Are you back from Century? Tell me about Ocho Rios!

TeacherSus

I know there's a Jamaica board, but it seems like people only use it LOOKING for information and there's not a lot of people posting who have already returned and HAVE the information!

I'm wondering how to spend the day in Ocho Rios. We've been thinking about the different all-inclusive options in Ocho Rios (Sandals, Couples, Riu, Sunset Beach, etc.) but I'm looking for more information.

Anyone back recently who can shed some light on the following?:

1) Distances of the AI resorts from the port - How long/how much to get there by taxi?

2) Comparisons or opinions from those who have been there.

3) Info on closed resorts. There were mumblings recently about a resort being closed for rennovations in February but I can't remember which one it was!

4) Any other useful info or ideas you can provide. I'm looking for a nice place for two laid-back (read: non-partying) 30 something couples to spend the day. We're pretty much open to anything!

Thanks so much for your help!

Not sure this is up your alley, but we've been to Ocho Rios twice, and have now developed a tradition. First, three words: Dunns River Falls. If you've never done it before (and you're able), you simply have to do it. Just practice your "no thank you's" because they hawk BIG time. Once you get back to the port, as you walk away from the ship, there is a shopping area to the left on the main road. In front of it is a small restaurant, Jerk Taj. It's definitely nothing to look at, but their jerk chicken is absolutely the best in the world. Wash it down with an ice cold Red Stripe. THAT, my friend, is a day in Ocho Rios. IMHO.

Archived