Baby on Voyager Class ship

Konstancin

This is a family cruise for us, and no one gets left behind. Besides, grandma can't babysit, because I am grandma - the cruise planner. So, what advise do those who cruise with their little ones have for our first post baby cruise? My daughter and her husband will be taking an 11 month old. How do they make room for a baby in a cabin? They won't be springing for a suite, I'm sure. Can the cruise ship provide a crib or do they need to bring the "Pack and Play"? When taking taxi's, etc. at ports, what about safety? Do they need to bring a car seat from home as well? They will be flying, so they can only take so much! How do people do this? (crib, car seat, stroller, high chair???)

Gosh...kids are so fortunate these days...Why I remember..No No No...I won't go there..

Bring the little one, but, and I don't want to sound like a cranky 48 year old, but please don't let the baby cry in public spaces. While I know its a natural baby thing, If the kid's cranky, hold him, or move him out....

Also, again from the cranky standpoint, if my room is right next to the room with a crying infant, it may annoy me..so think of the neighbors.

Anyway, If you don't have a seasoned, full service travel agent, perhaps now would be the time to get one. You need lots of good advice that a TA might provide.

Good Luck....Boy that 11 month old will have great memories for a lifetime.

Sorry, I know I said I wouldn't go there.......

You can have them reserve you a "pack and play" ahead of time thru your TA. As far as a car seat for in taxis, I have never seen one used as I imagine the driver will not like it too much as you take the time to install the seat properly. Make sure the seat is easily installed on a vehicle that may not have all of the US required tiedown points.

rofl, why do people keep doing this. The baby could care less about the cruise and the parents are never able to fully enjoy the cruise with the little boat anchor in tow. Conncruise you are so right.

Not the first time I have seen this first hand. But I know you will not change your mind, so good luck.

Well I travel with my daughter everywhere. She came with us on a cruise at 4 months. I brought our own pack n play and she gets her own seat on the plane so her car seat comes with her too. We will be sailing again in November so it must not have been that bad for us the first time. No, I didn't get to sit and watch the shows, but I'm not a big fan of them anyway. I've been on enough cruises so I know what I'm missing. My child does not scream so that isn't an issue for our "neighbors". As long as my husband and I are around she is happy - even at night. So what if she can't get in the little pools on the ship? We'll take her to the beach in port. I don't appreciate the little comments above bascially saying children aren't welcome on the ship. She is part of the family and when we go on vacation we go as a family. She'll grow up and be gone one day and if I want to be grouchy and stay away from kids on cruises I'll take a trip on Crystal or Radisson where there are few children if any on board.

And no, she won't remember this trip, but my husband and I will and she will have a good time spending time with her parents. We don't have to be a bunch of drunk idiots staying out all night to have fun either - we're just happy to be somewhere where someone else is doing the dishes.

"My child does not scream so that isn't an issue for our 'neighbors'".

As a mother of five, I can ASSURE you that ALL children scream at one time or another! Just be prepared if screaming DOES become an issue.

BTW - I'm not a "drunken idiot who stays out all night" when I'm on a cruise.

I think the questions asked by the OP were not for opinions of cruising with babies. She was asking for advice on all the various equipment that babies require, such as car seat, crib, stroller, etc. Has anyone cruised with a baby that can tell her about that?

I mentioned in my post that I brought our pack n play - they had one for us to use but I preferred my own. We drove to the port last time and left the car seat in the car. We didn't do any excursions and just walked around the town with her in her stroller. On our next cruise we will have her carseat as we are flying to the port and we have purchased a seat for her. I don't think most taxis in the Caribbean have seat belts and I know how wild the taxi drivers are... we will just avoid them this time. Some people are comfortable with their child in their lap. We will use the cruise lines high chair, bring plenty of diapers and wipes and she will eat just about anything so we won't bring any of our own food. When you fly, you can use the stoller until you get to the gate and then it will be checked and waiting for you when you get off of the plane.

My five were "well-behaved", too. Some of the time. Definitely not all of the time, which is more of the "reality"! No such thing as a "well-behaved" child 100% of the time!

Don't forget "comfort" items like blankie, pillow, stuffed animal, etc. Bring your own sippy cups. Bring baby hats and PLENTY of baby sun-block. Bring baby aspirin. Bring Woolite to hand-wash small baby items like clothes, bibs, socks, etc. Bring a portable clothes line to hang across the shower. Bring small cans of juices. Take plenty of water on shore, as babies get dehydrated easily. Bring Pedialyte in case of the dreaded "D". Bring plastic ziplocks to hold dry cereal and finger foods. BUY TRIP INSURANCE!!! Hope this helps.

I agree with most. WHY WOULD YOU BRING IN INFANT. The crying annoys almost every other on board.

Even you woudnt get the full cruise experiance. ON the Radaince even one of the performers stopped the show and asked the parents to leave with the crying infant! EVERYONE CHEERED!

Please just respect other people. If you do bring the infant and it starts to cry/scream, please return to your stateroom!

The baby could care less about the cruise and the parents are never able to fully enjoy the cruise with the little boat anchor in tow.
Perhaps, though some parents are unable sufficiently calm their minds on vacation unless they have their baby with them, despite how much adverse impact the baby may have on their ability to enjoy the cruise as a childess couple might.

Y'know, they say a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. I suspect that the logic that applies here, for many fervant cruise enthusiasts, is, "A bad day on a cruising vacation is better than a good day doing practically anything else."

I think the questions asked by the OP were not for opinions of cruising with babies. She was asking for advice on all the various equipment that babies require, such as car seat, crib, stroller, etc.
It is very interesting how discussions threads gain a life of their own, growing and expanding to fully encompass the issue raised. For folks who prefer to have greater control over the response they get to their inquiries, there are many services online for asking a specific question and getting a specific answer from a rated expert. I, myself, volunteer on one such site, helping folks with specific questions about Walt Disney World vacations. That's a much more likely scenario for achieving that kind of control over the kind of replies you get.

When my eldest was little he traveled everywhere with me and it was never a problem for anyone.. he was a happy baby (I am not exaclty sure what happened because we now call him the Teenager in Training, sullen, moody.. sigh : ) and a joy to most of the people around him. On one flight a man got really nasty and made a crack aboug moving away from our crying baby but he had just sat down and my son was not crying (he was also almost 18 months at that point). He switched seats and my son never made a peep.. My middle two.. well I know I cannot travel as easily with them.

Just bring stuff for the baby to do. Bring a lot of diapers and formula if you use it becaue they are hard to come by while cruising. The Pack and Play is a pain in the arse but worth it to haul along..

Most of the time people will be very kind to you and understanding.. Some people will assume you are trying to ruin their vacation but they are probably not going to be happy if ANY child is on the ship with them. For the most part people get that babies cry and they do not cry forever. Most parents do not want their kids crying anymore than anyone else does!!!!!

Thanks for the constructive advise and I welcome any 0ther tips. No one need fear this baby being on board, or the concientiousness of his parents. We've had people comment in restaurants that he must be mechanical because he never cries. And my daughter is very quick to tend to him on the rare occasions he does. We hate crying babies just like everyone else, and we have the same complaints.

Has anyone used babysitting services on Explorer, or kno what their policies are?

Yes, you will get plenty of attention from the staff! Our twins were three when we were on the Voyager last October and our waiter had not seen his toddler son in five months. So believe me, Joey and Madeleine did not lack for anything!

There were a couple of families with smaller kids, and they all seemed to be doing fine. It was nice, because the babies were travelling with extended family.

Advice? Bring an umbrella stroller, easy to fold up. I'd also bring my own pack and play, but that's just me. I travelled with two of them for a long time, and it was no big deal. Maybe a little umbrella for the beach - kids love to play in the sand! Remember that the baby cannot go in any pool. Some people had a little inflatable pool last year and their baby loved splashing around in it. Bring baby tylenol, etc. Bibsters (paper towel bibs from Pampers) are easy, just toss them when dirty.

Have fun!!!

Barbara

Congrats, Nancy! You're only one behind me!! I'm told that my progress in the Cuckoo's Nest Asylum has been coming along nicely during the last 20 years. I'm officially released twice a year for cruising purposes, and I don't mind the straight-jacket at all! I don't even mind the funny looks!

Archived