Don't Forget ___ and Don't Bother With ____

senrab

Ok everyone:

As a first time cruiser, I'm atempting to come up with a packing list, and was wondering what everyone's list of "I'll never leave that at home" items includes. Also, if anyone has a "Why did I bother bringing that" list, I'm similarly all ears.

I'm sailing to MoBay, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel on Voyager OTS in February.

Thanks!

Dont bother with: Over the door organizer (there was plenty of storage and this item never made it out of the suitcase)

:)

I disagree with this if you have more than two people in your cabin. I also won't leave home without a power strip, cameras, lots of memory, batteries and charger, and cell phone charger.

Let's see. Well, first, let me say that I had sailed 5 times and had booked my 6th cruise before I discovered these boards.

Don't get me wrong, I learned a LOT from reading here, especially about independent excursions.

Anyway, having read ALL the lists and made an extensive packing list for my Miracle cruise in December, I started going through the list and crossing off the items that I could probably do without.

After all, the idea was to start packing lighter, not add a bunch of things!

What I should've left at home: the stupid power strip! Bought one to take since everyone said it was IMPOSSIBLE to manage with just ONE outlet in the cabin. Never took it out of the bag. Unless you travel with a half dozen electronics (why bother to cruise if you're going to stay in your cabin on the laptop or playing games?), you won't need it. I plugged in my camera one night to recharge, and I plugged in my phone a different night. That was it!

There were things I packed but I didn't need, yet I will continue to pack them: after-sun aloe with lidocaine (just in case I'm lax on the sunscreen); packable rain ponchos; the waterproof camera bag purchased to use while snorkeling, which we didn't get to do.

What I didn't pack and needed: a tote bag to haul the beach towels and other goodies on excursions; body lotion (it was in our goodie basket on prior cruises so I didn't bring any and needed it).

What I learned about here and now will never sail without: GINGER! I've suffered from motion sickness all my life, and 3 of my 5 prior cruises had involved being seasick (but not to the extent I ever missed a meal ;) ). I started the ginger the morning prior to sailing (the day we flew to FLL), and took it every a.m. and p.m. I also started Bonine the morning of the cruise and felt so good I didn't even take it during the period of our 3 consecutive port days). We had choppy seas when we departed and had 9' swells on our final day at sea. I had absolutely NO problems.

Don't forget the ear plugs. We had one cruise where the most awesome band tried to deafen everyone. Then there are strange noises caused by plumbing, elevators, drunks and kids. Another thing that I won't leave home without is a small backpack.

Things that we need to leave is 75% of our clothes. We take stuff that never gets worn.

OK, I'm a first time cruiser and was just wondering what the over the door shoe holders are for other than the obvious shoes?

If you use it in the bathroom, it's great for toiletries (space is sparce) and sunscreen, etc. We use one in the bathroom and one in the cabin. The one in the cabin holds sunglasses, extra batteries, DS's little toy cars, etc. In other words, anything small. I always bring a small flashlight, and it goes in one of the pockets.

People use them for organizing toiletries, etc. in the bathroom.

My must have items (that aren't so usual):

Bug spray! Didn't have this on past cruise and regretted it.

Cheap rain ponchos (they are cheap and take up no room)

Highlighter (thanks CC for this tip!)

Long sleeve shirts (last time I was chilly a lot!)

Taking, but might say I can do without in future:

Insulated travel mugs

Gatorade individual packets (for potential noro and hangovers)

Water shoes

Workout wear :-)

Lanyard with zip pouch to cary money, id,key etc. in while exercising and for safety under clothes on excursions. Thank you Breast Cancer 3 Day walk for mine! :-)

Not taking, but might change my mind this week:

Waterproof disposable camera

Extra swimsuit

I try to pack reasonably light and usually don't regret taking anything other than a few extra outfits.

I have a question about the Bonine(?). I've heard that with a lot of the sea sickness medicine you are not supposed to drink alcohol. I am not a huge drinker, but I will be on vacation! Anyone know what I can take and be able to drink? Also, how do you take ginger,in what form?

I always use the power strip. As a woman, I don't use the hair dryer in the cabins as it would take me 2 hours to dry my hair, so I bring my own blowdryer. Can't have that running and then plug in the curling iron or hot rollers at the same time. I also use my iHome player for my iPod and that needs to be plugged in with the other stuff. Can't live without the power strip.

Re:sea sick pills for your dd who is 8. I really don't know. I would read the package or check w/ the pharmicist or her doctor. Good question though! I am thinking they are ok for children but since I am not 100% sure I would check w/ someone else. Sorry I can't help more!

Thanks for the quick reply. I forgot to ask what about my DD(8). What can I give her for sea sickness?

Ginger pills would be my first pick and you might check on a wrist band. Our friends used the bands with good luck.

Propel powder that you can mix with water in case of Noro.

I think any kind of Bonine, Drammamine, or dhiarrea medicine you can give to an 8 year old- just check. You also want Motrin and band aids.

Bring heavy duty hair conditioner. The sun and the salt air fries my hair and the hair dryers are weak- leading to major frizzies.

Bring clothes that fit, not clothes you can juuuust fit into. You will gain weight on the cruise- pounds and pounds. You might lose it when you get home but you don't want to be uncomfortable on the cruise.

If you use it in the bathroom, it's great for toiletries (space is sparce) and sunscreen, etc. We use one in the bathroom and one in the cabin. The one in the cabin holds sunglasses, extra batteries, DS's little toy cars, etc. In other words, anything small. I always bring a small flashlight, and it goes in one of the pockets.

Yes, but it swings uncontolably everytime you open or close the door.

Archived