Getting to the pier in NY

NJScrapper

We live in NW NJ (Morris County) and are trying to think of the best way to get to the pier for our Oct 3rd cruise. We don't really want to drive ourselves in. We called a place to see how much car service was and were quoted $158 ONE WAY! That's a little too pricey for my taste. I don't really want to burden anyone and ask them to drive us in and pick us up but if I *have* to I will. So what are my other options?

I'm wondering if this would work out ok.... if we took a bus (not NCL's - they don't have a bus anywhere near me) into Port Authority and then got a taxi from Port Authority to the pier. For those who are quite familiar with transit in NYC & NYC itself, would that work? How far is Port Authority from the pier?

NJScrapper -

I'm not sure how convenient this would be for you, but I have read where people have found their way to the Weehawkin ferry terminal, taken the ferry across the river, and walked up to the passenger ship terminal. I understand the walk is only a block or two.

NJScrapper -

I'm not sure how convenient this would be for you' date=' but I have read where people have found their way to the Weehawkin ferry terminal, taken the ferry across the river, and walked up to the passenger ship terminal. I understand the walk is only a block or two.[/quote']

There was a post about this some time ago - we are sailing out of NY in October on a cruise to nowhere and someone also suggested the ferry but a few people said that the walk is a good distance - just something to take into consideration if you have a lot of luggage! When we sailed out of NY last year - we took a limo bus and we were dropped across the street - just that walk was a real pain in the butt with luggage! And it was the kind with wheels too. Do you have a Dave's Limo service there? Good luck

I copied this from a previous thread about the Weehawken Ferry:

The ferry docks at W. 38th St. and 12th Ave. The NYC Passenger Ship Terminal is at W. 51st St. and 12th Ave. That's 13 blocks up a busy street that is not pedestrian friendly. To walk that with luggage would take at least 20 minutes of fairly sweaty effort. If you did take the ferry, using the buses or a cab to get you closer is a very good idea.

Overall, I don't think the Weehawken ferry is a practical way to get to the ship. Even with connecting buses there is a lot of walking. You will have to wrangle your luggage on and off the ferry and buses/cab.

After all that trouble, you will not save as much money as you should. The costs would be:

Weehawken parking $7/day X 7 days = $49

Ferry tickets $11 round trip X 2 persons = $22

Cab in Manhattan (optional) $10 x 2 trips = $20

That's $91 with a lot of lugging and walking anyway.

I live in Nassau County on Long Island. We thought about taking the train to Penn station and either walking west or grabing a taxi. A taxi for a family of four will cost about $90-$100 from our house to the peer. But as my husband reminded me it we take the train, we will have to lug the lluggage up to the train platform,:eek: roll it onto the train, get it through the aisles, off the train, up the escalators, to the taxi pickup area, and then we will also be charged extra the each bag we have. Or we can walk and hope none or the luggage wheels blowout. Think about it, $150 car service aint bad.

Think about it, $150 car service aint bad.

We were told $158 one way so it would be $320 round trip. For just me and my dh I think that's a lot. We're probably going to take the Lakeland Bus line in ($15 pp roundtrip) to Port Authority and then get a cab to the pier (unless a family member offers to take us).

We live in Essex County (at the border with Morris) and we are taking a limo to the pier. We are paying $130 round trip! How far are you in Morris County? That sounds like a lot! I would check a few limo services. But if you decide on public tranportation, remember the luggage! It might be worth the price to keep you from spending a wonderful week on a Cruise with a sore back from lifting and carrying luggage all that way!

We did the "parking at the pier" and the parking lot is just fine...it's getting to it that was a traffic nightmare with 4 ships in port on 2 of our cruises. :(

We decided to do the "ferry" this time. We are coming from South Jersey, dropping off our "lab pubs" in a country kennel along the way and booking a room at the Sheraton Hotel right there at the Weehawkin Ferry pier the night before ( that's not necessary...just something we want to do.) The parking at the pier is much cheaper than the port parking...like $7 a day I think. I know we will have to walk a ways to get to the ship....however, during debarkation on the Legend, we carted our own roller luggage from our aft cabin on the Legend through the ship, down the plank and out to the street with no problems at all. I can't see why walking several blocks would make that big of a difference. It will save time and money. I will never do that drive to the port again if I can help it.

We live in NW NJ (Morris County) and are trying to think of the best way to get to the pier for our Oct 3rd cruise. We don't really want to drive ourselves in. We called a place to see how much car service was and were quoted $158 ONE WAY! That's a little too pricey for my taste. I don't really want to burden anyone and ask them to drive us in and pick us up but if I *have* to I will. So what are my other options?
Out in Warren Co. we have gotten quotes for a car into the city in the $160 -$200 one way range so I feel your pain. :rolleyes: We kicked around various options and finally had it winnowed down to the train to Penn St., or the NCL bus out of Allentown PA. We opted for the bus but realize that isn't a option for you. I think you'll find it easier to grab a train into Penn and then a cab to the dock then any of the other options listed. I'd avoid Port Authority (nj transit bus) it's just not anywhere I'd want to be navigating through with luggage in tow. The ferry would still require you making arrangements for a ride there, and the crossing, and a taxi to the pier unless you pack exceedingly light and are in great shape to hoof it to the ship. Yes its doable.. but do you want to .. not me.;) Keep in mind that the trip into the city will probably be easier then when you debark as there will be many other passengers wanting the same cab as you when you leave. So be prepared to be patient.

We drove down from Connecticut on both our Dawn trips, and parked at the pier, absolutely no problems. We arrived around 11 AM, and had no traffic at all one time, only ship in port, and a very small backup entering the terminal the other time, a smaller NCL ship was leaving that day.

The key to traffic is what else is going on in NYC that day. The day there was a little traffic, there was a Gay Pride Parade and celebration going on. We also returned the day both the "Queens" were in town, this April, and obviously traffic was a mess.

In December we are leaving on a Thursday for a 10 day, and are seriously considering the NCL bus that passes through Connecticut ($50 rt p/p), mainly because of weather concerns. Our main reason for not doing that in the past was we wanted to get on board ASAP to get settled, and have a nice lunch in the Venetian,overlooking the beautiful Hudson and the NJ shore, prior to sail away. With the 10 day, we will have plenty of time for the restaurants, so may pass this time.

Tom,

My hubby and I took the ncl bus out of New Haven for our cruise a few weeks ago. The best part is: they take the luggage; at the port they just ask to make sure you can identify yours; then they take it to the ship. We didn't have to drag luggage around.The bus ride was $50 round trip pp. (paid in advance through travel agent to ncl). We left New Haven at 10 a.m. and arrived at the pier in time for lunch and checking out the ship before setting sail. We had the same quick service returning home (we had friends drop off/pick up at Union Station in New Haven). The link for bus info and pdf schedule is: http://www.ncl.com/more/bus.htm :)

Archived