Rental Car in Antigua

lucrob

Has anyone ever rented a car/jeep and driven around themselves on Antigua? Would you recommend? We're used to hairpin turns, etc. however never have driven on the left side of the road. Is this the case in Antigua?

Any recommendations for car rental? Would there be on at the pier?

Thanks

We did. Booked ahead with Hertz. Called the 800 international # and booked a car on Antigua, St. Maarten and in Puerto Rico all at one time. They will meet you about a block in from the pier if you book thru the main office and tell them what ship and date and time of arrival.

We like to rent cars and do our own thing. Yes, driving is on the left so that can be tricky. But once we were out of town the traffic was almost non-existent. We toured the whole island including a couple of hours at Long Bay at the beach. We loved Antigua. Like a tropical Texas hill country :) Really nice people too.

• 2 weeks later...

I rented a Corolla from Hertz last month. Call the international desk and ask for a AAA rate. It doesn't matter that you might not have AAA. They don't ask for it. Our car was around 57 incl taxes(High season). What it doesn't include is a drivers license that cost $20 cash.

There are very few hairpin turns and the roads are pretty flat and easy. The round abouts might cause you the most anxiety, but after you get out of St. Johns, there is very little traffic. It also helps to get back to the pier at or before the kids get out of school, as traffic really picks up then, and kids are walking around everywhere. It was 3:00 or 3:30.

When we were there, Hertz did not have an office at the pier. Instead, one of their reps plants themselves at a picnic table in the shopping area, and they place a sign on the table. Until they get there, there is no sign. And the taxi/van drivers didn't even know where they were suposed to be. It wasn't the easiest to find...but it worked out. They have tables (picnic) at both piers.

The Corolla worked out great. We drove around for hours, and the gas guage never moved off of full. We never stopped for gas, before we returned the car.

We also paid $57.00 for the day. We had an almost brand new Suzuki Grand Vitara. $20.00 for antiguan drivers license. Makes a good souvenier :)

We met our rep (Vivian) at a small hotel about a block in from the gate to the pier. Very convenient.

Also.....make sure the rep goes around the car with you and markes any scratches, dents, or any other blemish.....before you leave. There is a place to mark them on the rental papers.

The roundabouts arent too bad. Just remember left going in - left coming out. I agree there are no hair pin turns.....but when heading south it is not all flat. DO NOT MISS Fig Tree Drive.... it is beautiful.

I rented from Dollar Rent a Car in November. The also meet you by the pier and return you. Traffic and parking downtown is horrible (a locals with insight only thing). Dollar was very professional and friendly; we had a group and rented three vans. They moved all of us to and fro very well.

We drove south to Nelson's Dockyard at English Harbor, then to the coastal road via Fig Tree Drive and had lunch and swimming at Turners Beach. It worked out very well.

• 1 month later...

Were you able to go around the entire island while you were there? Are there any good maps or guidebooks that mention routes to take or recommended stops/scenic points/beaches?

We are wanting to take our own tour but have considered doing it in a scooter. My bf has had a motorcycle for almost 10 years, but no scooter experience. Do they go much slower than cars? Will we still be able to do the whole island?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We rented a car while in Antigua. We reserved an SUV through Hertz and made arrangements to meet someone at Cheers. To make a long story short, when we found Cheers there was a lady from Hertz but she had no record of our reservation. We ended up getting a Corolla and the cost was $57 plus an additional $20 for the license.

There was a kiosk for Dollar rental car just around the corner.

Driving in St. John's was a bit nerve wracking (narrow one way streets where people park on both sides of the road) however the drivers are friendly. Once outside the city there is hardly any traffic. Driving on the left was not a problem.

I would HIGHLY recommend renting a car. You have the full day to explore the island at your own pace and because the island is small with very few roads it's impossible to get lost (just be careful of the donkeys and goats that like to walk in the middle of the road!)

• 2 weeks later...

We rented a Corolla and were given a horribly out of date map, but I can't recall the rental agency. It was a major one and they had a small office at the airport. The problem was there were political parades & protests going on in St. Johns, this was 4 or 5 years ago. We kept getting detoured out of town to the NE and horribly lost for 2 1/2 hrs. I found a nice guy at a gas station and paid him $20.00 US to drive to the Royal Antiguan, which he did and we followed. THIS WAS THE BEST TWENTY I'VE EVER SPENT! He took us through back alleys to get us around the activities, we thought we were dead meat! It all worked out though. But we'll never rent a car on one of these islands again. Native islanders were trying to get in accidents with us, we were told it's big business there to collect insurance settlements from tourists as there are few legitimate jobs there. When we, thank GOD, made it back to the airport, we saw a miserable, elderly caucasion couple at the entrance to the airport involved in a collision with natives while a constable did the report - DOLLAR SIGNS IN ALL OF THEIR EYES. Do yourself a favor, take a taxi - their are no street signs on the roads either- WHAT A SETTUP! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• 6 months later...
We rented a Corolla and were given a horribly out of date map, but I can't recall the rental agency. It was a major one and they had a small office at the airport. The problem was there were political parades & protests going on in St. Johns, this was 4 or 5 years ago. We kept getting detoured out of town to the NE and horribly lost for 2 1/2 hrs. I found a nice guy at a gas station and paid him $20.00 US to drive to the Royal Antiguan, which he did and we followed. THIS WAS THE BEST TWENTY I'VE EVER SPENT! He took us through back alleys to get us around the activities, we thought we were dead meat! It all worked out though. But we'll never rent a car on one of these islands again. Native islanders were trying to get in accidents with us, we were told it's big business there to collect insurance settlements from tourists as there are few legitimate jobs there. When we, thank GOD, made it back to the airport, we saw a miserable, elderly caucasion couple at the entrance to the airport involved in a collision with natives while a constable did the report - DOLLAR SIGNS IN ALL OF THEIR EYES. Do yourself a favor, take a taxi - their are no street signs on the roads either- WHAT A SETTUP! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Thanks for the info diggitydog, We'll be there in December & I'm still looking for something to do other than a ship tour.

BTW- We're also from Cape Coral & your the first person I seen on the board from here. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Last weekend+, I spent 5 days in Antigua. It was my second time renting a car there (with Dollar). I cheap car (in decent - not pristine - condition) was $36 or $38 daily not including tax. I waived insurance at $17 daily.

Antigua has half a dozen to a dozen main roads that are in 'fair' or 'fairly good' condition; the rest are in poor condition with nasty chuck holes. Some roads also have deep exposed box style drainage troughs. Road signage is minimal and maps tend to be out of date (there are more intersection lights than the maps indicate so counting them as a directional means can throw you off). The island is easy to drive directionally though due to topographical features (unlike Barbados).

I take issue with the assertion that locals seek out tourists to hit. That sounds like neo-colonial paranoia. They just tend to drive in the center of the (lineless) roads as a matter of habit because the chuck holes tend to be most prevalent on the edges. The natives I've delt with were all friendly. Antigua does have some crime issues as do most places so you do need to be aware generally. I drove from one end of the island to the other through St. Johns on Saturday night (lost at times) without incedent. My back seat driving wife was overwhelmed but - in reality - all it took was patience.

I flattened a tire and bent the wheel in a car eater chuck hole near my hotel. I then learned that the tool kit lacked a lug wrench. I was at the hotel so it was no problem, the staff changed the tire. BUT CHECK YOUR CAR'S TOOLS BEFORE YOU GO OUT. The rest of the stay - knowing that we were without another spare or proper kit - kept my wife wound up, but again no problems. The lack of tool could have been real bad in nearly any other fact pattern.

On return, the rental car rep at the airport took the car to a nearby shop and finessed $20 out of me for the wheel repair while I checked in with the airline. He returned and gave me receipts - but not for the tire. To tell the truth, the wheel repair (much less replacement) should've run a lot more than $20. I'd saved $85 on the insurance waiver so no complaints (wheel of fortune).

Driving in Antigua is an economical way to see the island at your own pace. Just take it easy and watch the road surface.

Archived