Don't Forget ___ and Don't Bother With ____

senrab

Learn the new rules for the airline(s) that you will be flying on and their new luggage pricing policies and pack accordingly. They seem to be changing daily.

Here is a link to the TSA's web site on what you can and cannot pack and/or bring aboard an aircraft.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

I bought chewable Ginger tablets, and they helped greatly. Never got seasick or anything. We did feel the rocking of the boat at times, but nothing prohibitive. For that matter, though, DH didn't take anything, and he was fine...go figure!

Well, I guess you did feel the rocking of the boat - the boat rocks - duh!

"DH didn't take anything, and he was fine...go figure!"

Maybe that was because the HUGE MAJORITY of HUMANS DO NOT GET MOTION SICKNESS!!!

Studies have shown that 'real' motion sickness (which includes sea sickness) is very rare unless you are in VERY rough seas! Most of you "talk" yourselves into it or take these "voodoo" cures and never needed them anyway! :confused:

I have lived and gone boating on the Chesapeake Bay all of my life. Many doctors that I have talked with have told me that if a person is going to get 'sea sick' they would get 'sea sick' on the Bay. This has to do with the width of the Bay compared to its depth and belive me if you are our in a small boat in a storm it can get REALLY rough. Growning up around here and spending my life around the water and the Bay in my 60 years I have NEVER met ONE person that gets sea sick until I started cruising. Why do you think that is?

Because as kids no one "told" us we were going to get sea sick, no one "told" us we could not swim and no kid wanted to be the one left on shore because they 'might' get sea sick. Sea sickness is 'trumped up' in most people. Quit talking yourself into stuff and go have fun. Don't worry about stuff that does not need to be worried about!

That's VERY helpful, tcs. Great pictures. The shoe holder looks like a great organizing idea. I might have to find one and pack it! Thanks!!!

Look in a Dollar type of store for one, then when you get to the end of the cruise just throw it away.

I don't believe sea sickness is always something you can talk yourself into or out of, studies or not. I have been on small boats on the ocean jumping waves and no problem. More the better. 25 years ago I got on a docked yacht in FL with family and my sister asked if I was ok and about 15 seconds later I started getting sick. She saw it in my face before I felt it. She didn't mention motion sickness and I never had it before so I never thought I would get it. Got off the yacht and was fine. Years later went on a cruise to nowhere and they went out 3 miles and anchored. Was fine, enjoying everything. They turned the ship in the other direction and it hit me. Was miserable the rest of the night.

Again on cruise to Mexico in 05 I was fine for the first 3 days with no problems. One night at dinner I started feeling it and had to go to the cabin. Next morning and the rest of the cruise, I was fine. Didn't talk myself into it, and definately tried to talk myself out of it but didn't work.

Everyone is different and they know what works for them. Downplaying it or saying people talk themselves into it doesn't do anything but irritate. Just my opinion.

Well, I guess you did feel the rocking of the boat - the boat rocks - duh!

"DH didn't take anything, and he was fine...go figure!"

Maybe that was because the HUGE MAJORITY of HUMANS DO NOT GET MOTION SICKNESS!!!

Studies have shown that 'real' motion sickness (which includes sea sickness) is very rare unless you are in VERY rough seas! Most of you "talk" yourselves into it or take these "voodoo" cures and never needed them anyway! :confused:

I have lived and gone boating on the Chesapeake Bay all of my life. Many doctors that I have talked with have told me that if a person is going to get 'sea sick' they would get 'sea sick' on the Bay. This has to do with the width of the Bay compared to its depth and belive me if you are our in a small boat in a storm it can get REALLY rough. Growning up around here and spending my life around the water and the Bay in my 60 years I have NEVER met ONE person that gets sea sick until I started cruising. Why do you think that is?

Because as kids no one "told" us we were going to get sea sick, no one "told" us we could not swim and no kid wanted to be the one left on shore because they 'might' get sea sick. Sea sickness is 'trumped up' in most people. Quit talking yourself into stuff and go have fun. Don't worry about stuff that does not need to be worried about!

Thank you for informing us Dr. Motion Sickness. The next time I see somebody throwing up I will tell them it is not really happening to them.

Thank you for informing us Dr. Motion Sickness. The next time I see somebody throwing up I will tell them it is not really happening to them.

LOL. .thank you. I just love it when people insist that something truly doesn't exist outside of their brain--

Unless you are living in that person's skin....you really just don't KNOW, do ya?

Me? I read in the car-for hours on end. However, sometimes, not even all the time, when I fly-sometimes i get positively GREEN.

Guess I am imagining that too??

LOLOL.

I've seen a few people mention post its and highlighter. Why? Thank you :)

It's a great idea! Every night, you get a newsletter with activities listed for the next day with the time and locations. You can highlight the ones you are most interested in doing and find them faster. I can't tell you how many times I read and re-read the newsletter trying to find that item I knew I had seen, but could no longer find. Now the post-its? I'm not sure, but I'm going to take them anyway. Once I'm there, I'm sure it will become apparent...

I have a question for those who list a power strip as a must take.

Would an extention cord (3 prong type) work just as good. I picked up one at Lowes that is a 3 prong 8 foot extension cord with 3 plugs on the other end. I just want to make sure because I have to be able to use my breathing machine.

Thanks!

I have a question for those who list a power strip as a must take.

Would an extention cord (3 prong type) work just as good. I picked up one at Lowes that is a 3 prong 8 foot extension cord with 3 plugs on the other end. I just want to make sure because I have to be able to use my breathing machine.

Thanks!

Extension cord works well too:D. However I take both then I won't be in the way with the hair dryer or laptop. The powerstrip also takes it off the counter and you can sit it in the floor.

I think it would work well with your breathing machine.

I carry an extension cord vs. a power strip. You can find them where you can plug up to 3 or 4 items into it. and it is a little bit lighter than the power strip.

On the post it notes - I have not used them before, but I saw one post who said it is good to leave on the TV with a note where you are on the ship. So I will try them this time with my kids so they can let me know where they are.

I've noticed people remarking about phone chargers... Do our cellphones work onboard??? :confused:

The ships now have satellite systems that allow most U.S. cell networks to connect -- BUT you need to call your phone company to activate international roaming.

And it's not cheap. From the ship it's usually $2.50 a minute ($5 on T-Mobile). This article has details with each carrier's prices, ships covered, and phone numbers to call to activate: cell phones on cruise ships.

FYI, if you use your phone as an alarm clock there's usually a setting to "auto update" -- turn that off if you want to manually set the clock to the ship's time, otherwise it'll switch to local time.

A couple of other must-haves:

- I strongly agree about a shawl/wrap -- it's really handy in the often-chilly dining room, and I'll use it as a scarf on the airplane.

- A large plastic bag for dirty laundry

- A non-perishable snack. When delayed embarkation on my last cruise left us sitting in the terminal for TWO hours past lunchtime, I started to get really cranky. One of my friends handed me a Snickers bar just in the knick of time.

Where did you get the ginger pills?:p

Thanks,

Just returned from our trip yesterday! Here are a couple of things that worked great for us:

*2 ginger pills daily in the a.m. and no seasickness for me!

*A travel alarm is a MUST--our cabin had NO clock at all! There was a wake-up call service that worked very well, but I like having a clock I can see.

*Ladies will probably want wraps for evenings, but I was glad to find that most of the public rooms were not overly ACed (there were some exceptions though). Also don't forget a daytime wrap--if you are sitting on deck and it is windy, it can get quite chilly!

*Our pop-up hamper worked great--packed flat and fit into our closet!

*Definitely bring a mini-wallet instead of your usual one (both DH and I did this).

*I second the eye drops recommendation, especially for contact lens wearers!

*Finally, don't forget to leave some extra room in your suitcases and/or pack an extra bag for taking home souveniers. ;)

the Small 3 Color Led Nite Lite For The Bathroom Is A Must Have. This Little $3 Light Provides Simply Enough Light To Avoid Turning On The Bright Lites In The Room To Utilize The Watercloset. I Purchase These @ Walmart.

the Other Item Is A Good Ball Point Ink Pen. I Present This To My Waiter As A Gift For The Exceptional Service That I Was Given.

the Next Is $2 Bills, New $5 Bills And $1 Dollar Coins.

these Are Not Very Common In The Caribbean And Present Great Tipping Materials.

always Best Regards, Brifro

For anyone who is prone to nausea another thing to consider is the Scopolomine patch. I tend to get nausea in the evenings and if I don't take care of it, then I end up vomiting.

The patches work for 3 days - you just put one behind your ear. I had no side effects with them also. You do need to have a Dr. prescribe them though. My Dr. advised me to put one on before getting on my cruise & keep using them until I get home. I do have a condition that causes me to get frequent nausea & vomiting though. I've never been on a ship before but I'm not taking any chances with getting sick!!! Our cruise is June 14 to Alaska!!

Just got back from my first cruise.

I wish I had taken......

Hair detangler! ("no more tangles", or whatever it is called these days!)

It was hot and very windy on our first sea day. My hair is not short, but not long enough to tie back, and it was too windy to wear a hat. I swear I lost half my hair when trying to brush it out at the end of the day :eek:

Short extension cord - not because I had a load of stuff to plug-in, but because the one and only outlet was upside down to the orientation of the night light that I had, and it was so close to the desk top that the night light wouldn't fit. Instead, we left on the bathroom light all night, with the door almost closed.

I took but didn't need....

Body lotion - used loads of sun block each morning. Showered at the end of the day before dressing for dinner, and lathered on the aloe gel. My skin has never felt so wonderful! Never used the body lotion.

Where did you get the ginger pills?:p

Thanks,

You can get ginger pills at any vitamin store. Our local mall has GNC and Vitamin World. You can also go online to GNC.com or Vitaminworld.com. The capsules are actually called ginger root. 100 capsules are around $5-$6. Organic grocery stores, like Whole Foods or Sprouts (if you have those) also carry them, but at twice the price. My doctor was adamant that they do not work, but I bought them anyway. They certainly can't hurt --unless you take too much in which case you may find that they have a laxative effect!

Also, for those that find the scopolamine patches too strong, as I do (there are quite a few posts floating around around about horrid side effects) my doc said perfectly fine to cut them in half, or even smaller. Just be sure they are not so small that you cannot still peel the backing off.

Thanks for the advice. I picked up some ginger candy, but I will go to GNC and get some ginger pills too.

You can get ginger pills at any vitamin store. Our local mall has GNC and Vitamin World. You can also go online to GNC.com or Vitaminworld.com. The capsules are actually called ginger root. 100 capsules are around $5-$6. Organic grocery stores, like Whole Foods or Sprouts (if you have those) also carry them, but at twice the price. My doctor was adamant that they do not work, but I bought them anyway. They certainly can't hurt --unless you take too much in which case you may find that they have a laxative effect!

Also, for those that find the scopolamine patches too strong, as I do (there are quite a few posts floating around around about horrid side effects) my doc said perfectly fine to cut them in half, or even smaller. Just be sure they are not so small that you cannot still peel the backing off.

• 2 weeks later...

I too can vouch for the ginger root pills! I can't read in a car without getting sick so I was worried when we took our first cruise in January. Plus, I knew dramamine had some yucky side effects and I generally find that when it comes to taking pills, I get EVERY SIDE EFFECT NOTED! :( A frequent cruising friend of mine was the one to initially suggest the ginger root pills and I can't thank her enough for that valuable advice!

I originally took the initial dose (2 pills) the morning before we boarded and continued for 3 days @ 2 pills in the a.m., by the 3rd and 4th day I was taking 1 a day, just to see if I could brave the risk and before I knew it I wasn't taking ANY the rest of the cruise. :D

I'll be doing the same ritual when we set sail in July thou, I don't want to risk getting ill!

Also, I'm new to the board and have been reading threads SOLID for the past 48 hours or so (minus breaks for eats, sleeps and kids)!

Thank you for all the valuable information everyone has posted and please keep more suggestions coming!

Cheers!

Wow, I'm glad I stopped in. Great info! I don't have a over the door shoe holder but I do have one to put in the shower so I hope that works. I'll use it in the shower to hold my soap, conditioner, comb. I won't be packing much at all, or at least I hope not (first time cruiser).

No idea why you need a bungee cord or shoe holders. Always found plenty of storage room. 12 cruises - and never saw the need. However, we do take some kind of clock where we can see the time in the dark and set our own alarm to make sure we make shore excursions (sleep beter not having to worry about being on time). No clocks in cabins - which I find weird. Also take plastic trashbags to pack wet items for trip home. Take disposable and/or underwater camera depending on our excursions. Don't over pack - you spend a lot of time in your bathing suit and can wear other clothes more than once! We take dramamine just in case we feel queasy - as well as other common medications as they are expensive onboard. We also take ear plugs just in case your cabin has noise issues (elevators, vibrations, loud neighbors). Take an onshore bag for port use - along w/trashbag for wet suits/towels. Extra $1 bills for room servce tips. We like to bring binoculars for veiwing off the balcony or top deck.

Archived