Snorkeling from Cove Beach at Atlantis?

mjsagain

Does anybody have any experience with snorkeling from Cove Beach at Atlantis? This is from the Atlantis website:

"Tropical fish and magnificent coral await guests for a snorkeling adventure. Snorkel in the seven-acre Paradise Lagoon or right from Cove Beach and actually participate in our coral reef research project."

We have booked the Caribbean Queen Snorkel Tour excursion through Disney Cruise Line, but are instead considering getting day passes at Atlantis (via booking a room at the Comfort Suites). I've read that the Paradise Lagoon snorkeling is quite poor, but if we could do a little bit of snorkeling from the beach and also do all of the other stuff at Atlantis, it might be ideal for us. We are very novice snorkelers, so we don't need anything too elaborate to satisfy our interest.

I did the lagoon snorkel. I have to say that I thought it was pretty poor.

No real variety of fish, coral, etc. On a scale of 1-10, I would have to call it a 2. Actually, considering how wonderul everything else in Atlantis was, I actually felt like time had been wasted even bothering to put a snorkel in my mouth. Visibility was poor as well, the water in the lagoon is not as clean as the ocean.

I did not snorkel off the beach, although sand beach means no coral means no fish. So unless there is a reef which can be easily reached, chances are that will dissapoint as well.

I did the lagoon snorkel. I have to say that I thought it was pretty poor.

No real variety of fish, coral, etc. On a scale of 1-10, I would have to call it a 2. Actually, considering how wonderul everything else in Atlantis was, I actually felt like time had been wasted even bothering to put a snorkel in my mouth. Visibility was poor as well, the water in the lagoon is not as clean as the ocean.

I did not snorkel off the beach, although sand beach means no coral means no fish. So unless there is a reef which can be easily reached, chances are that will dissapoint as well.

There used to be a bit of reef and coral off the left side of the Cove, but all the construction, lime leeching from concrete, and the jetty have pretty much put an end to it. Hope is that left alone, some coral will rejuvenate and bring some sealife.

The Inside of the breakwater (at paradise beach) has some shallow coral beds with juvenile fishes.. Still not reason to celebrate, but it's not a total waste of time.

The Paradise lagoon is a waste of time. Its a man made lagoon, with pumps keeping it clean.. not much grows there naturally.

bring your own mask and snorkel... Rentals, like everything else Atlantis, are way over the top.

Archived