Sapphire Princess - Far east cruise

Lovetoboogie

So much to say, where do I start: Airline tickets - like so many fellow passengers, we booked our cruise months before airline schedules had even been published. However, we were all given indirect flights via Hong Kong or Dubai or wherever - no-one as far as we were aware flew BA(Does cheapest route come to mind?) Consequently, there were quite a few people arrived without luggage.

This opinion continues - Captains Champagne party; without appearance of Captain and without champagne - served Blanc de Blanc (costs about 2 euro a bottle).

Entertainment - production shows were great; however entertainers would have been boo'd off a pantomine. Everyone just walked out. We stopped going to them.

Coffee was served in Horizon restaurant from a tap - everyone agreed it was foul. However, no choice - no packet coffee was available. Had to buy coffee everyday from bar.

Formal dining room - it would appear that denim jeans, T-shirt complete with slogan and baseball cap was suitable attire to enter dining room! Maybe we are too fussy but that is not what we expect of fellow diners. Asked for Somelier on first night - didn't even know what I meant. Wine waiter? Didn't have one.

Shore excusions NEVER started on time but somehow always returned on time!

Ballroom dancing - D.J. had no idea whatsoever of music; it was pot luck. He put on a disc and let it run.

Although there weren't a lot of children on board, the older ones among them were running riot even at 2.00 - 4.00 a.m. along the corridors and their behaviour in the restaurant was just disgusting - no supervision at all.

We sailed with P&O in the Caribbean earlier this year and the comparisons were all too obvious - it's back to P&O for us.:(

This was our 18th cruise and cost over £3000 each - we have come to expect (and usually receive) excellent value for money on cruises. Yes, we did enjoy the cruise despite the niggly penny pinching which left a nasty taste in your mouth.

I believe in praising when praise is due - but also letting others aware when things are not as they would want.

Thank you for your review. We're on the Sapphire in April for 31 days and while I generally don't like the larger ships, my previous cruise on the Sapphire was an enjoyable one.

-- We're Elite but never go to the Captain's party and haven't for years. My sister and BIL go only when they're notified ahead of time that they'll get a "most traveled" recognition but that doesn't happen often. Too crowded and too many people looking for a free drink. We prefer to go to a lounge and enjoy the lack of crowd.

-- Entertainment: we go to a show or some sort of entertainment before dinner; I rarely go after dinner. It's not a biggie for me.

-- Coffee: The only time I've ever found the coffee on Princess not good was on the Golden Princess last February but that was just in the buffet. I can go without coffee and will do so if it's not good without paying for the specialty coffee.

-- Formal night: I agree with you there; some Americans seem to feel that they're entitled to be able to wear what they want, when they want and where they want.

-- Shore excursions: I don't know quite how to comment other than if you took a Princess excursion and it wasn't as advertised nor lived up to your expectations, you should report it to the Shore Desk along with the "whys."

-- Kids: I've had that happen on a few cruises, not very many. It's the parents who are at fault although the Pursar's Desk should have responded quickly when you called (which I assume you did rather than "suffer" in silence.)

As I said, I'm looking forward to being on the Sapphire in less than three months. Whoo hoo!

Sorry to hear your cruise did not go as well as you would of liked it. First post ???

We were on the Sapphire to Asia in October and did not have the same experience....just the opposite. :)

Other than the excursions (and the excurison desk personnel) :mad: , I agree with you. We went from Vancouver to Bangkok and loved it. The entertainers are ALWAYS a mixed bag for us...but we usually don't care that much for those types of things.

Haven't tried P&O yet...but am interested.

Maybe we were on a different cruise to you. Coffee is not a important part of a cruise to me. What is important to us was seeing Bangkok a wonderful city. The Dolphins playing in the bay at Brisbane. The sunset at Yorke's Knob. The stars late at night from your balcony. The best sea food restaurant Doyle's at Watson's Bay Sydney and a beautiful ship that rocks you to sleep every-night cruising just bliss-full. How many hotels can rock you to sleep and give you a different view each morning to me thats priceless.

Archived