What happens to cabin when canceled with insurance?

Out of curiosity I called the company and asked what happens to a booked, insured cabin if the company pays the purchaser for a canceled trip at almost the last minute.

I was told that the company absorbs the loss and the cabin goes back to the cruise line for resale, doesn't sound like good business practice to me, so I thought I would ask the board if this is correct.

I would think it would benefit the insurance company to try to sell the canceled trip somewhere instead of just giving the cabin back to the cruise line.

Anyone know what actually happens?

The fact that the insurance company reimburses you for cancelling the booking, does not give them any ownership rights vis a vis your stateroom. The room belongs to the cruiseline which will resell it to another guest, if possible. The insurance company makes its profits from the premium that you, and everyone else, pay and from whatever income it can gain by investing those monies. Believe me, the insurance companies are not hurting from this arrangement. :)

Last summer, we had 2 adjacent cabins for an Alaskan cruise. My parents were in the 2nd cabin, and had to cancel the cruise last minute...fortunately, they had insurance and were reimbursed. At that point, the cabin became available for the cruiseline to use/resell as they wished.

The first two days of our cruise, their cabin remained empty. According to our room steward, on the third day, a 'visiting officer' used the room for one night. For the remainder of the cruise a couple who had been on a waiting list for a balcony cabin got the room. I am quite sure they probably paid an upgrade fee, but I'm not sure how it worked exactly since they did not have the cabin for the entire cruise.

Last summer, we had 2 adjacent cabins for an Alaskan cruise. My parents were in the 2nd cabin, and had to cancel the cruise last minute...fortunately, they had insurance and were reimbursed. At that point, the cabin became available for the cruiseline to use/resell as they wished.

The first two days of our cruise, their cabin remained empty. According to our room steward, on the third day, a 'visiting officer' used the room for one night. For the remainder of the cruise a couple who had been on a waiting list for a balcony cabin got the room. I am quite sure they probably paid an upgrade fee, but I'm not sure how it worked exactly since they did not have the cabin for the entire cruise.

Was this a 7 day cruise? What a pain to move your stateroom, half way through the cruise. :rolleyes:

Archived