Best Way From Southampton To Paris, Anyone?

msjsinlv

Our boat ends in Southampton, England. Since we have been to London twice before, we are thinking of going to Paris instead for a post-cruise 2 day stay. Would it be better to fly? Take the train, if so how long would that be? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

I don't think there are any ferries from Southamption to France but there are out of Portmouth which is not too far away. If you can get to the ferry port at Portsmouth you can take the ferry to Le Harve and from there you can get a train to Paris. Driving you could rent a car in Southampton, drive to Portsmouth, ake the car on the ferry to Le Harve and then drive to Paris. Should take 6-10 hours or so depending on the ferry schedule, time of day, etc.

I'm sure one of our Brit or French friends can tell you with more detail.

Since we have been to London twice before, we are thinking of going to Paris instead for a post-cruise 2 day stay. Would it be better to fly? Take the train, if so how long would that be?
In theory, flying is the fastest way. But current timetables aren't good for cruise ship passengers. The first three flights of the day are at 0635, 0700 and 0905; then there are no more flights until the last two at 1710 and 1800. So you're likely to waste most of a day waiting for the afternoon flights if you do this. The airlines that operate this route are Air France and flyBe.

So the fastest way to fly to Paris is probably to get the National Express coach to Heathrow and fly from there. The airlines that operate that route are Air France and British Airways. The likely total time from ship to hotel is something like: 30 minutes cab, 30 minutes wait, 2 hours coach, 1½ hours check-in, 2 hours flight + baggage collection, 30 minutes train/cab = 7 hours.

If you want to take the train all the way to Paris, it is now more difficult than before because Eurostar has moved from Waterloo to St Pancras. Your best bet would be to take the fast train from Southampton to Waterloo, and then a taxi to St Pancras to get the Eurostar. Likely total time from ship to city centre is something like: 30 minutes cab, 15 minutes wait, 1½ hours train, 30 minutes transfer, 1 hour check-in, 2½ hours train, 30 minutes cab = 6¾ hours.

I don't think there are any ferries from Southamption to France but there are out of Portmouth which is not too far away. If you can get to the ferry port at Portsmouth you can take the ferry to Le Harve and from there you can get a train to Paris. Driving you could rent a car in Southampton, drive to Portsmouth, ake the car on the ferry to Le Harve and then drive to Paris. Should take 6-10 hours or so depending on the ferry schedule, time of day, etc.

I'm sure one of our Brit or French friends can tell you with more detail.

I've been looking at the ferry option. You can't take a hire car from Southampton to Paris as we drive on the correct side of the road and everyone else in Europe (and the US!) drives on the wrong side! Due to timings, your only realistic option for a ferry, would be Brittany Ferries 1530 sailing Portsmouth - Caen, but this doesn't arrive until 2230. So you would have to stay there probably before continuing to Paris the next day. Of course, you could stop in that area, see the D Day beaches etc or just the countryside.

Using Globiliser's info, I suspect flying will be a pain and pretty expensive, so the best option may be the train, but it is going to take you the best part of the day to make the journey.

Simon

You can't take a hire car from Southampton to Paris as we drive on the correct side of the road and everyone else in Europe (and the US!) drives on the wrong side!

I suspect flying will be a pain and pretty expensive, so the best option may be the train, but it is going to take you the best part of the day to make the journey.

Is there likely to be a restriction on taking a UK rental car to France? I've never encountered a restriction in the other direction (renting in France, I've never been told that I could not take the car to the UK).

I suspect that the bigger problem is that if the OP wants to leave the UK car in Paris and fly back to the US from there, the one-way rental fee will be prohibitively expensive. But that could be solved if the OP wants to drive back to the UK and fly back to the US from there.

Flying from Heathrow to Paris should not be expensive if booked a reasonable amount of time in advance. At the moment, BA wants £51.10 including all taxes fees and charges to fly one-way from Heathrow to Paris. There are 11 flights a day. Picking a random Thursday in June, that fare is available on all 11 flights.

Is there likely to be a restriction on taking a UK rental car to France? I've never encountered a restriction in the other direction (renting in France, I've never been told that I could not take the car to the UK).

I suspect that the bigger problem is that if the OP wants to leave the UK car in Paris and fly back to the US from there, the one-way rental fee will be prohibitively expensive. But that could be solved if the OP wants to drive back to the UK and fly back to the US from there.

I was assuming they might be looking for a one way trip, in which case I don't think any hire company would let you do it. Agreed, if they were returning to UK it would probably be OK.

Simon

Thank you so much for all the suggestions. The last stop before our final destination (Southampton) is going to be La Hauvre. We were toying with the idea of getting off at that port so it would be easier to get to Paris. Based on some of your suggestions, it seems like a better idea rather than going all the way to Southampton. Isn't it?

Again, thanks so much for the ideas you gave us.

Check out www.flybe.com as they flight direct from Southampton to Paris Charles de Gaulle airport.
That's one of the two airlines that do the route; the other is Air France. But there are schedule difficulties with both airlines (see above).
The last stop before our final destination (Southampton) is going to be La Hauvre. We were toying with the idea of getting off at that port so it would be easier to get to Paris. Based on some of your suggestions, it seems like a better idea rather than going all the way to Southampton. Isn't it?
Yes, if the cruise line is happy for you to disembark at Le Havre instead of Southampton. It will need special arrangements, but as far as I can see there should be no immigration, customs or other issues - just the cruise line's willingness to make the special arrangements for you.

Of course, you'll miss the last night of the cruise, as well - which may be a good thing or bad thing, depending on how the cruise is going.

I've been looking at the ferry option. You can't take a hire car from Southampton to Paris as we drive on the correct side of the road and everyone else in Europe (and the US!) drives on the wrong side! Due to timings, your only realistic option for a ferry, would be Brittany Ferries 1530 sailing Portsmouth - Caen, but this doesn't arrive until 2230. So you would have to stay there probably before continuing to Paris the next day. Of course, you could stop in that area, see the D Day beaches etc or just the countryside.

Using Globiliser's info, I suspect flying will be a pain and pretty expensive, so the best option may be the train, but it is going to take you the best part of the day to make the journey.

Simon

Oops, right you are, I forgot about the "right side/wrong side" matter and one way rentals :-) I'd guess the ferry to train optiion is still viable, depending of course on the two schedules. I took from the OP that they wanted to avoid going to London at all if they could so I didn't consider anything that involved air, train, etc., from London. Besides, ships and trains are so much nicer than flying --- but then so is a root canal :-)

John

In theory, flying is the fastest way. But current timetables aren't good for cruise ship passengers. The first three flights of the day are at 0635, 0700 and 0905; then there are no more flights until the last two at 1710 and 1800. So you're likely to waste most of a day waiting for the afternoon flights if you do this. The airlines that operate this route are Air France and flyBe.

By the time you've taken a train or bus to heathrow/gatwick, you would have been better off having a relaxing day in/near Southampton (go see Stonehenge for example) and then take the 17;10 flight from SOU.

Archived