Don't Forget ___ and Don't Bother With ____

senrab

Sunscreen (because the stuff on the ship is overpriced) Camera w/extra batteries, memory card, video camera, sunglasses (2 pairs, one El Cheapo's for using in the ocean or pool, and a nice pair for hanging out in) Disposable waterproof kodak camera, I pod, magazines, and books. :cool:

I rarely see this mentioned in packing threads: Don't forget to take something to read (or listen to, or otherwise occupy your mind) on the plane if you're flying. Of course you can buy a magazine at the airport, but wouldn't you rather spend that money on the ship instead?

Caro

I know this has been mentioned time and time again, and I am an offender myself. When you finish packing, before you zip your suitcase up, take about half of the clothes out and leave them at home. No matter how much you think you will need them........you won't. I am attempting a 7 day in two weeks with just a carry-on bag.:confused:

I know this has been mentioned time and time again, and I am an offender myself. When you finish packing, before you zip your suitcase up, take about half of the clothes out and leave them at home. No matter how much you think you will need them........you won't. I am attempting a 7 day in two weeks with just a carry-on bag.:confused:

I'm going on my first cruise this summer. How about a little sewing kit? You know, those tiny itty bitty ones some places give out with their logo on it. Mine is about a 4 inch square, but less than half an inch thick. Oh, and bandaids, in case you forget to break in those new sandals before the trip!

Hi,

The CC Boards "search" function is currently down, but if you do a search on "packing list" you will find a very comprehensive list by a woman named Nancy in Lakeland, Florida which has lots of relevant info. Also, there's a website you need to read...click on the Cruise 101 link on the left sidebar..both of the above have helped me (first time cruiser) immensely:

http://www.seauonboard.com/index.htm

Others:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=13510859

http://***************/pack1.htm

You and we will have a great time!

I'm going on my first cruise this summer. How about a little sewing kit? You know, those tiny itty bitty ones some places give out with their logo on it. Mine is about a 4 inch square, but less than half an inch thick. Oh, and bandaids, in case you forget to break in those new sandals before the trip!

The sewing kit is a really, really good idea. I'm going to pick one up today- I long ago used up the free ones from hotels, etc.

OK, all, this is my 2,000th post and I am signing off until I get back from my cruise- wish me well- we're expecting 6 inches of snow today and 6 more tomorrow- and we have to fly out of here!

Happy cruising-

large zip-lock baggies as well as trash bags are invaluable.

I use the zip-locks for all kinds of things. Keeping toiletries from spilling, taking food on and off the ship (even if it's a no-no). Organizing, etc.

I use the trash bags for our dirty clothes so when we pack them for the trip home, the dampness or smell or whatever doesn't get on clean clothes or anything else. Also makes for a great hamper when put on the floor of the closet in the cabin.

The beach towels are large and fluffy. It's true that if you don't bring it back you're supposed to be charged, but I've never heard of that happening :) . Usually there's a big bin just past the scanner (when you reboard) where you toss the towels.

That is true for Princess, or at least it was 9 years ago! Hubby and I noticed that people were just tossing theirs in a bin after reboarding the ship, so we weren't too worried about keeping close track of them from then on. Maybe things have changed though, I don't know.

Every time I have taken the wrinkle release stuff it has either: opened in the Ziploc on the plane or managed to drip out of the nozzle all over my hand and/or dress. It has never released one wrinkle!

Didn't even remove wrinkles in your hand? Ok, sorry. I couldn't resist that one! :p

When DH and I cruise we always take coffee mugs with us. We found some lightweight ones that hold about 12 oz. which we love.

We like to have room service breakfast, and the little cups that come with the coffee are just too little for a decent jolt of caffeine!:eek:

I had bookmarked this thread and had gone thru it pretty thoroughly, making lists as I go.....

I brought a insulated coffee mug, used it about half the time.

I'd bring it again. Dh did not bring his drink holder, so he had to buy one at the gift shop.

Did not bring a power strip .... the only thing we really missed.

When i had heard that there is one outlet in the room, i was assuming an outlet like at home... allowing 2 things to be plugged in.

big NOPE there, not even in the bathroom. [that outlet was for electric shavers only]

so only ONE plug. we had battery charger, phone charger, curling iron, and clock. When an extra plug was really needed, DH would unplug the TV and plug in his phone charger.

I also brought a night light ... only used that in hotels, since there is no plug in the bath. Luckily we had a balcony, so we did have some light coming in thru the windows.

Over the door shoe holder thingy .... It did come in very handy, but I really could not find a good place to hang it. the bathroom door had 2 large towel/bathrobe hooks ... so that was not possible.

the wardrobe doors were too narrow, and plus with the 'hooks', the door did not close all the way... so what i did was, there were 3 doors, i used the one closest to the room door and folded one 'column' under.

so instead of having 24 pockets [4x6] i had 18 [3x6]

that seemed to work the best. [i did take a photo of that set-up]

Others who have used that over the door shoe holder.... where did you hang it?? [i was on the Glory, maybe other ships baths are set up differently]

Brought clothes pins... never used them.

Never used Fabrize, and the Anti-wrinkle stuff from Downy - that didnt work for me, so i left it in the room.

I brought one of those lil "stick'em" round air fresheners ... that worked well, just stuck it under by the sink.

think that is about it. If i recall more, i'll post back.

tcs, it's good to hear from someone who has actually recently tried these tips! I though I read elsewhere that there were plenty of plugs--which ship were you on? I'm wondering if some are better than others.

I was on Carnival Glory.

and going into this, i couldnt believe only 1 plug... but only ONE literally, so much so, i took a pic of it.

bathroom only had 1 for a shaver... not even a curling iron... nothing.

1 plug.

so, DH said... next time, power strip.

Can someone help me?? I was reading about the outlets in the room and i am nervous.... my Boyfriend has a sleep machine that he needs to sleep with every night!!! Is the an out let near the bed???

It depends on the ship and the cabin to some extent, but I don't recall seeing an outlet near the bed on any ship. That's why you need a power strip, maybe one with a few feet of electrical cord like the one I'm looking at in my own house right now. It will take a little space in your luggage but be well worth it given your boyfriend's need for the sleep machine.

Thank-you.... the machine has a decent cord on it but i think i will bring a power strip as well.. We are going on the Miracle on July 12th. I was just thinking about this and i hope there is one close.. We have booked all ready. We have a balcony room..

If any one else has info on this Please let me know!!

Thank-you.... the machine has a decent cord on it but i think i will bring a power strip as well.. We are going on the Miracle on July 12th. I was just thinking about this and i hope there is one close.. We have booked all ready. We have a balcony room..

If any one else has info on this Please let me know!!

I'm "assuming" this is a CPAP? Generally, you'll need the power strip and an extension cord. Better safe than sorry :D !

we also had a balcony room.

outlet was at the "desk"

not sure the width of the room, my guess would be 9-10ft

and hopefully he'd sleep on the side of the bed away from the window ... that would be closest.

but, like stated above -- bring along the power strip and extension cord.

i'd still contact Carnival for details.

OK -- jsut thought of a few other items...

yes -- various sizes of Ziploc bags. I used many of the qt sized [you need those if you are traveling by air and want to carry on your small 3oz liquids]

gallon sized and 2.5gal sized.

they dont take up much room in your bag.

Suction cup things .... i had 2 sizes, but found they would only "stick" in the shower.

someone said, "magnetic hooks"

I did not bring any [as i dont have any] but i was looking around my room and could not find anywhere that they would have worked, with the exception of the door frame. something that I would not ever bring.

Post it notes and high lighter. Yes to both.

I've resized the 2 images i wanted to post. Here is the outlet.

the only one available to use

outlet_5142.jpg

and here is how I made the "over the door shoe holder" work

you can see how the one end is folded under, as it was too big for the door. and there are only 3 hooks used, not 4. [guess the one i purchased was just too big]

room_5141.jpg

I also added where the outlet was .... at the desk.

Hope this helps others.

tcs.

Archived