Pricing Question -- New to Celebrity

tcdtcd

Thanks "I Fly".. you are "hearing me"... we go back as far as South Florida Cruises at least 22 years ago and trusted our agent there..Dealt with a very large travel/cruise agent using the same agent for over TEN years and twice when there was a problem told me "you'll have to deal with it"..(the ship was involved in an accident and TWO days before our cruise it was cancelled despite the reassurances of the cruise line.. We dealt with it.. and they worked with us (the cruise line at the upper echelon)..Yes, I only want CC class give or take.. usually now CC or with a balcony.. Just cancelled our cruise that I booked in Sept. and the cruise company could only give me a forward cabin..One of the reasons I want to do face to face is tht they can do the work in front of me by showing me location of the cabin.. Last T/A dealt with another large cruise company in CA..and I do not expect "deals" for Celebrity.. I am hoping for a decent cabin, i.e location..NOW Will you tell me why people must list the cruises they have been on or are going on!!!

do you have the ships deck plans? they are on-line and also in the brochure. You can see where the cabins are located.

As far as a list of cruises people have been on or are going on.

#1. It helps people to know if you actually have any knowledge of a specific ship, cruise line, or time of year the cruise was. If I see that a poster has been on a ship that I am curious about, I can ask them a question. Also some people's signatures show they have alot of experience with a particular cruise line.

#2. Showing a future cruise helps when people who are looking for connection party, or have a common question. If I see someone will be on a ship a few weeks before me, I may ask them a question that they can answer when they return.

Ok, I understand what you expect out of Celebrity now..

Quote: Parrot Mom

December 27th, 2007, 07:46 AM

Parrot Mom

Cool Cruiser Join Date: Jun 2000

Globe Travel Show

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Boston Globe Travel show is February 22, 23 and 24th in the Seaport area. Although I had booked my T/A before the last show I found the prices for our cruise had gone up.. There is alot of wheeling and dealing going on. when we booked our first T/A with Celebrity I had come with prices and info on several cruises and Celebrity kept bettering the price and tossing in upgrades, bags, towels, etc.

Thanks "I Fly".. you are "hearing me"... we go back as far as South Florida Cruises at least 22 years ago and trusted our agent there..Dealt with a very large travel/cruise agent using the same agent for over TEN years and twice when there was a problem told me "you'll have to deal with it"..(the ship was involved in an accident and TWO days before our cruise it was cancelled despite the reassurances of the cruise line.. We dealt with it.. and they worked with us (the cruise line at the upper echelon)..Yes, I only want CC class give or take.. usually now CC or with a balcony.. Just cancelled our cruise that I booked in Sept. and the cruise company could only give me a forward cabin..One of the reasons I want to do face to face is tht they can do the work in front of me by showing me location of the cabin.. Last T/A dealt with another large cruise company in CA..and I do not expect "deals" for Celebrity.. I am hoping for a decent cabin, i.e location..NOW Will you tell me why people must list the cruises they have been on or are going on!!!

Can't you look at the Deck plans? Isn't that what they would show you at a "show". Some of these Sales people at the cruise lines have never been on a cruise.

The Boston Globe Travel show is February 22, 23 and 24th in the Seaport area. Although I had booked my T/A before the last show I found the prices for our cruise had gone up.. There is alot of wheeling and dealing going on. when we booked our first T/A with Celebrity I had come with prices and info on several cruises and Celebrity kept bettering the price and tossing in upgrades, bags, towels, etc.

I thought you had to book through an outside TA in order to get pre-paid gratuites, wine, or OBC etc? I know someone who is looking at a cruise directly through Celebrity and was offered over $200.00 OBC direct. Is that possible as it does not show up on-line?

ParrotMom, are you booking a GTY and then insisting in knowing were you will be and have a say in which cabin you will get?

Have no idea what that mean, but I don't "buy" guaranteed cabins.. what I am looking for is a cabin fairly mid-ship.. and not far from an elevator because of my husbands severe problem walking. So, when I put a deposit down..I know EXACTLY where we will be.. what cabin #. Don't want a travel agent telling me that they only have a block aft or forward.. at this point Parrot Pop MAY be having surgery on his ankle before we go, but walking from one length of the ship to another is a very painful process for him. If I go face to face with the cruise line..which we will... Im not asking for OBC, but they can show me what is available and not play games as many agents do.

Have no idea what that mean, but I don't "buy" guaranteed cabins.. what I am looking for is a cabin fairly mid-ship.. and not far from an elevator because of my husbands severe problem walking. So, when I put a deposit down..I know EXACTLY where we will be.. what cabin #. Don't want a travel agent telling me that they only have a block aft or forward.. at this point Parrot Pop MAY be having surgery on his ankle before we go, but walking from one length of the ship to another is a very painful process for him. If I go face to face with the cruise line..which we will... Im not asking for OBC, but they can show me what is available and not play games as many agents do.

Wow..for someone that thinks she knows so much more than a TA, I'm not sure why you need a Celebrity supervisor to show you a cabin? If you are just as smart as a TA you would know that they have access to live availability. Can you explain why you think agencies only have a "block" available to book?

I agree that many people that cruise a specific cruiseline can book their own cruise, but from your posts, it doesn't sound as if you are the "expert" you think you are. Sorry...just my 2 cents.

Okay.. I do all the research about what area and what deck, which type of cabin.. and I've yet to find a t/a who can fulfill that need...they say.. Sadly, on our last t/a I knew before the t/a that a port was going to be cancelled before this cruise agent knew...yes, it's a big cruise company..Most cruise agents don't have I believe access to ALL cabins.. aren't they "on hold" for favorite agents?? Your all making a mountain out of a molehill..all I'm saying is that at a travel show on the 23rd of February..in Boston...I will talk to Celebrity directly..not by phone or not by agent..a sales supervisor. Two years ago i went to the travel show intending to book a cruise with another line.. I went to the desk (NCL to be exact) and the women could not get through to Florida for iformation, I swear...so..in my envelope was information on NCL AND Celebrity...my husband and I discussed exactly which itinerary we really wanted.. it came down to Celebrity..the Celebrity Sales Supervisor saw we were NOT shopping around the cruise lines and had paperwork in hand.. and found us a perfect cabin and convinced us to take the CC (it was going to be our 50th anniversary) and that was it.. I went back to a supervisor at NCL and told her that her people were unable to help us (showed her my paperwork on the itinerary) and she said if we ever have a problem to come directly to her..but it was too late.. In Sept. I booked a cruise with NCL for June..directly...no matter how badly I wanted to cruise this ship...the location was just not acceptable.. the woman said that was all she had available..way, way forward..that was the trip I cancelled.. There are two t/a cruises that I'm interested in..one is Celebrity and the other is Holland America. No, I'm not a big bargain hunter the way most of you brag..lol Just give me a great itinerary (found two I'm def. interested in) and treat me with courtesy and patience...Is that too much to ask?

"Most cruise agents don't have I believe access to ALL cabins.. aren't they "on hold" for favorite agents?? "

I have to mention again how you said you knew much more than TA's. The quote from you above shows completly the opposite. Your quote is completely incorrect.

Again I am not sure why you just don't look at available cabins and book one...by the time you go to the travel show, they may be sold out .in addition the price will most likely increase by then. Good Luck.

Parrot Mom,

Do you usually wait to book your cruises or do you book as soon as possible after the sailing opens? Perhaps, if you could plan to book as early as possible, you would have your exact choice of cabin reserved according to your expectations. That would be one less stressful situation for you.

Mary

"Most cruise agents don't have I believe access to ALL cabins.. aren't they "on hold" for favorite agents?? "

I have to mention again how you said you knew much more than TA's. The quote from you above shows completly the opposite. Your quote is completely incorrect.

Again I am not sure why you just don't look at available cabins and book one...by the time you go to the travel show, they may be sold out .in addition the price will most likely increase by then. Good Luck.

I don't know if it is true that the best cabins are on hold for the cruise line's favorite travel agents, but some travel agents claim to have that power.

Based on my experience, it is possible to get the best cabins directly from the cruise line if you book very early.

For everybody else, here are the FACTS that any travel agent knows:

1) Agents cannot and do not save blocks of specific cabins for their clients. They CANNOT not do any such thing. Agents can hold cabins with names and without deposit no longer than anyone else can. Depending on the cruise line, sail date, etc. that can range from a few hours to a week.

2) Group space, until deposited, is merely an allotment of cabins and NOT specific cabins. Specific cabins cannot be held unless with names and normal deposit requirements.

3) While it true that on the booking engines that travel agents have access to they cannot see all available cabins, the cruise reps. they deal with can, so if the agent says after talking to the cruise line that the cabin you want is not available, it is not available at that time. However, that can change at any minute as courtesy holds expire and people cancel cabins.

By the way if think you know as much as a travel agent but could not answer the question I asked in an earlier post and like Parrot Mom you don't understand what GTY means, ......

Archived