Closest Airport to Manhattan/Brooklyn terminal

kywildcatfanone

Hi,

We are considering a Princess cruise on the Caribbean Princess in June. According to their web site, the terminal is "Manhattan or Brooklyn". I've never been there, are they close to each other? I'm really trying to decide on which airport is closest/easiest to get to the terminal from? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

The Crown Princess leaves from Brooklyn as do most of the Princess ships.

http://www.nycruise.com shows a calendar and which ship leaves from where.

The closest Airport to both the Manhattan Cruise terminal and Brooklyn Cruise terminal is LGA. LGA is 10 miles from Brooklyn and 8 from Manhattan.

EWR is second at about 14 miles from Manhattan and 18 miles to Brooklyn.

JFK is 16 miles the most direct way to Brooklyn(by the streets) but most cars and cabs go the long way which is 24. A second highway way to Brooklyn is 20 miles.

EWR is the most expensive to both Brooklyn and Manhattan by car or car service to Brooklyn its about 70 and close to that to Manhattan.

LGA is the 30-35 both to Brooklyn and Manhattan Cruise terminals

and JFK to and from Manhattan is fixed at $45.00 plus toll and tip.

JFK to and from Brooklyn by cab will run $45.00 plus tip and there are no tolls.

The Crown Princess leaves from Brooklyn as do most of the Princess ships.

www.nycruise.com shows a calendar and which ship leaves from where.

The closest Airport to both the Manhattan Cruise terminal and Brooklyn Cruise terminal is LGA. LGA is 10 miles from Brooklyn and 8 from Manhattan.

EWR is second at about 14 miles from Manhattan and 18 miles to Brooklyn.

JFK is 16 miles the most direct way to Brooklyn(by the streets) but most cars and cabs go the long way which is 24. A second highway way to Brooklyn is 20 miles.

EWR is the most expensive to both Brooklyn and Manhattan by car or car service to Brooklyn its about 70 and close to that to Manhattan.

LGA is the 30-35 both to Brooklyn and Manhattan Cruise terminals

and JFK to and from Manhattan is fixed at $45.00 plus toll and tip.

JFK to and from Brooklyn by cab will run $45.00 plus tip and there are no tolls.

Smeyer418,

Thanks so much for the details. I looked at the web site, and it says the CB will sail out of Brooklyn. Gosh, those cab prices sound expensive for the distance, but I guess that's life in a big city. I have found a direct flight into and out of EWR that fits the cruise schedule very well. But I will see what I can find out of LGA. Do you know if Princess offers transfers from any of these airports? If you have any other advice, please let me know.

Mike

Smeyer418,

Thanks so much for the details. I looked at the web site, and it says the CB will sail out of Brooklyn. Gosh, those cab prices sound expensive for the distance, but I guess that's life in a big city. I have found a direct flight into and out of EWR that fits the cruise schedule very well. But I will see what I can find out of LGA. Do you know if Princess offers transfers from any of these airports? If you have any other advice, please let me know.

Mike

NY cab prices are among the cheapest in large cities. Yes princess offers transfers- if you are more than one a cab or car service will be less expensive. The reason the cabs from and to NJ are more expensive is that you are crossing a state line and most of the time its the NJ cabs - not the NYC licensed ones that are more expensive.

Smeyer418,

I have found a direct flight into and out of EWR that fits the cruise schedule very well. But I will see what I can find out of LGA. Do you know if Princess offers transfers from any of these airports? If you have any other advice, please let me know.

Mike

PLEASE don't fly into EWR for a cruise out of Brooklyn. You could easily spend an hour (or more) getting from the airport to the pier. Transport will easily cost you TWICE as much, not counting the hassle of trying to get from NJ to NYC if you don't make arrangements in advance. Bridge/tunnel tolls from NJ to NYC go up almost double the first of March, which will increase the fares.

You would have to save a LOT of money (well over $100.00pp) to justify the hassle of flying into EWR for a cruise out of Brooklyn.

PLEASE don't fly into EWR for a cruise out of Brooklyn. You could easily spend an hour (or more) getting from the airport to the pier. Transport will easily cost you TWICE as much, not counting the hassle of trying to get from NJ to NYC if you don't make arrangements in advance. Bridge/tunnel tolls from NJ to NYC go up almost double the first of March, which will increase the fares.

You would have to save a LOT of money (well over $100.00pp) to justify the hassle of flying into EWR for a cruise out of Brooklyn.

OK, thanks for the advice. I will focus my energy on LGA AND JFK, but it sounds like LGA is the way to go.

Mike

NY cab prices are among the cheapest in large cities. Yes princess offers transfers- if you are more than one a cab or car service will be less expensive. The reason the cabs from and to NJ are more expensive is that you are crossing a state line and most of the time its the NJ cabs - not the NYC licensed ones that are more expensive.

OK, that makes sense. Thanks for the advice! I called Princess and their transfers are $80/pp roundtrip. I think a cab sounds better all the time...

Mike

OK, that makes sense. Thanks for the advice! I called Princess and their transfers are $80/pp roundtrip. I think a cab sounds better all the time...

Mike

from KY you should be able to get a non stop flight or a one stop flight into LGA. Generally its the coast to coast flight that don't do LGA non stop. LGA has the shortest runways and large planes or planes full with a heavy load can't land there.

LGA has the shortest runways and large planes or planes full with a heavy load can't land there.

Oh great, that makes me feel better.:p Yes, I can find a non-stop flight I think fairly easily. I was looking at EWR because it was about a $80/pp cheaper flight, but it sounds like that cost would be eaten up by the trouble getting to the terminal. I will focus my attention on LGA. Thanks for the invaluable advice, I really appreciate it.

Mike

PLEASE don't fly into EWR for a cruise out of Brooklyn.

We really don't have much of a choice.. EWR is the only nonstop out of Seattle..:(

I've looked at Dial7 and Carmel. Dial7 seems to get better reviews. For a towncar they are $44 into Midtown..We'll be getting there a couple of days early to do the tourist thing..:)

The thing is, for 4 people they recommend an SUV or minivan.. And that is $135. It's cheaper to get 2 towncars..LOL

Can anyone give me an idea of how much the tolls will be from EWR to NYC?

We really don't have much of a choice.. EWR is the only nonstop out of Seattle..:(

I've looked at Dial7 and Carmel. Dial7 seems to get better reviews. For a towncar they are $44 into Midtown..We'll be getting there a couple of days early to do the tourist thing..:)

The thing is, for 4 people they recommend an SUV or minivan.. And that is $135. It's cheaper to get 2 towncars..LOL

It depends how they go. The NJ Turnpike to the Lincoln tunnel is about $1.30. The Lincoln Tunnel non rush hours with e-z pass is now $4.00 without an ez pass its 6. going up to 8 dollars....(there is only a toll going into Manhattan on Both the Lincoln and Holland tunnel.

To the Holland Tunnel you use 1-9 and that tunnel is the same as the Lincoln and then the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel which is 4.50 each way

It depends how they go. The NJ Turnpike to the Lincoln tunnel is about $1.30. The Lincoln Tunnel non rush hours with e-z pass is now $4.00 without an ez pass its 6. going up to 8 dollars....(there is only a toll going into Manhattan on Both the Lincoln and Holland tunnel.

To the Holland Tunnel you use 1-9 and that tunnel is the same as the Lincoln and then the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel which is 4.50 each way

Thank You!! :)

We really don't have much of a choice.. EWR is the only nonstop out of Seattle..:( ?

Don't know when you are flying, but Delta, JetBlue, AA and Alaska all fly nonstop from SEA to JFK on a year round schedule. Continental and some Alaska flights go into EWR.

I took Dial7 from EWR cargo area (back side of the airport) to the W hotel on 39th St in Manhattan Jan 10th. Receipt I was given-$67.00 including $8.00 tip.

• 2 years later...
Looking at booking a flight that would have a short time between Disembark and arriving at airport. How long should I plan for a trip from the cruise terminal to LGA?

it should take less than an hour from either terminal to the airport once you are in the cab/car service. It takes at least an hour to be on time for your flight so you need to leave at least 2-3 hours from actual getting off time to the airport to safely make your plane.

Assuming your ship arrives on times and clears without a problem and you take your own luggage off most of the time 11 am is safe but sometimes it isn't....so 12 is better.

We are planning to fly in from the West Coast the day before our cruise that leaves out of Brooklyn. LGA seems to be the closest airport. We will be arriving at the end of the day. Is there a nice hotel in Brooklyn close to the pier or should we stay in NYC?

We are planning to fly in from the West Coast the day before our cruise that leaves out of Brooklyn. LGA seems to be the closest airport. We will be arriving at the end of the day. Is there a nice hotel in Brooklyn close to the pier or should we stay in NYC?

The closest full service nice hotel is the Brooklyn Marriott. the next down would be the Nu Hotel at Atlantic and Smith Streets. There are a number of Holiday Inn's that I would NOT recommend although they are passable. If you know how to use Priceline any 3* hotel in the Wall Street area would be fine and a short ride to the Brooklyn Cruise terminal.

Since LGA has almost no non stops from the West Coast. You should consider flying into either EWR or JFK....the cost of the cab ride while slightly more can sometimes be made up by a cheaper and more convenient flight.

LGA to Manhattan will be around $30-5 and a Cab from JFK to lower Manhattan is fixed at $45.00 plus toll and tip...from EWR its a little more but not that much more- although generally using a pre arranged car service from and too EWR is less expensive than a cab.

Archived