Poor Mystery Island - and villagers

bazzaw

I feel for the villagers of the village of Anelghowhat on Aneityum Island - which is the village which essentially "services" Mystery Island, Vanuatu

The Fiji Weather Bureau on this webpage http://www.met.gov.fj/aifs_prods/65648.html is predicting a force 3 cyclone (described as "very destructive Hurricane force winds") to directly hit them tomorrow morning.

When we were there in December, the villagers showed us how they put aside "fermenting bananas" into the ground as a foodstore to tide them over these kind of events. We noticed that the locals appear to speak in a kind of "past tense" - so we were not sure as to whether this is what they did in the past or whether they still do it. I can assure you that the stored food was not in any way edible from our perspective - but certainly in times past when they got no other supplies from anywhere, I can see how it developed for them.

They have done wonders with developing Mystery Island - it will be a great pity if all their work is destroyed

Barry

I feel for the villagers of the village of Anelghowhat on Aneityum Island - which is the village which essentially "services" Mystery Island, Vanuatu

The Fiji Weather Bureau on this webpage http://www.met.gov.fj/aifs_prods/65648.html is predicting a force 3 cyclone (described as "very destructive Hurricane force winds") to directly hit them tomorrow morning.

When we were there in December, the villagers showed us how they put aside "fermenting bananas" into the ground as a foodstore to tide them over these kind of events. We noticed that the locals appear to speak in a kind of "past tense" - so we were not sure as to whether this is what they did in the past or whether they still do it. I can assure you that the stored food was not in any way edible from our perspective - but certainly in times past when they got no other supplies from anywhere, I can see how it developed for them.

They have done wonders with developing Mystery Island - it will be a great pity if all their work is destroyed

Barry

Hi Barry, I really hope the damage is minimal, but one never knows with a cyclone. I feel for the local people.

kind regards, Lorraine:) :)

Archived