Self walking tour possible in Nassau???

dinomac

My wife and I enjoy walking and good exercise. Is it possible, with Frommers map and some pre-studying to do a walking self-tour and see lots of the sites? Is it safe to go out on your own? I would like to see a fort if possible, some public gardens and historical sites. Let me know! Need to walk off some of the weight we will be gaining while on the cruise!

It's certainly possible to make it to the Queens staircase and Fort Finncastle while walking. We did it in 2006 and saw quite a few historical sites. We even did the Pirates Museum which was a bit expensive, but we were on a pirate kick at the time and I had to see it.....arrrrg!

When we were done we made the mistake of heading into the Straw Market..never again. We did some shopping on the Main Street in town and I can't wait to do that again with my DD.

Wondering if Ardastra Gardens is within walking distance of the dock????

I've heard it's walkable but it's at least a couple of miles. The person that I read about who walked said it took about 45 minutes.

The 10A jitney bus is only $1/way. I love to walk, but for that price, I think I'm just going to take the bus. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

We did this last year in April..it was awesome..if you love the walkabout stuff..say the Bahamian Judge and got a private tour of the legislative building by chance(I am an American Gov't teacher and told them so)..LOved the Queens Staircase and met an awesome group of schoolchildren who LOVED having their group picture for the "kids back in America"..the teacher was wonderful too..came across two "church going ladies " dressed in their finest..my 17 yo DD and I really felt we got to meet and mingle with the real people..Delightful...susan

We did this last year in April..it was awesome..if you love the walkabout stuff..say the Bahamian Judge and got a private tour of the legislative building by chance(I am an American Gov't teacher and told them so)..LOved the Queens Staircase and met an awesome group of schoolchildren who LOVED having their group picture for the "kids back in America"..the teacher was wonderful too..came across two "church going ladies " dressed in their finest..my 17 yo DD and I really felt we got to meet and mingle with the real people..Delightful...susan

Archived