and escargot.) Ozcaz...if you need a description of escargot, please let any of us know...we'd be more than happy to explain (if you really want to know--that is.)

Lox is a smoked salmon, sliced usually from the belly of the salmon. It is really good and goes together with a bagel (type of roll with a hole in the middle) and cream cheese, also red onion and some like capers on it also. Try it. Most people that do really like it. I like to smear it on the cream cheese and bagel. My hubby likes several slices on his cream cheese and bagel. Funny, my hubby does not like cream chees but will eat it this way. As for lobster, i am not crazy about any shell fish. enjoy

DH says it must be an everything bagel with vegtable cream cheese for lox. I use a slice of tomato instead of lox and it is soooo delish. I'm sure everyone can tell now that DH is a Jewish man from NY and I am a good ol' Southern girl from central FL.

I LOVE biscuits and gravy, but cant get any good stuff around here. As for french toast, when I was at the Grand Canyon we ate at the Bright Angel Cafe. They served banana bread french toast. OH... MY.... GOD!! It was very heavy, but it fueled the hiking trip down and up the canyon...

Archived