Food on Wonder Lake shuttle

cruise junky joan

We are planning on taking this shuttle tour which I understand lasts about 12 hours. Is there a common stopping point for picinicing on whatever food we have brought with us and if so where? I believe this bus leaves about 5:30 a.m. so a spot at wonder lake around 12:00 would be great for lunch.

We are planning on taking this shuttle tour which I understand lasts about 12 hours. Is there a common stopping point for picinicing on whatever food we have brought with us and if so where? I believe this bus leaves about 5:30 a.m. so a spot at wonder lake around 12:00 would be great for lunch.

We usually just eat on the bus as you're really never in one place long enough to stop and picnic unless you get off your bus and then try and board a later one.

Susan in Anchorage :)

The bugs depend a lot on what kind of summer and fall/winter we had. If they laid their eggs and they didn't freeze too bad, then lots of bugs. I've only been to Wonder Lake once and I think it was June or July and that is one thing I remember the bugs. And our mosquitos up here are very persistent :D

Plus if there is a lot of bear activity you don't necessarily want to be out picniking. I'll never forget the one year and it was the year we went to Wonder Lake, but then we were staying within the park in our camper at Teklanika and our bus came around a curve and there was a top heavy VW that hadn't made the curve and was on it's side. There was also a bus coming from the other direction, so people from both buses got off to help. Well next thing you know over the hill here comes a bear, he could smell their food, so everyone got back on the buses, and watched. So one of the bus drivers decided to let out air through the brakes and that finally scared him off. Once he was gone, they got out and uprighted the VW and everyone went on their merry way.

We usually just eat on the bus as you're really never in one place long enough to stop and picnic unless you get off your bus and then try and board a later one.

Ditto here - we just ate on the bus! It worked out fine and I agree with AKSusan - not sure I would want to have food out at Wonder Lake with bears possibly around!;)

ewww: Very good point. I hadn't thought about the idea of yogi and booboo joining us for our lunch. AkSusan: how has your winter been so far. As far as I can tell your snow fall is way below normal which is kind of a bummer since I was hoping for snow capped mountains in mid June. Joan

ewww: Very good point. I hadn't thought about the idea of yogi and booboo joining us for our lunch. AkSusan: how has your winter been so far. As far as I can tell your snow fall is way below normal which is kind of a bummer since I was hoping for snow capped mountains in mid June. Joan

Last I knew we were just a little bit under average for snowfall but broke a record last Wednesday/Thursday that had been around since 1944. We got 4.5 inches of snow (well at least where they record it) that day. Lately though it's had the nerve to be in the single digits or below 0 and snow at the same time.

You'll still see snow capped mountains especially when you fly into Anchorage, they have snow all year long. And then if McKinley, Hunter and Foracker are out or the Alaska Range they'll be snow covered. Now Sleeping Lady (Mt. Susitna) or the ones that ring Anchorage may be bare all depends on what kind of break up we have.

Looks like someone posted you'll have 45 minutes at Wonder Lake, so if the bugs aren't bad and the weather is nice you should have a very nice picnic. Just remember you're in bear terrority.

I took all kinds of food in our backpack to Wonder Lake - but we were enjoying the trip too much to even think about eating!! I think we may have eaten one pack of peanut butter crackers and may be a banana, and the bottled water was handy to have. But if the weather's nice, and the wildlife are out, you will NOT be thinking about food! :)

Archived