UAL New luggage Policy

pms4104

Know how you get on the plane (wondering why the line moved so slow), settled into your seat, and then watched with amusement the couple of pains in the a**es that were lugging that luggage up the aisle because they were too important to wait at baggage like the rest of us?

Well, guess what - now almost everybody is going to have a 40 lb carryon, to go along with the one bag that they checked. Good luck finding space in the overhead. And this move is going to save fuel??

I'm sure the other airlines will all be lined up behind them with a similar policy. That's what usually happens when the airlines change policies. Just happens it's United's "turn" to go first.

According to DFW news on channel 5, the other airlines are not following suit at this time. Maybe they will see what this does to United's business?:rolleyes:

Know how you get on the plane (wondering why the line moved so slow), settled into your seat, and then watched with amusement the couple of pains in the a**es that were lugging that luggage up the aisle because they were too important to wait at baggage like the rest of us?

Well, guess what - now almost everybody is going to have a 40 lb carryon, to go along with the one bag that they checked. Good luck finding space in the overhead. And this move is going to save fuel??

Not sure how much fuel they will save but they will generate revenue. How many people do you see getting out of the cab at the terminals, couples who have 6 or more bags for a one week vacation. They each "need" to have 2 check-ins each as well as a carry-on each. Oh, and don't forget the bag just to carry the shoes........

Not sure how much fuel they will save but they will generate revenue. How many people do you see getting out of the cab at the terminals, couples who have 6 or more bags for a one week vacation. They each "need" to have 2 check-ins each as well as a carry-on each. Oh, and don't forget the bag just to carry the shoes........

United is the largest airline at Denver International Airport. The airline estimates the additional baggage charge will generate more than $100 million a year for the airline, both from cost savings and new revenue.

WOW look at that number :eek: !!

Beginning on tickets purchased after Monday United Airlines will start charging all but Platinum members $25 to check a second bag.

Are you kidding me? What's next $20 for a seatbelt and $25 if you want that overhead mask or to use your seat cushin as a floatation device?

Ohh...I better not give Royal Caribbean any ideas or those life vests and seats on a lifeboat will start going for a premium.

You scared me for a minute, but good to read I still get my three bags at 70 Lbs each....that's a lot of cruise clothes :)

Before you jump with too much joy ... be aware that your policy may not be written in stone for much longer.

OMG ... 3 x 70! My husband and I did a 10-day with a total of 3 checked bags, each at or under 45 pounds, and we each had only one carryon under the airline size and weight limit plus a purse-type bag for me and a bistro bag with our lunch.

I understand, tho I might not like it, why the airlines are scurrying to generate revenue. But I believe that United's policy would make more sense if the airline were willing to enforce the carryon limits. This new thing just means more carryon crap and more time to board and de-board planes, to say nothing of longer waits at the security checkpoints. JMHO

cut back on shoes.

:eek: The humanity! :D

I have seen suitcases that are filled with just shoes.

Guilty one here! :eek: But it was shoes for 3 people for a 15 day cruise - and it was a small-ish. But then again, we usually drive to port and this hasn't been an issue. I am glad the two places we will be flying to are nice & tropical. Bathing suits & flip flops are pretty light. Guess if other lines follow suit, my husband's carry on will be a small rolling case with our snorkel gear in it. :p Of course, I could probably ship that little case to Hawaii for less than $25 and have it waiting for us when we get there. :D

What are they trying to do? Get rid of passengers all together!? How can folks take longer trips with only 50lbs per person? I mean, if my husband takes 2 pair of shoes in a suitcase, that's 8 lbs, right there! Add any liquids that you can't carry on the plane, plus the weight of the suitcase... you get the picture.

Well, I guess that would cut down on carbon emissions ;). Maybe they are trying to economise on fuel - encourage people to take less luggage = lighter loads = less fuel consumption.

It is quite possible to pack all you need in only one suitcase, no matter how long your vacation. Those of us who live "downunder" have to do it all the time. Baggage limitations restrict us to one suitcase, weighing not more than 20Kg. That's about 50 pounds.

And we still fly! And our flights to get anywhere often amount to more than 24 hours in the air!

Actually, it's quite liberating to only have one bag to worry about.

You see they are charging the extra to evryone EXCEPT First class and Frequent fliers. Picking on the little people again. The ones who can afford it don't have to ante up.

Frequent fliers know how to pack. Pack smarter, not more.

Based upon my last couple of flights, they should charge for the people who insist upon "carrying on" all of their stuff -- I'm so tired of having my flight delayed because a flight attendant is fighting with a pax whose bag doesn't fit in the cabin, or is wrestling the doors on the overhead compartments. It takes an extra half-hour to get off because these same yutzs are swimming like a salmon upstream to retrieve a bag they had to stow half-way back the plane from where they were seated. Or the yutz who beans you with their bag trying to wrestle it down. Just WAY too much hastle -- encourage people to check their luggage!

Based upon my last couple of flights, they should charge for the people who insist upon "carrying on" all of their stuff -- I'm so tired of having my flight delayed because a flight attendant is fighting with a pax whose bag doesn't fit in the cabin, or is wrestling the doors on the overhead compartments. It takes an extra half-hour to get off because these same yutzs are swimming like a salmon upstream to retrieve a bag they had to stow half-way back the plane from where they were seated. Or the yutz who beans you with their bag trying to wrestle it down. Just WAY too much hastle -- encourage people to check their luggage!

omg I feel the same way I hate these people, I never bring more than a small tote bag on a flight!

Well, I guess that would cut down on carbon emissions ;). Maybe they are trying to economise on fuel - encourage people to take less luggage = lighter loads = less fuel consumption.

It is quite possible to pack all you need in only one suitcase, no matter how long your vacation. Those of us who live "downunder" have to do it all the time. Baggage limitations restrict us to one suitcase, weighing not more than 20Kg. That's about 50 pounds.

And we still fly! And our flights to get anywhere often amount to more than 24 hours in the air!

Actually, it's quite liberating to only have one bag to worry about.

Unfortunately, we Americans are less likely to adjust and more likely to find ways to continue our profligate ways. When they can only check one bag, they will pack bigger and heavier carryons. :rolleyes:

I'm not defending United. I have no intentions to support their judgment.

But we all need to focus our attention on the greed of the oil companies.

Today, I paid $3.45 per gallon of diesel fuel, for my truck. :mad:

EVERYONE is paying more for fuel (of all kinds), these days. I'm a carpenter. I HAVE TO be up front with all the homeowners I do work for, when it comes to the cost of fuel. I HAVE TO charge more per hour (if the job is per hour) or charge a flat fee per day, if it's an estimated job.

EVERYONE is forced to do this.

United, for some reason, is choosing to not call it a fuel surcharge. Which in my opinion, is gonna' hurt them. They should just call it what it is, along with an explanation as to why they're doing it.

At least we aren't hearing about them doing it and going back on their contractual agreements like Royal Caribbean has done.

Unfortunately, we Americans are less likely to adjust and more likely to find ways to continue our profligate ways. When they can only check one bag, they will pack bigger and heavier carryons. :rolleyes:

Spoiled babies!:D

Well, since they are using weight of luggage to cut back on fuel consumption... are they going to start charging us by our own personal weight? Of course, my scrawny 14yo girl weighs much less than a grown man, so he caused more fuel to be used than my child... Are they going to start making us stand on a scale to be ticketed?

All in jest.... but you know, I wouldn't put it past them. :D

Did people abandon Princess when they began charging $3 for room service pizza? I doubt it. They complained about it alright, but did passengers really make a mass exodus away from Princess, and any other line who has increased their nickel-and-dime approach?

If you want room service, you gotta pay for it. If you want to check three bags, you gotta pay for it.

How many threads have you seen on the various cruise boards where people stated, time and time again, they only wore 50% of all the clothes they packed?

Maybe excess baggage charges will finally get people to only pack what they really need? :D :confused: :D

I haven't flown United in several years. Their fares from LAX to JFK have always been about $100 more than American, for no good reason that I can see. They talk about their "premier service," but I would still have to buy something to eat on a cross-country flight.

We've been travelleing with one checked 45 lb bag and 2 30-ish lbs bags as checked luggage. I think we'd be able to get rid of one of the small bags without too much difficulty.

According to DFW news on channel 5, the other airlines are not following suit at this time. Maybe they will see what this does to United's business?:rolleyes:

I'm not sure if anyone has brought this up yet but Spirit Airlines charges for ALL checked luggage now...the following was taken from their website:

Checked Baggage

Effective February 20, 2008 and beyond, our checked baggage fees are as follows: Fees for transporting the first two pieces will increase from $5.00 to $10.00 per bag if payment is made online in advance on www.spiritair.com. When paying at the airport fees will increase from $10.00 to $20.00 per item. Items that are overweight or oversized will continue to be weighed and sized at the Airport, and fees collected at check-In.

Spirit Airlines can only guarantee the transportation of one (1) item as checked luggage per fare-paying customer at the airport. Additional bags are accepted only when reserved in advance online at http://www.spiritair.com. If not reserved, Spirit cannot guarantee that there will be space for additional bags and will not be held responsible for any additional items brought to the airport by the customer.

Customers can pay for checked bags in the following ways:

ONLINE:

In Advance Online, up to one hour before flight departure, via Spirit’s web site:http://www.spiritair.com/Welcome.aspx?pg=bkgModManager&login=myreservation

• $10 each for the first two checked items, each way (Save 50% online)

• Space can be requested for up to five (5) bags per flight

• $100 for each additional bag (items 3 – 5) per person, each way (no discount).

AIRPORT:

Day of Departure at the airport ticket counter or at one of our kiosk locations (where available), or at a skycap position:

• $20 each for the first two (2) pieces of checked baggage within normal weight and size, each way (Starting February 20, 2008)

• $100 for each additional bag (items 3 - 5) per person, each way (space available)

This is going to become the norm. My boyfriend works for Delta and he said its only a matter of time before they are all doing it.:eek:

Before you jump with too much joy ... be aware that your policy may not be written in stone for much longer.

OMG ... 3 x 70! My husband and I did a 10-day with a total of 3 checked bags, each at or under 45 pounds, and we each had only one carryon under the airline size and weight limit plus a purse-type bag for me and a bistro bag with our lunch.

I've never actually packed that much, but after certain business trips to New York for 14 days, it's nice to know I have shoe weight :) I doubt they'll start taking away the Star Alliance Gold Benefits just yet.

When we did our three week Paris to Rome land trip last year, we flew easy jet from Paris to Nice, so we had to comply with the 20 K weight. Really wasn't a problem.

I agree. Here in NZ, unless flights are going through the US, our baggage allowance is one checked piece, weighing no more than 20Kg (50 pounds), a small purse/ camera bag and one carryon, size restricted, weighing a maximum of 7 Kg. There are people watching as you approach departure immigration. if they think your hand baggage looks too big or heavy, it can be weighed and you can be sent back to check it.

It's quite easy to pack within those limits - it just means careful thought, and not throwing in everything including the kitchen sink. We usually leave home with our checkin baggage weighing about 15 Kg, to allow for purchases while on holiday. last year, we travelled for 7 weeks, keeping within those luggage restrictions the whole time. We prefer it that way - cuts down on the nightmare of lugging several cases around.

Archived