land diving in Pentacost

sassycatz

Hi everyone! I just posted this in another section but thought i better make a new thread so people will see it and maybe have some ideas.I am going on the Pacific Dawn on may 12th. It says in my book that we are stopping in Port Vila on on Sunday and i have read elsewhere on here that the shops would be closed on a Sunday also it says in my book we are going to Pentacost on MOnday and i noticed on this site here http://www.whatsonwhen.com/sisp/index.htm?fx=event&event_id=31726 , that they only do the dive on Saturday. Does anyone know more about the diving i would have liked to see it , i wonder if they would do the dive again for the boat when it comes in on the MOnday, cheers sassycatz

I stayed in Vila in Oct 06. We arrived on a Sunday and most of the shops were shut. The supermarket and some of the smaller shops do open though, but they won't sell you alcohol on a Sunday.

The following Sunday a ship was in port and EVERY shop was open - and they all sold booze :D ;)

Nothing closes in Vila when the ships are in :D

The Pacific Sun cruise leaving Brisbane on 21st April is at Pentecost on a Wedneday. The P & O cruise book says about Pentecost ".... and we time our cruises so that you can marvel at the amazing courage of this ancient spectacle". We are going on the April cruise on the Sun and we are hoping to see the land diving. I am pretty sure the locals would find it economically advantageous to schedule a ceremony to co-incide with the visit of a cruise ship.

Maybe some other CC members who have been there on a day other than a Saturday might let us know.:)

I stayed in Vila in Oct 06. We arrived on a Sunday and most of the shops were shut. The supermarket and some of the smaller shops do open though, but they won't sell you alcohol on a Sunday.

The following Sunday a ship was in port and EVERY shop was open - and they all sold booze :D ;)

Nothing closes in Vila when the ships are in :D

Those shops better be open on a Sunday Minxy ... that's when we're there!!!!!:eek:

From what i heard this isnt much else at pentacost so they only stop there during the land diving season. I wouldnt imagine they would stop there if there was to be no land diving on. I havent ever been there so i am not sure how accurate the information is

Megan

They onky go to Pentecost fr the land diving. There is nothing else muych to do thereYou will notice that ships only go there for a couple of months of the year as that is the only time they do the diving. so You will see It. Also dont rush there to get a seat . It goes for a couple of hours and gets really boring by the time the last guy jumps off the last platform

Icy

I can't remember which day of the week we were there, but I'm pretty sure that they do the land diving whenever the ships are in. It's probably traditionally done on a Saturday, but they do it on any other cruise ship day as well.

I can't remember which day of the week we were there, but I'm pretty sure that they do the land diving whenever the ships are in. It's probably traditionally done on a Saturday, but they do it on any other cruise ship day as well.

We were there on a Sunday ;)

Went to Pentecost last April and loved it. But a word of warning it is very hot and not a lot of shade so remember you hat and sunscreen and water. They were selling bottles of water at the land diving site but run out and a long wait for new supplies. Go early if you want to see the young divers but later if you want to see the divers who dive from the highest spot.:)

The ships only go to Pentecost for the land diving.

It is well worth it.

As someone previously mentioned, there is not a lot of shade there. A good position is up front, to the left of the tower. Some nice shade trees there.

Be aware. This is not a stage show. When we were there we did witness a couple of injuries. I think the third diver, who was about 12/13 yo landed very awkwardly and had to be carried away. The "elders" rushed in very quickly and cut the ropes off him then carried him off.

Apart from that we found that the ship provided lots of refreshments (to purchase) including cold beer and soft drinks. Never had much of a waiting line. And everything could be bought using your cruise card.

Definitely worth seeing.

thanks again for all the info, you guys are all so informative, its great. You wouldnt get this much great advice at your travel agents i wouldnt think.I am really looking forward to Pentacost now ,knowing that the land diving will be on!:D

Archived