Segway Tour

ducker

Can anyone provide location info? Web site does not show a map. Jose just sent confirmation e-mail that states .... pier 2, left wing Off. 4 .....

Appreciate any assistance!

Most ships dock at pier 4. When you exit turn left along the water to pier 2. There are some shops and Jose is in the back on the left side. Have fun.

Preston

I too was looking at this and notice that for the 2 hour tour you only get 15 minutes at each fort. Is this really enough time? I am not a huge history buff where I want to spend hours wandering around, but 15 minutes just barely seems like enough time to get in and get out. A reply from anyone that has done this excursion is appreciated.

Thank you,

cruisedawgg, I had worried about the time difference myself. From what I can figure out though, since we'll have moved our clocks ahead one hour by then, we should be on the same time. Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken.:o

Does PR also change their clocks, ahead one hour?

cruisedogg- I went to the personal world clock site http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/ and from what I can tell PR does not participate in Daylight Savings Time so I think we're safe. Hope this is true!
Tari, when (if) you find out for sure, please let me know! :p

Hate to miss the tour, or be one hour early, standing around where DW can 'shop'..:eek: ;)

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.segwaytourspr.com/

Fortifications Audio Guided Tour

Duration: 2 hours.

Cost: $70.00 per guest + tax

Tour runs: 3 times daily, 9:00am, 12:00pm, 3:00pm

------------------------------

Sightseeing Audio Guided Tour

Duration: 45 minutes

Cost: $35.00 per guest + tax

Tour runs: Daily from 9:00am to 5:00pm. According to demand.

It was within "Guided Tours"

• 1 month later...

We were fortunate enough to have booked a 2 hour fortifications tour with Jose at Segway Tours in San Juan a few months back. We had been looking forward to our excursion here for some time....and we weren't let down. Last week we were finally able to take our 2 hour tour on the segways through Old San Juan.

Upon arriving for our 9 a.m. tour, we met Jose and Natalie. Jose showed us some basics on the segway and then Natalie had us practice riding on the segways for a few minutes, to make sure we were comfortable.

After we were done with that, we were off on our 2 hour segway tour. Natalie was our guide and trust me when I say that she knows her history! She knew so much and could answer all of our questions. She was great about taking photos of us while we were zipping around San Juan.

Aside from the segway just being fun....it was a very informative tour. We'll be booking another segway tour next time we're in San Juan.

For those of you wanting more information, here's the website:

If you email Jose, he will email you back pretty quickly. He's extremely friendly and very easy to talk to.

They take cash, Visa and MasterCard.

For anyone that has a segway tour booked, but you're not sure how to find the location...I've got two photos to help you. When you get off the ship head to your left and you'll come up to a little outdoor shopping area. Jose's shop is located there, in the back.

segway1.jpg (yellow arrow is his shop)

segway2.jpg

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you...thank you, gumballz! The photos will be a big help when we get to Old San Juan. We have Jose's segways booked for our upcoming Nov 08 cruise with 6 of our friends--he was nice enough to change his start time to 3:30 for our 2 hour tour since our ship doesn't arrive until 3 pm. The tour can only accommodate 6 at a time, I believe, so this worked out perfectly for everyone! You can travel 5x faster on a segway than walking and we can really get a lot of sightseeing done that way! I also saw somewhere that his narration as he walks you through El Morro is even better than the fort's official tour guide's. I am only really concerned about riding a segway on the steepest streets of OSJ--they don't really have brakes so how good a job can they do when you are zipping downhill!!?? OMG!!!!Mind you, I am still going to do it but I just wonder--how do you stop? PS There is a great shot of President Bush on You Tube if you type in "segway crash"--sorry, don't look if you're a Republican! Seriously though, can you tell me what streets the tour covers?

Thank you...thank you, gumballz! The photos will be a big help when we get to Old San Juan. We have Jose's segways booked for our upcoming Nov 08 cruise with 6 of our friends--he was nice enough to change his start time to 3:30 for our 2 hour tour since our ship doesn't arrive until 3 pm. The tour can only accommodate 6 at a time, I believe, so this worked out perfectly for everyone! You can travel 5x faster on a segway than walking and we can really get a lot of sightseeing done that way! I also saw somewhere that his narration as he walks you through El Morro is even better than the fort's official tour guide's. I am only really concerned about riding a segway on the steepest streets of OSJ--they don't really have brakes so how good a job can they do when you are zipping downhill!!?? OMG!!!!Mind you, I am still going to do it but I just wonder--how do you stop? PS There is a great shot of President Bush on You Tube if you type in "segway crash"--sorry, don't look if you're a Republican! Seriously though, can you tell me what streets the tour covers?

I toured with Jose and his wife over Xmas and it was great. The machines do not have brakes exactly but they will hold position going up or down. They will teach you in 10 minutes and you will love it.

Preston

I am only really concerned about riding a segway on the steepest streets of OSJ--they don't really have brakes so how good a job can they do when you are zipping downhill!!?? OMG!!!!Mind you, I am still going to do it but I just wonder--how do you stop? Seriously though, can you tell me what streets the tour covers?

We had no problem- you are right, the Segway does not have brakes, but you just lean back a bit and you stop and can go in reverse even. Unless you are leaning forward, it won't go. SO hill are not a problem- you control if it goes or not just by leaning a little bit front ways or back.

You go along the Paseo de la Princesa, then up some small side roads until you get to El Morro.

After the tour of the fort, we came down the road by San Cristobal, but that may have changed because Jose no longer tours San Cristobal.

Don't worry about no brakes. Coquishideaway is right about you controlling it by leaning. We just did the tour last Sunday and it was a blast. Yes, you do go up AND down cobblestone streets, but it's very easy and much easier than having to walk it! We came down the same way as we went up. San Cristobal is not part of the tour. You don't exactly go zipping down hills. The Segway is set up so that it won't go more than 5 mph and you control it up to that point. If you want to crawl downhill, you certainly can do that. Don't spend another second worrying about it. It's EASY!!!

Thanks for all the words of encouragement. It's funny but it really DOES help!

[i don't think I would be so nervous but I really thought I would be good on a moped in Bermuda last year until my girlfriend and I had three minor "mishaps" in the first hour and decided to turn them back in before we ruined our vacation or died trying! My elbow STILL hurts sometimes! I have always ridden motorcycles, four-wheelers and water-skied etc so I thought I had good balance...BUT after Bermuda, I guess I just really lost my nerve!] Of course, that doesn't mean I won't go right ahead and make a fool of myself on a Segway in Old San Juan--after all, nobody knows me there!

I just couldn't resist this George Bush classic:

bushfalls.jpg

We were fortunate enough to have booked a 2 hour fortifications tour with Jose at Segway Tours in San Juan a few months back. We had been looking forward to our excursion here for some time....and we weren't let down. Last week we were finally able to take our 2 hour tour on the segways through Old San Juan.

Upon arriving for our 9 a.m. tour, we met Jose and Natalie. Jose showed us some basics on the segway and then Natalie had us practice riding on the segways for a few minutes, to make sure we were comfortable.

After we were done with that, we were off on our 2 hour segway tour. Natalie was our guide and trust me when I say that she knows her history! She knew so much and could answer all of our questions. She was great about taking photos of us while we were zipping around San Juan.

Aside from the segway just being fun....it was a very informative tour. We'll be booking another segway tour next time we're in San Juan.

For those of you wanting more information, here's the website:

If you email Jose, he will email you back pretty quickly. He's extremely friendly and very easy to talk to.

They take cash, Visa and MasterCard.

For anyone that has a segway tour booked, but you're not sure how to find the location...I've got two photos to help you. When you get off the ship head to your left and you'll come up to a little outdoor shopping area. Jose's shop is located there, in the back.

segway1.jpg (yellow arrow is his shop)

segway2.jpg

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. :)

Thanks for this photo! I'm going to print it! I just booked my tour today!!

I just did this tour last week when I got off the Carnival Destiny. The tour was supposed to be at 9:00 but we we're just getting off the ship so I called and they said to still come. There was a female guide (I forgot her name) waiting for us. She even let us leave our carry-on bags in the office that she locked up when we went on the ride. We were the only ones on this tour.

The tour was so much fun and she was a great guide. She told us so much about Old San Juan and El Morro. She even took our picture with my camera in front of many of the sites. The segways were a riot. It only takes a little while to get the hang of it. By the end of the tour, I didn't want to get off. Going up and down the cobblestone streets really wasn't hard at all. You will have a blast! I highly recommend this tour!

I just did this tour last week when I got off the Carnival Destiny. The tour was supposed to be at 9:00 but we we're just getting off the ship so I called and they said to still come. There was a female guide (I forgot her name) waiting for us. She even let us leave our carry-on bags in the office that she locked up when we went on the ride. We were the only ones on this tour.

The tour was so much fun and she was a great guide. She told us so much about Old San Juan and El Morro. She even took our picture with my camera in front of many of the sites. The segways were a riot. It only takes a little while to get the hang of it. By the end of the tour, I didn't want to get off. Going up and down the cobblestone streets really wasn't hard at all. You will have a blast! I highly recommend this tour!

Her name is Natalie. She's great, isn't she? She knows so much history and takes a lot of photos of the group (and uses the correct camera for the correct people, too!) lol

Thru this website, I learned about the Segway tour with Jose. I think puertoricandaytrips dot com also had a great writeup about it. My GF and I were on the Carnival Miracle and this was the one shore excursion that I absolutely had to do. I emailed Jose about 2 weeks before and reserved the 2hr fort tour for 4PM since we were docking at 3PM. We found it easily, thanks to gumbalz' pics, and Jose and another couple were waiting for us at around 3:40.

Jose talked everyone thru it, then I watched as the older couple (50's?) handled it with ease and my GF seemed pretty comfortable right away. I ended up having a bit of trouble trusting the gyros or whatever and was a bit tense and Jose had to loosen me up a bit. He asked me "why do you think you're going to fall?" Anyways, I have to admit it took me a few minutes longer than my GF to get comfortable with it, but once I did, man, I did not want to get off the Segway. Jose didn't walk the tour, but instead was on a Segway in front and kept a pretty good eye on us. At one point, the other gentleman's knee locked up as we were going uphill and panicked a bit and jumped off his Segway and I thought for sure my GF was going to freak out, but instead she just stopped on a dime and watched as he eventually stopped his Segway by banging it on the ground. A wee bit scary, but he wasn't hurt and blamed himself for not wearing his knee brace. To show you how easy and fun it is though, he hopped on right after a quick nerve-calming cigarette break.

The fort tour itself is interesting and well-done, but getting there and back on the Segway was definitely the highlight. Everyone you "drive?" by looks and points and smile at you. Since it was pretty hot, people were asking for rides and a few kids were asking their moms why they couldn't do that instead of walking. More than a few tourists ran along side and took pictures. It's absolutely worth the money and we tipped Jose generously as well. My GF said it was her favorite part of our entire cruise, and we had a lot of highlights.

So, thanks to this board and the other members for telling me about this excursion.

• 4 weeks later...

We are thinking of doing this tour in Oct AFTER our cruise but before we go to the airport..that is my question..AOS will be at the "other' Pier--so not only will we need to be off to check our luggage thru to the airport--but also get a taxi to OSJ. Our flight leaves at 3:40 (unless of course they change the schedule -AirTran) since they have it at 9 & 12--12 would be too late for us I really would like to have the 2 hour tour there would be 4 of us. Any ideas? or will the ship let us off in one of the first groups? We ARE Platinum members (have not traveled under this yet)--not sure what we get with that--perhaps early off?

Archived