Drinks....

5-5-07

5-5-07, The question I have to ask, is where do you plan on drinking the smuggled booze? I think if you ask most people, they drink their booze in their room while getting ready for dinner, or setting out on their balcony. I see nothing too wrong with bringing a bottle or two, to comsume in your stateroom, but I do think that taking a drink out of your room is a no no, and taking it out with you to the pool and making them poolside is a big no no. I am hoping that most will agree with me.

We "smuggled".

i put 1 bottle of Rum in a large ziploc [in case of breakage] and wrapped in clothing in my large "checked" bag.

DH also purchased some Vodka and put it in water bottles which we carried aboard.... had absolutely no problems. we found we brought too much. we were thinking our friends would like to share... but they didnt join us for cocktails. We ended up giving a 24oz water bottle full away to a gal we met.

DH and I enjoyed evening cocktails on our balcony... and he purchased one of those insulated bottles so he could enjoy his beverages during the day.

Yeah, but who really only drinks 2 or 3 per evening? Also, this statement doesn't factor in drinking in the morning and/or the afternoon. Many are already tanked by noon..

Well...I am on vacation...and I do drink. On vacation I drink alot more than I would any other time...especially if I coincide my vacation with my birthday. That being sad...yes 2 - 3 drinks in the early evening is quite possible..then maybe a nap and some late night fun...where a few more drinks are consumed. Oh yeah....don't forget the the mid day 2 or 3 drinks of the day on the Lido deck. hehe :p

We bought a bottle of wine (took three nights to drink it at dinner--not big drinkers) for $40 that costs $11.99 at the liquor store here. How is that worth it? I would just as soon drink water as pay such prices more than once; but to each his own.

Lou-Ann

We bought a bottle of wine (took three nights to drink it at dinner--not big drinkers) for $40 that costs $11.99 at the liquor store here. How is that worth it? I would just as soon drink water as pay such prices more than once; but to each his own.

I think a more valid comparison is how much that same bottle of wine would cost in a nice restaurant at home, not at the liquor store.

Yes, we are a captive audience in many respects onboard. Yes, there is quite a markup on wine, especially compared to liquor store prices. But to be honest, most of the prices I've seen for cocktails and beer onboard have been comparable with non-happy hour prices at home -- and it's not like I live in a fancy cosmopolitan area! :)

"I think a more valid comparison is how much that same bottle of wine would cost in a nice restaurant at home, not at the liquor store."

Absolutely correct!

That said, I think the current policies of all cruise lines re liquor are silly. Of course I realize that they make their money by selling us booze , but they should sell us booze by the bottle at a substantial markup, and allow us to make our own drinks in our rooms if we prefer. That's the way is used to be not too many years ago. :)

Just don't forget to tip...just because you bring your own liquor does not mean the staff should suffer for it. Their only pay is that 15% tip they put on drinks. So while you are looking out for your own wallet, don't forget the people who work extremely hard to make it a nice vacation for you.

Well...I am on vacation...and I do drink. On vacation I drink alot more than I would any other time...especially if I coincide my vacation with my birthday. That being sad...yes 2 - 3 drinks in the early evening is quite possible..then maybe a nap and some late night fun...where a few more drinks are consumed. Oh yeah....don't forget the the mid day 2 or 3 drinks of the day on the Lido deck. hehe :p

Yes...the main reason I think people bring their own is that when you're at home you typically don't go out every night of the week and buy drinks. Most people that like to drink usually will drink daily on a cruise and it will add up in a hurry. To me every day of a cruise is like a Saturday night so to have a few extra bottles to me is not a big deal.

5-5-07, The question I have to ask, is where do you plan on drinking the smuggled booze? I think if you ask most people, they drink their booze in their room while getting ready for dinner, or setting out on their balcony. I see nothing too wrong with bringing a bottle or two, to comsume in your stateroom, but I do think that taking a drink out of your room is a no no, and taking it out with you to the pool and making them poolside is a big no no. I am hoping that most will agree with me.

We were just planning to take a bottle to have in our room before dinner while getting ready. My DH and I are drinkers when we go on vacation so I am sure I am going to have a nice bill for alcohol at the end of the cruise. I don't know why everyone gets so upset about this issue. If we want to have a few drinks on our balcony before dinner without having to leave the room we should be able to. I am not interested in carrying a flask or running back to my room to make a drink. While at the pool I will buy drinks at the pool bar.

For those of you who say "smuggling" your own alcohol is taking money away from the people that work very hard for us on the boat. I understand they work hard and I have no intentions of taking any money away from them. I have already pre-paid all of my tips and will tip on top of that for exceptional service. On top of that I will be paying 15% on all alcohol beverages that I purchase which I am sure will give them at least an additional 100- 150 dollars. So I will NOT taking any money from anyone by taking a bottle for a few drinks in my room.

Thank you for all of your opinions.

I don't mean to contradict the above poster but the drinks are expensive, at least in my experience.

I went to a martini party where standard martinis were 1/2 price. $6.50 is half price? I have paid $8 for a glass of wine that I buy at home for $12 per bottle.

Some cruise lines have a 'Bar Set-Up' that you might look into. You buy bottles of liqour from the line at $45 or so and they have it in your cabin when you arrive.

Or you can try to smuggle it like many do. Vodka, gin or white rum in a water bottle?

We just got back from an RCCL vacation. I bought a Platapus from a local capming store. It's like an I.V. bag with a lid. It holds 2 liters of liquid.

Pack it seal it drink from it.

Cocktail in your cabin. Still had a bar tab. Not as much though.

Archived