Gordan or Lawerence please advice

scottie86

Hi

I have got a quote for a private tour from gordan and from lawerence

their is only $5 pp in the price.

so which one is the better as they are both highly reccomended, however i have read a couple of bad post on each person.

so i not sure which one to confirm with,

any help, tips much appreciated.

scottie86:

DH/I and another couple had Gordon for a tour in December 2007. He was excellent. Gordon took us to a scenic area overlooking the town/ships, Devil's Bridge, Shirley Height's, Nelson's Dockyard, the oldest church on the island and Turner's Beach for a while. We had an excellent day and really enjoyed ourselves. Gordon arrived on time, his van was clean and had air conditioning. He bought us water, had cookies and provided fresh pineapple. He was a lot of fun, very friendly and provided us a lot of information during the tour. It was a great day.

Hope you find this useful and good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Sea ya!

We had tour with Lawrence last week.. also brought drinks (water, rum punch, punch), fresh pineapple stop, all the sights.. great insight into island.. we didn't want beach stop but that's optional .. for $35 one of the best island tours I've had in a long time.. (not big on island tours but this was a new port)... all 9 of us thoroughly enjoyed our time with him!

• 3 weeks later...

We went in January with Gordon Tours. There were four of us. Gordon was fantastic. He was very punctual when he picked us up. He had an airconditioned van. Brought us drinks and snacks. He took us to all the good places. He was very informative and lots of fun with a great sense of humor. We also looked at Lawrence but recently read bad reports on him. We are glad we went with Gordon. Great guy!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi

so which one is the better as they are both highly reccomended, however i have read a couple of bad post on each person.

What do you mean by Private tour? Just you guys?

How many in your group?

We have been to Antigua twice--December, 2006 and December, 2007. Both times we toured with Carl & Gordon. They are absolutely the best--charming men, very knowledgeable, immaculate transportation, punctual, courteous. We had 4 people in our "group" both times, and I emailed ahead [way ahead!] and booked the tour we wanted. Last December our ship docked in a different place than we'd expected it to, but Carl realized it, sent Gordon to one pier while he waited at the other so that we wouldn't miss him! It's hard to miss them--they wear big straw hats and they're big men. To contact him, email

gordon@antiguapremiertours.com

They are cousins & work together. We recommend them without reservation; whether you end up with Carl or Gordon, you are sure to be delighted.:)

GG

I am just now doing research for this stop, and would like to know how to reach Gordon and Lawrence to get a quote. Can someone help me?

Thanks!!

They charge $35 on up per person.

There is no need to reserve with anyone.There are hundreds of guides at the port just waiting to take you on a tour and they charge only $20.There is not really anything here to see or do except the beach. All the guides go to the same places and they are few in number.

Same the extra money and grab a tour when you dock.Tell them to follow Gordon if you want to but you are going to the same place's anyway.

This is a good tip to know. I am having trouble contacting one tour guide and others I am hearing mixed reviews. Im sure they all want to make money and thus take everyone to the same tourist places to try to be "the best" tour guides. As long as I get a tour of the area and a nice stop at Turners and Darkwood I will be happy. $20 sounds like a deal to me if I can get it for that price when I arrive at port.

Is there a mass of guides swarming you as you enter trying to convince you that they offer the best tours?

I have read several posts about some of the more known tour guides giving crappy service while tourists shell out good money. Sometimes it may be better to go with an unknown. Since there will be many of them trying to get business, they will take lower prices. I do not pay til the end, so if they do not take me where I would like to go or give me a tour that is not acceptable, I will not pay. Unlike many of the tourist who show up to the port and do not frequent CC, they can be taken for a ride (bad one) I know the destinations I want to go so I would expect to at least be taken to where I request.

Last week we had the pleasure of touring Antigua with Gordon for the day. He was right on time to meet us and we toured the entire island seeing everything the island had to offer - Turner Beach, Nelson Dockyard, fig tree road, many stops for pictures, etc. The all day tour was $40 plus $5 for the National Park. Gordon was very informative about the history of his island, He also supplied us with beverages and a wonderful bowl of fresh fruit. We told him what time we wanted to be back in port and he delivered us on time.

Yes, there are many taxi drivers and tour operators waiting for you as you get off the ship and I'm sure many would give you a fine tour for less, but I prefer to book ahead of time and know exactly what I am getting for the day.

We got exactly what we asked for with Gordon and I would not hesitate to recommend his services.

Debr

Is there a mass of guides swarming you as you enter trying to convince you that they offer the best tours?

Yes there is a mass and if you wait until the croud gets off the ship the remaining guides will be glad to deal even more. Write down the places listed on this BB and ask a guide to take you to those places, or have them follow Gordon.

Yes $20 is all you need to pay.(+ $5 for park fee,which everyone charges on top)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

I've done Lawrence three time and never had a bad time with him. He will adjust his tour if there is something you want to see. He has some really nice buses to ride in too. Enjoy your trip.:)

I just booked with Lawrence of Antigua a few days ago, http://lawrenceofantigua.com/, there is another Lawrence, however Lawrence of Antigua was highly recommended in comparison to just "Lawrence." Which one have you contacted??

The one in your link is the one who has had many problems.Just go back over the threads and you will see he has overloaded a large group,not taken people where they wanted, not showed up at,along with other issues.

Plus he charges double for the same tour as everyone else.There are also many positive posts as well.

We've booked twice with Gordon and do not hesitate to recommend him to you. He's charming, knowledgeable, courteous, and happy to take you wherever you want to go. Antigua is one of our favorite islands--you just can't go wrong wherever you decide to go--and Gordon's your man! When our ship docked last December in a different place than usual, he sent someone to watch for us there while he went to the pre-arranged spot so that there was no way we'd have to walk around looking for him. He wears a big straw hat & he's a big guy, hard to miss! We were there on Christmas Day, which I thought was a shame as it forced people to work on what would otherwise be a holiday with their families. It never seemed to bother Gordon, but he did make a couple of telephone calls to make sure that we would have reservations for a place to eat lunch. I emailed him ahead of time to determine whether Nelson's Dockyard museum would be open, and he found out and emailed me back. I wished to buy some of their beautiful prints. His van is immaculate & roomy. There were four of us traveling together; he could not have been more delightful to spend the day with. Hope this helps! Have a great visit to a beautiful island! :)

GG

The one in your link is the one who has had many problems.Just go back over the threads and you will see he has overloaded a large group,not taken people where they wanted, not showed up at,along with other issues.

Plus he charges double for the same tour as everyone else.There are also many positive posts as well.

Oh no, I thought I had read the board thoroughly, so I would not get the less sought after Lawrence. This is too confusing, one of them needs to change their name. Lawrence of Antigua and I even exchanged email about the other Lawrence...of course....Well, I made the reservation, I won't go back on it, you pay at the end of the tour. If in the middle of the tour I don't think we are getting what was promised then I will pay him for what we were shown and take a taxi back to the boat. I will make that clear to him upfront, if he does not want to take us, then, hey, that is the way it goes sometimes....

Oh no, I thought I had read the board thoroughly, so I would not get the less sought after Lawrence. This is too confusing, one of them needs to change their name. Lawrence of Antigua and I even exchanged email about the other Lawrence...of course....Well, I made the reservation, I won't go back on it, you pay at the end of the tour. If in the middle of the tour I don't think we are getting what was promised then I will pay him for what we were shown and take a taxi back to the boat. I will make that clear to him upfront, if he does not want to take us, then, hey, that is the way it goes sometimes....

Can you please post when you return about your experience?

Thanks.

We had a wonderful time with Lawrence of Antigua in January.. booked on recommendation from someone on the roll call who had gone with him previously. There were 11 of us.. we went to all the great sites, he was very knowledgeable etc.. Would not hesitate to book w/ him again if went back with people who had not been and wanted an "island tour"... be sure not to miss Shirley Heights, the interpretive center, Dockyard etc.. Views are breathtaking on a beautiful day..

Since you have seen the island, and its so small its hard not too, and I am sure you seen the follow the leader from all the other tour guides because there are not that many sites,why would you want to pay double what everyone else is charging?

Why reserve a tour in advance and risk him being a no show when there are dozens and dozens of tour guides at the pier?

Why risk being packed in like sardines because he has many bookings on that day when you can get a private personal tour from another?

We got a great tour and did not think 35pp was bad at all.. never thought it was a "risk" being a no show although that "can" happen anywhere I suppose. We werent packed like sardines in a big van?? dunno where you are getting your info:confused: :confused: To each his own.. we plan ahead if we want a tour.. on every cruise for .. hmm... 42 in 20 years... never had a no show and only a few have not been what they were supposed to be.. To each his own.. there are as many tour options as there are cruisers... :) You have to do what makes you comfortable..

Archived