Miniture medals

Brit and proud

What is the rule of thumb for wearing of medals...(miniture) i dont mean your boy scout type or ones issued for crossing the atlantic.. ;) ..but ones officially issued.

Brian

Fine in the Regimental Mess. Or at an Armistice Day parade. Otherwise I'd say not.

Matthew

I have only seen medals being worn once. The person wearing them was a US Marine in full dress uniform. They looked the part on him. On a normal tux? Possibly not, I have certainly never seen it on the 6 occasions I have travelled on the queens.

I only saw one guy wearing a medal on the QE2 and he caused me considerable confusion because I couldn't work out what it was. Eventually, curiosity got the better of me and I asked him. Turned out to be the Fire Brigade Long Service and Good Conduct Medal which could explain why I'd never seen it before.

I have a feeling that miniatures are only supposed to be worn with white tie. However, why not wear your mess kit for formal nights? I'm planning to wear mine if the diet is successful and I can actually get my kilt to stretch round my midrif again.

J

Thanks for that folks, you managed to answer an argument with my friend...who ststed you could...

I have 1 or 2 medals from my 15 years service and have no intention of taking them out of the display case (except for November & Military get to gethers)

Cheers

Brian

I have 1 or 2 medals from my 15 years service

Brian,

sorry if I'm being nosey (it's one of the few things I'm good at :) ), but what were you in?

Just wondered if there's any chance our paths might have crossed.

Jimmy

No Probs at all

I was in the Corp of Royal Engineers and left on 15 years service, i took the offered redundancy in 1994 and left as a SGT. but i had the duty carrot in front of the nose with a promise of SSGT / SSM if i stayed....tough luck i all ready had a job offer, better pay and conditions etc...my last post was the C.T.S.W. in Kent

Brian

I was in the Corp of Royal Engineers and left on 15 years service, i took the offered redundancy in 1994 and left as a SGT. but i had the duty carrot in front of the nose with a promise of SSGT / SSM if i stayed....tough luck i all ready had a job offer, better pay and conditions etc...my last post was the C.T.S.W. in Kent

Hi Brian,

Presumably CTSW was in Chattenden when you were there. Did you ever come across any Argylls in your time. I was A and SH from 1972 till leaving as a WO1 after 23 years in 1995. The large scale redundancies and amalgamations in 1994 actually helped to extend my service for an extra year as I got involved in the administrative side of the drawdown. After I left the regular army I dropped a rank and went straight into the TA for another four years, finally leaving when the TA got restructured in 1999.

Jimmy

However, why not wear your mess kit for formal nights? I'm planning to wear mine if the diet is successful and I can actually get my kilt to stretch round my midrif again.

J

Jimmy,

It would be MUCH more exciting for me if it DIDN'T quite stretch far enough! :eek::D:p

Karie

Ah, WO 1. Cruachan. You spent many years in a famous Scottish regiment. Was there any truth in the rumour that Idi Amin was once a colour sergeant in the Black Watch ?

Sadly Foxy, no truth at all.

He only made it to Corporal. Even the "Forty an' Twa" preferred their Senior NCOs to be (at least superficially) sane.

On a serious note, though, I was privileged to work with Col Sandy Ward (ex Argylls and, sadly, now deceased) who, when I met him, was finishing off his long military career in the Zimbabwe National Army. As a Major in the Kings Afircan Rifles he had had "The Last King of Scotland" as one of his platoon sergeants. He reckoned he was an excellent shot with the Bren. More to the point though, Col Sandy was almost certainly the man who introduced Idi to his trade mark Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders glengarry.

Jimmy

Jimmy,

It would be MUCH more exciting for me if it DIDN'T quite stretch far enough! :eek::D:p

Ah Karie,

I guess you must be thinking about the light-weight, split-sided kilt issued for wear in hot climates. "Kilt, Highland, tropical" as it is known in the British Army.

Jimmy

..... Col Sandy was almost certainly the man who introduced Idi (Amin) to his trade mark Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders glengarry.....

That's interesting. It's a pity he didn't introduce Idi to the art of contraception. He's reputed to have sired 43 children, and some of them were given Scottish names. No wonder he favoured the kilt ... some sort of quick release ?

Foxy

That's interesting. It's a pity he didn't introduce Idi to the art of contraception. He's reputed to have sired 43 children, and some of them were given Scottish names. No wonder he favoured the kilt ... some sort of quick release ?

Foxy

Like Idi A. Abercrombie, Jr. or Angus Amin?

I would imagine the kilt just stayed on, but we'll have to ask lads in the know how it might work.:D

Lovelies, over to you...

Hi Brian,

Presumably CTSW was in Chattenden when you were there. Did you ever come across any Argylls in your time. I was A and SH from 1972 till leaving as a WO1 after 23 years in 1995. The large scale redundancies and amalgamations in 1994 actually helped to extend my service for an extra year as I got involved in the administrative side of the drawdown. After I left the regular army I dropped a rank and went straight into the TA for another four years, finally leaving when the TA got restructured in 1999.

Jimmy

Yep i was in Chattenden...great for trips to France but nightmare for travelling up North, spent most of my 3 years on the road visiting and teaching what they teach at the C.T.S.W.

Yes i had the pleasure (not sure i can call it that) of having 4 A & SH (Bolton Wanderas ;) )& 4 Black Watch for 1 of my pre Ireland training phases...Sadists comes to mind, but with out their commitment we would have returned with less than we took...

Brian

Not an authority on British uniform regulations, but it is perfectly appropriate to wear miniture medals across the left lapel of a tuxedo jacket for U.S. military.

Cunarders aren't warships. So military rules are not relevant.

Another point. Imagine a military man wearing a Iraq campaign medal - the ones that just say that you were there, rather than you did something extra specially brave/stupid in the way indicated by a Victoria Cross - and someone asks what it is for. Then asks if he is proud to have been there.

The likelihood is that the poor Maitre'D has to rearrange his tables.

Sometimes discretion is the better part of valour!

Matthew

I was not only honoured to be seated with British gentlemen wearing miniature medals but also once with a lady wearing a diamond order. At these occasions the wearing was well received by fellow guests.

Now I have of course no knowledge about the rules concerning the various British orders and decorations but if an official decoration is allowed, or even supposed, to be presented in public, a formal night on a Cunard ship seems quite an appropriate place. (As long as it is a true formal night not a masquerade or other costume party.)

It is acceptable to wear military, civil and organizational decorations at state functions, formal events of State or other sovereign organizations, providing the invitation states "White Tie, Decorations" or "Black Tie, Decorations" or some derivation thereof.

The miniature badges of orders, decorations and medals should be worn suspended from a medal bar attached to the left lapel of the coat. Only one full-size neck badge should be worn, suspended from a miniature-width ribbon. The ribbon is worn under the band of the tie so that the badge hangs 2.5 cm below the tie. A miniature of this badge should be included in those worn from the medal bar.

Only one star of order may be worn on the left side of the coat.

Nowhere in its documentation does Cunard specify "Black Tie, Decorations"...

M-L

I was not only honoured to be seated with British gentlemen wearing miniature medals but also once with a lady wearing a diamond order. At these occasions the wearing was well received by fellow guests.

Now I have of course no knowledge about the rules concerning the various British orders and decorations but if an official decoration is allowed, or even supposed, to be presented in public, a formal night on a Cunard ship seems quite an appropriate place. (As long as it is a true formal night not a masquerade or other costume party.)

Sir,

Because it may be allowed, does not make it appropriate. If the wearer feels comfortable and is aware that it may give rise to both pleasant and unpleasant conversation, they should by all means wear military, civil, or any other manner of medals. I for one will not be wearing my collegiate honors pin (official and for public wear) nor shall my mate be wearing his Eagle Scout emblem (also official and for public wear) since we will be neither in an academic setting nor at a jamboree or parade.;) But, again, if it makes the wearer happy, then feel free. :)

Cunarders aren't warships. So military rules are not relevant.

Another point. Imagine a military man wearing a Iraq campaign medal - the ones that just say that you were there, rather than you did something extra specially brave/stupid in the way indicated by a Victoria Cross - and someone asks what it is for. Then asks if he is proud to have been there.

The likelihood is that the poor Maitre'D has to rearrange his tables.

Sometimes discretion is the better part of valour!

Matthew

I'm not sure what points you are trying to make here.

Military uniform rules, with respect to the wearing of medals, apply to every circumstance whether aboard a cruise ship, at a formal wedding reception or opening night at the opera.

I accept the premise that military decorations in combat are given for heroic acts. I suppose one person's vision of bravery is another person's vision of stupidity. My vision of stupidity is criticizing those young men and women in uniform rather than the policy makers who have placed them in harms way.

I'm not sure what points you are trying to make here.

Military uniform rules, with respect to the wearing of medals, apply to every circumstance whether aboard a cruise ship, at a formal wedding reception or opening night at the opera.

I accept the premise that military decorations in combat are given for heroic acts. I suppose one person's vision of bravery is another person's vision of stupidity. My vision of stupidity is criticizing those young men and women in uniform rather than the policy makers who have placed them in harms way.

Are you seriously suggesting that medals are worn to the opera? In all my opera going (which includes, but is not limited to, The Metropolitan, Covent Garden and the Wiener Staatsoper) I've never seen anyone wearing medals......

I'm surprised that you read into what I said that I was criticising the individual soldiers/sailors. Merely that the fact of the theatre in which they served might not make for comfortable dinner table conversation. After all, if the soldier concerned didn't approve of the campaign, he'd hardly wear the medal......

Matthew

It is acceptable to wear military, civil and organizational decorations at state functions, formal events of State or other sovereign organizations, providing the invitation states "White Tie, Decorations" or "Black Tie, Decorations" or some derivation thereof.

The miniature badges of orders, decorations and medals should be worn suspended from a medal bar attached to the left lapel of the coat. Only one full-size neck badge should be worn, suspended from a miniature-width ribbon. The ribbon is worn under the band of the tie so that the badge hangs 2.5 cm below the tie. A miniature of this badge should be included in those worn from the medal bar.

Only one star of order may be worn on the left side of the coat.

Nowhere in its documentation does Cunard specify "Black Tie, Decorations"...

M-L

So M-L,

Are you saying that all of those long-time HAL cruisers cannot wear those big clunky heavy medals (You should see the folks with Osteoporosis wering them- don't get near the railing!) all at once on formal nights?

Aw heck.

Just as well. Our next HAL trip would be a medallion trip.

Archived