new to luxury cruising

littlej

Hello all,

I've been absent from the boards since our last cruise (May 2005, Bermuda on RCI Voyager of the Seas). During that time my DH and I have created and raised to the ripe old age of 21 months a funny little mini-person. I'm 'bout ready for another cruise. We've been on two together, the afore-mentioned, and a 7-day on RCI Mariner of the Seas to the E. Caribbean in 2004. We're looking for a 7-day cruise in 2009, without our son, but more importantly, we're ready to leave the mass-market audience. I love the idea of fine dining, tips included and drinks included (we don't drink much, but we drink well). Can you fine folks recommend a line or a specific ship for us to try? I can't say money is no object, but I'm prepared to spend more for a more refined, quieter, higher-end experience.

Thanks!

Oceania is the next step up from mainstream. However I don't think they do 7 day cruises...only longer. Then you can move up even more to Crystal and Seaborn. However if you move upscale remember the clientele gets much older. Don't know if that would be a plus or minus for you. Costs really jump on C. and S.

Have you tried Celebrity? It is more service orientated and the food is MUCH better than RCL. The ships are mid size. (The true luxury cruise ships are all under 500 passengers. ) You might enjoy Celebrity better because those ships have more activities than a true luxury cruise. And Celebrity is a real good value for your money. Look at their "smaller ships" if you want it even quieter. (Galaxy or Century)

Would you be interested in a Windstar Cruise? Glorified clipper. No kids on that line. Why not go to all these web sites and see what you think.

Remember if you travel during kids' vacations from school, the whole atmosphere changes on all ships. (except Crystal and Seaborn) Try to travel in school months and you won't have the "family" vacationers in huge numbers.

Oh...I forgot..you might want to look at Cunard too. For formality it's right up there. Holland America is very nice, but then again always an older clientele if that matters. Seeing you only want the 7 day cruise however, know that you are limiting yourself to certain lines and itineraries.

Have a great time planning. I'm sure you'll get lots more advice here.

Regent offers a wonderful experience. Great suites (much larger than Oceania cabins), open dining times, multiple restaurants without surcharges and all inclusive.

I recommend the Voyager for the extensive dining options.

Oceania and Azamara are premium, not luxury and they might work for you as well. However, the extra costs on these lines can really add up so compare apples to apples, not oranges.

RSSC is my very favorite line and the best adult cruising experience I have ever had. I love not being nickel and dimed and having a beatiful, large cabin no matter the category.

HAL is also a nice "premium" line.

My friend only sails Crystal. They have sailed all the luxury lines, and think Crystal offers the widest spectrum. They thought Seaborn was too "stuffy".

Again, it is a subjective call~~it's whatever you like.

Pat

I've been on them all, with regards to the big four of luxury lines, and I would rank them as follows: Seabourn, Crystal, Regent and Silversea. I do not consider the likes of Oceania or Azamara as luxury lines, but slightly more upscale than the mass markets. The big four have smaller ships, higher crew to passenger ratios, cruise more exotic itineraries and provide more amenities. If you want something that provides more to do than the others, then I'd highly recommend Crystal. They have larger ships than the others and they provide more in the way of entertainment for sea days and in the evening. I feel the whole entertainment deal is lacking on the other three lines because their ships are so small and they just don't have the space to provide lots of activities. Crystal's ships have ranked the highest than any other ships, in all travel magazines, so that has to mean a little something.

You might consider posting this to both the Family and Luxury forums. I would recommend that you consider a line with good baby sitting service as you may not want to take your child to the dining room nightly. I have also heard that some of the luxury lines (or at least many of their passengers) are not all that family friendly. Good Luck!

You might consider posting this to both the Family and Luxury forums. I would recommend that you consider a line with good baby sitting service as you may not want to take your child to the dining room nightly. I have also heard that some of the luxury lines (or at least many of their passengers) are not all that family friendly. Good Luck!

She is not traveling with her son.

Whichever you choose.. have a delightful cruise!:)

I'd love to experience a luxury line someday.

I want to thank everyone for your replies and great insights!

Have you tried Celebrity? It is more service orientated and the food is MUCH better than RCL. The ships are mid size.

Remember if you travel during kids' vacations from school, the whole atmosphere changes on all ships.

Thanks, eandj. I hadn't looked at Celebrity before, because I was afraid it would be too much like the RCI experience. While we were impressed with the size and number of activities on the Mariner class, we really didn't use many of them - extra cost, too long of a line, etc., and many just didn't appeal to us. On a sunny sea day, all I wanted was a quiet lounge in the sun to read and have a tropical drink on. If I could find an empty seat at all, it certainly wasn't quiet, between the belly-flop contests and the fun but very loud band. But the price is more what we're used to, and if the food is that much better, maybe I'll look at it.

Since we're not taking the mini-person, we'll be flexible as to dates, so we can avoid the family-heavy seasons. And we don't mind an older clientele at all, since they're usually quieter, well-traveled, and interesting to talk to. We just hope they won't mind us!

Regent offers a wonderful experience. Great suites (much larger than Oceania cabins), open dining times, multiple restaurants without surcharges and all inclusive.

Hi caviargal. For all your reasons, I seem to be leaning toward RSSC. On their website they're currently featuring a 2 for 1 deal on some cruises. I'm looking into that.

They have sailed all the luxury lines, and think Crystal offers the widest spectrum.

Hi sassyredhat. I'm looking at Crystal too. Can your friends give you a specific example of what they love about it?

Hi Betsy's Mom. Glad to hear about Regent. Sadly, I don't think we could afford a suite on any cruise right now, unless that's the only kind of cabin they have!

If you want something that provides more to do than the others, then I'd highly recommend Crystal.

Hi kitty9. Tell me more about Crystal. As far as entertainment, I enjoyed the Las Vegas style shows a little, but I wouldn't miss them. We found ourselves wishing they had shown more movies at more times in the theater. We liked the comedian act, but the game show acts were tacky. Not much interested in bingo or gambling. The idea of topical seminars are intriguing, as was something I read about a scaled down opera company on one of the lines! I'd love to see a Cirque du Soleil type performance.

Thanks for your replies, SelectSys and WinnieinWA. I might post to the luxury forum, if people think that might be helpful. I think I enjoy the dreaming and anticipation most of all!

Jenny

Jenny, Crystal has their Creative Learning Institute that offers classes and lectures in computer science, cooking, investments, health and wellness, bridge, piano (they actually have a piano teacher and small electric Yamaha pianos on board) food and wine and art. And by art, I don't mean those art auctions, but a professional that will provide lessons in drawing, painting and sculpture. Crystal also provides guest lecturers who speak about pertinent topics related to the cruise you're on and current world events. I've seen ambassadors, professors, journalists, members of the print and television media, authors, actors and those in the entertainment field. They also have theme cruises such as Broadway, Big Band, Jazz and Food and Wine where they have experts in those fields who will either entertain or give lectures. As for evening entertainment, it's divided among their own entertainment troop who do five different Las Vegas type shows and guest entertainers who tend more towards more classical music such as pianists, vocalists, violinists, and the like. They will also have the ocassional comedian. Their Vegas shows are fantastic and very well done--not at all over-glitzy.

Crystal has first run movies that run twice or three times a day. As an example, I was on board Crystal Symphony when the Oscar nominations were announced and Crystal had copies off all the nominated movies air expressed to the ship and showed them every day in the theater. That's just a small example of the lengths Crystal goes to provide an excellent experience to their passengers.

Another example of how Crystal treats their passengers is this: I was talking to some passengers on my Hungarian background and the food I make at home and how I missed that on the cruise. The next day, all of us who were talking about this received an invitation to a special lunch where the chef prepared a Hungarian meal. You won't find that on any other cruise line. To be honest, I asked my waiter on RSSC if I could have a shrimp cocktail for dinner one night and was told that if it wasn't on the menu, they wouldn't provide it. You won't hear that on Crystal or Seabourn.

I asked my waiter on RSSC if I could have a shrimp cocktail for dinner one night and was told that if it wasn't on the menu, they wouldn't provide it. You won't hear that on Crystal or Seabourn.

... or for this matter in the Grill restaurants of Cunard ships. Cunard does not include tips and drinkes in the fares but if you are really looking for fine dining you might consider Cunard.

In the Grills you can ask for whatever you like one meal in advance. You are absolutely not bound by the suggestions on the menu but can order what ever you desire and the kitchen will do their best to provide it. Everything is freshly prepared, quality, presentation and service are excellent.

There is a reason the Queens Grills on various Cunard ships have got awards for being the best restaurant at sea.

Archived