July 4th and 5th in Seattle

Dlo7103

Hello everyone, our family will be traveling (4 adults) on the Star Princess July 6-13, 2008 out of Seattle. We are flying into Seattle Friday July 4, in the early afternoon and we are needing some help on what to do that Friday and Saturday.

We are staying at the Sheraton downtown, and we wont have a rental car. How easy is it to get to things from there? I know we are going to go to a Mariners game Saturday night, but the rest of our time is open.

Also, what is the easiest way to get whichever port Princess will be leaving from?

Thanks so much for everyone's help.

Princess leaves from Terminal 30, which is south of downtown, about another 1.5-2 miles south of Safeco Field off of First Av. Quick taxi ride (15-30 minutes depending on the traffic) from the Sheraton, and not horrendously expensive.

Buses will be running on holiday (i.e. Sunday) schedule on Friday the 4th. Back on their normal schedules for Saturday. Take a bus to Safeco for the game on Saturday (I may "see" you there...). Walk west from the Sheraton to 1st Av (about 5-6 blocks) and catch a 21, 22, or 56 bus on the west side of the street, and they will let you off directly in front of Safeco Field. To return, catch the downtown shuttle on the east side of the street near the home plate entrance after the game, or follow the crowds to the east side of 4th Avenue and catch any bus going downtown.

There will be two HUGE fireworks shows in town on Friday evening. Fourth of JulIvars takes place at Myrtle Edwards Park down on the waterfront and the King5 Family Fourth celebration takes place on Lake Union. I think that the Sheraton has a "roof garden" type of place that you could go up to and watch the one on the waterfront, which will start about 9:30 to 10:00 pm, or both of them will be on TV if it is too crowded to watch them without. I would say to go to either Myrtle Edwards or Gas Works Park (on Lake Union), but they are normally almost SRO by early afternoon.

Since you are going to the game on Saturday, you could leave early and do the Underground Tour in Pioneer Square on the way, and just walk the rest of the way to Safeco Field (less than a mile south down First Av). There is always the Space Needle, if you are into views from 60 stories up in the air (note, though, that if it is windy, the thing really sways a lot). Gray Line has a hop on/hop off double decker tour that runs continuously from fairly early in the morning to mid-evening and makes a number of stops at popular attractions (including the Space Needle and Pioneer Square) for a reasonable price. You can pick it up at the Westlake Center Mall at 5th & Pine (about four blocks from the Sheraton, which is at 7th & Pike). And, of course, you really shouldn't miss Pike Place Public Market, at 1st Av and Pike.

It's probably too early to book, but for a spectacular July 4th experience, I highly recommend one of Argosy Cruises' Lake Union fireworks tours. You start with a tour of Elliott Bay, go through the Chittenden Locks and into Lake Union, and anchor more or less directly under the fireworks show, with an unimaginable view. The Argosy boats are comfortable enough, there's a snackbar and bar bar on the boat, and it's not outrageously priced considering you're getting a great sightseeing trip before the fireworks even start. http://www.argosycruises.com.

We took my visiting old dad on this cruise a couple of years ago, thinking it would be kitschy, but we were knocked out - well worth it. You leave from the central waterfront (below the Pike Market) and end at a dock on Lake Union (not far from the "Sleepless" houseboat) then are bused back to the downtown dock.

I am not a big fan of the Underground Tour but I guess I can understand its appeal. If it was me on a first visit to our fair city, though, I'd walk from the Sheraton down to the Pike Market for a late lunch or nosh at some food stall, then down the hill to the Argosy pier, take the tour and end up back at the hotel pooped but happy, then the next day I'd get up early and head back to the market for breakfast, then make my way down to Pioneer Square and then to the International District/Chinatown for a late lunch, maybe some dim sum - or check out the wonderful Uwajimaya Japanese/pan-Asian supermarket and food court and play "name that vegetable" in the produce section or ogle the fish stalls. The ID/Chinatown is a short walk from Safeco Field.

You could also ask the Sheraton concierge about shuttles or group taxi rates back to the hotel after the ball game.

The only thing about the Argosy 4th of July cruise is that it sells out in about five minutes after they open the reservations, and it costs a fortune.... (worth the price, but a pretty good hit to the wallet if you are on a tight budget).

http://www.argosycruises.com/themecruises/#top

They only go through April right now, but should have July up very soon. If you are at all interested, you should check there frequently.

The only thing about the Argosy 4th of July cruise is that it sells out in about five minutes after they open the reservations, and it costs a fortune.... (worth the price, but a pretty good hit to the wallet if you are on a tight budget).

http://www.argosycruises.com/themecruises/#top

They only go through April right now, but should have July up very soon. If you are at all interested, you should check there frequently.

With respect, it didn't cost a fortune; we bought the "bare bones" cruise (snack bar service) rather then the dinner cruise. It was maybe 3 years ago, so I could be out of date, but I recall there were two price tiers when we did it, and it was under $100 per person. Skip the underground tour ($14) and the Space Needle ($16) both of which are unnecessary IMO, and it knocks the price down further.

I think that last year it was in the vicinity of $75.00 per person for the non-Royal Argosy (i.e. the non-dinner cruise) fireworks cruise. As for me, that is more than I would want to spend (of course, I also have the advantage that I leve less than four blocks from the south end of Lake Union, so I can walk down to the park and find a place on the grass and get just as good a view of the fireworks for free), but it is a matter for each to decide. (I would rather spend the money on the ship or in the ports). :)

Hello everyone, our family will be traveling (4 adults) on the Star Princess July 6-13, 2008 out of Seattle. We are flying into Seattle Friday July 4, in the early afternoon and we are needing some help on what to do that Friday and Saturday.

We are staying at the Sheraton downtown, and we wont have a rental car. How easy is it to get to things from there? I know we are going to go to a Mariners game Saturday night, but the rest of our time is open.

Also, what is the easiest way to get whichever port Princess will be leaving from?

Thanks so much for everyone's help.

My suggestion for the 4th of July is to walk from your hotel to the corner of 5th and Virginia and catch the Lake Union Street Car down to South Lake Union and grab a spot on the grass and watch the fireworks from there:p. One little secret you should really know about Seattle around that time of year is we have been known to get rain:( but hey the fireworks go on.

The Sheraton is located in the center of the downtown shopping area and if you like to walk you can easily get to Pioneer Square, Pike Place Market, the Seattle Center and even Safeco Field. Now some will say it is a long way, but hey if the weather is nice walking to any of these locations is not bad at all. If you don't care to walk then the bus is a great option, you do not need a rental car.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, especially the bus routes. That helps out so much!! Thanks so much Seattlecruiselover, and everyone else. I cannot wait for the trip, and to see your beautiful city of Seattle.

Archived