Several Important ???'s Kids/Special Needs

I am planning our trip on the Triumph for Oct 12. I have some questions that I hope someone can help with. I would have posted these on the Family and Disabled boards but they don't see as much traffic and most of the disability posters are adults, with different issues than my son so here goes..(praying hosts don't move my post)

1. Has anyone ever been able to do an alternative muster(?) Our DS8 has autism and the waiting and loud boat horn blast are excruciating to him as well as to our DS5 who has Sensory Intergration Disorder. (FYI - asking a child with autism to wait (in line or in one area) is like asking someone in a wheelchair to stand up and walk..it has nothing to do with manners they just cannot comprehend it and it overloads their system). I would like to avoid a bad beginning of our trip.

2. We have our new baby daughter joining us on the cruise and she will be 13 months old at the time of sailing. I plan on bringing her food with me, is there a way for me to heat up these items without putting out members of the staff? What is the best way to handle it? I know that bringing food off the ship is a no-no. Does that go for sealed baby food/juice as well?

Any additional advice anyone has about our situation would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Hi, as far as the muster, I would contact your TA and have them find out from Carnival or call Carnival Customer Care yourself as I do not know what they could and could not approve...

For the food items, sometimes it worked to have them in baggies and run under hot water. Don't know what items in particular you mean, but if that is not good let your steward know what you need and see if you can get some accomodation there.

Not much help, just thinking our loud..

Good luck, I am sure you will find them ready to assist.

Eva

If it's jars you are trying to warm you can get hot water from the tap at the beverage center on the lido deck - or through room service by ordering tea. You can use a bowl for the water and warm it up.

As far as the other I would conatct Carnival Guest Relations and explain the situation. You didn't say how old your children are? Are you planning to keep the kids with you all the time or are you planning some camp time? Camp Carnival staff were wonderful with my son who has PDD (Pervasive Developemental Disorder). You can ask for a beeper and they will probably be glad you did. Also - even if they are older be sure to ask for the muster braclets. This will ensure that if the kids are at camp or you get seperated they will be taken to the correct muster point (God forbid).

Give more details and maybe we can help some more. I know we have others on the Carnival board with special needs kids.

I have never cruised with an infant but I'm sure if you bring the jars with you to dinner your waiter will be more than happy to heat them up for you. Just be sure to double check it. They may not be accustom to heating baby food and it may have hot spots. If not the hot water in the bowl trick does work.

I don’t know about the muster drill but that is a good point that I will have to ask my sil about.

She has a special need child that also doesn’t do well in lines. So my sil has made arrangements through Carnival for all of us total 9 to bypass the long boarding line and use some other door or way onboard that is used for guest with special needs. You should call Carnival and explain the saturation to them.

I have seen guest that even have minor issues with stairs be allowed to us the elevators during muster drill. So I would bet that something could be done.

Kevin

Dreams,

Wow you are one brave lady taking three kids under 10 on a cruise. (lucky as they are!) I am a teacher and have a lot of experience with kids on the autism scale and kids with sensory issues. Here is my question: And I am not being flippant at all, but have you ever been on a cruise? Talk about sensory overload. The entire ship is crazy huge, lit up, people everywhere, loud noises a lot. If you think they can't handle the muster drill, keep in mind that there will be lines everywhere and loud noises in a lot of places. I just don't want you going in and be disappointed in your vacation. I hope and pray your kids do well with it and Carnival helps you out with all of your needs! BTW, the 13 month old just doesnt like cold food? There are lots of other options on the buffet and in the dining room. I wouldn't think you would need to worry too much about that. Good luck!

Dreams,

Here is my question: And I am not being flippant at all, but have you ever been on a cruise? Talk about sensory overload. The entire ship is crazy huge, lit up, people everywhere, loud noises a lot. If you think they can't handle the muster drill, keep in mind that there will be lines everywhere and loud noises in a lot of places.

Actually I didn't find it flippant at all, I greatly appreciate it when people ask, the more they know, the more they understand what kids with autism (ASD) go through.

This cruise will actually be the boys second cruise. They loved the 1st one so much (on the Carribean Princess last year) that we decided to go again! We did have some issues with the muster which was why I asked (now that we are on a different cruiseline) if anyone had any experience with it. We are very blessed to have children with ASD that are high functioning and LOVE to travel.

Carnival is very accomondating to peoples needs, just give them a call a head of time. The sooner you call the better. I would also call them back a few/couple days before the cruise to double check everything.....just in case.

Actually I didn't find it flippant at all, I greatly appreciate it when people ask, the more they know, the more they understand what kids with autism (ASD) go through.

This cruise will actually be the boys second cruise. They loved the 1st one so much (on the Carribean Princess last year) that we decided to go again! We did have some issues with the muster which was why I asked (now that we are on a different cruiseline) if anyone had any experience with it. We are very blessed to have children with ASD that are high functioning and LOVE to travel.

Oh good I am glad you didnt think that. Sometimes things can be taken out of context in bb's. I am glad you kids love traveling that is great. The only thing I would think you would have to do it make sure everything is taken care of up front. Like you are trying to do now. Call your TA and have them take care of things for you. It should not be a problem doing an alternative muster drill...I wouldn't think!

BTW I hope you love Carnival...and the Triumph is great!

Oh good I am glad you didnt think that. Sometimes things can be taken out of context in bb's. I am glad you kids love traveling that is great. The only thing I would think you would have to do it make sure everything is taken care of up front. Like you are trying to do now. Call your TA and have them take care of things for you. It should not be a problem doing an alternative muster drill...I wouldn't think!

BTW I hope you love Carnival...and the Triumph is great!

Besides contacting Carnival's Guest Access Services Department (Ext. 70025) I would also go immediatley upon boarding to the Purser's Desk and explain the situation. I would hope that you could stay in your cabin and be accounted for there, since they send crew to check every cabin to make sure no one is "hiding" out from the drill. The kids will need to get their wrist bands which identify their muster station to them and anyone attempting to help them incase of a real emergency, maybe you can also get those but on them early, since they are usually put on the kids during the Muster Drill.

Check this out with Carnival first and aks for their response in writting if they say yes, then make sure to take a copy with you to the Purser's Desk and keep a copy handy during the drill to show to the steward who will open your door and argue with you at first about being there.

My Mom uses a wheelchair and so we are always told to head up for the drill at least 15 minutes before, and are usually released before the end of the drill to make it to the elevators without getting trampled. My DD is Downs Syndrome and luckily unlike most of her friends the loud noises and crowds don't bug her.

Again as someone else said ..................... just thinking out loud.

Hi as a mother of a 9 Yo Asperger child ( who is going on his 6th cruise this week ) i can try to help you. 1st off the pursers is not a help for this at all ( not in a bad way just I wouldnt waste my time dealing with them ,esp on the 1st day the line is soooolong:) On Carnival the Muster is USUALLy held in a lounge area not outside on the deck. When it is like that we arrive early and get a small seating area off to the side , usually by a window . My son hates the crowds and the noise of the horn. They will talk to you in there and go over everything. If he wont/doesnt like wearing his vest just let the person doing the drill by you know and they will not have ANY problem with him not wearing it. If you are out on deck we usually talk to one of the crew and explain our situation, they will let you wait and stand in the very front of the line or to the far side no problem. If you are outside make sure to cover your little ones ears at it is VERY loud when they blast the horn over and over . When it is over we stand to the side and let the HERD pass before we try to leave so people are crowding him. I called the special # the 1st time and it didnt do anything helpful so I dont bother anymore. If you have any other ? feel free to ask :)

I to have a 15yr son that has Sensory Intergration Disorder and we booked him on our cruise for this weekend. However he decided he didnt want to go. Which was fine. I am not sure if it was the unknown(would have been his 1st cruise) or if it was because of the water. He did say he didnt know how to handle getting upset or overloaded on the ship--as it was a new enviroment. He doesnt handle change well. We let him decide--as he knows himself the best and if totally uncomfortable---them we understand. My son had a hard time in Kindergareten with the fire drill, but has since growed up and now it doesnt both him. You can be happy to know that sensory does get better with age on some things. However when they get to teenagers--its a whole new world. Like the above replys--ck with Carnival first--as the pursers line can be pretty long to stand in and that in itself can be a pain. Good luck and let me know how it goes. I hope our son will someday decide to venture out a little more and go with us. Best Wishes.

On the Glory and Legend the drills were held outside on the decks, hot, crowded and uncomfortable. Loud too, but maybe they can make sure your out last and in first. I'm sure they will help you with this, they are really very good. Cheers, Carole

:cool: :cool: I admire all of the parents with children with disabilities who take them on vacation to make things normal for them and let them enjoy a wonderful time. My question is, and I hope you are not offended, because I just don't know or understand, what would happen if there was a real emergency where horns are going and crowds occur. Would they be okay and more so would you be okay. I am so very fortunate not to have to face this but you do. Is there anything that we can do as individuals to help you or your children or is it best for us to just stay clear. I am never sure if I should offer or just stay away. Thanks:cool: :cool:

you people are the best. I have nothing to offer in the way of advice, but wanted to let everyone that responded know I think it's great that you are trying to help. I am very blessed that my daughter, who has cruised since she was 4, never had these issues. She is now the proud mother of her own little girl, who I hope to take on a cruise in a couple of years. Bless you all.

Candi

:cool: :cool: I admire all of the parents with children with disabilities who take them on vacation to make things normal for them and let them enjoy a wonderful time. My question is, and I hope you are not offended, because I just don't know or understand, what would happen if there was a real emergency where horns are going and crowds occur. Would they be okay and more so would you be okay. I am so very fortunate not to have to face this but you do. Is there anything that we can do as individuals to help you or your children or is it best for us to just stay clear. I am never sure if I should offer or just stay away. Thanks

HI Thanks! My son is "high functioning" but has has issues/moments. He is very impulsive, has Sensory issues etc. If it came down to a reall emergancy I know my son would freak out if someone he didnt know tried to pick him up etc, but if you offerered a kind smile and asked if it was ok to hold his hand to help etc he would react more positivly. My best advice is not to immediatly think oh there is a spoiled kid throwing a fit, brat etc as sometimes there is more to the picture. My son has his good days and days "were he is on " full blast where nothing goes right, He is sooo sensitive and the littlest thing can get him going. Sometimes the best way to deal with a situation is not exactly ignoring ( and no I dont let him spoil other peoples vacation :) but but minimizing the situation it helps him to learn better coping skills. I know at school he goes to a social worker 1x a week to work with impulsivness and anger managment. He LOVES Camp Carnival and aside from bumping him down an age group and not letting him got to the shows ( too loud and crowded for him ) he does all the normal CC activities. If you say him you would prob just think he was a bit tired and active 9 yo. That is very nice of you to consider parents and children like this. It is hard to have a child with a not so outwardly apparant disorder :) People ask all the time how I deal with it ( my hubby travels most weeks until Fri) Hes my son , he has always been that way so I grew up with him learning how to adapt :0 ) And cruising helps keep me sane :)

you people are the best. I have nothing to offer in the way of advice, but wanted to let everyone that responded know I think it's great that you are trying to help. I am very blessed that my daughter, who has cruised since she was 4, never had these issues. She is now the proud mother of her own little girl, who I hope to take on a cruise in a couple of years. Bless you all.

Candi

You are so sweet! Every so ofter I have a pity party thinking why us, iate right , dont smoke drink etc. We eat mostly Organic etc but then I watch something like on TLC tonight about the "man without a face" with the huge tumor all over so he cant see and his mouth is so huge and think thank god for giving me this . We have our good and bad days for sure. Last night my son barely slept ( has a weather obsession) and then got sick ( not related ) so we were up until about 4 am off and on so today was rough, both of us were crabby and tired, so we had Movie night, we watched transformers had take out sandwiches and had a good time until he had a meltdown so he was off to bed early. We do have to get up early tomrrow to finish the last of his math but he needed to sleep and I needed some alone time ( well I had two cats on my lap keeping me warm) 2 days till we leave for Florida and cruise #6. Hope the counslers are good with him ( havent had an issue yet)

We are lucky in that our children are very good travelers despite their disabilities, they do sometimes have great difficulty with certain situations but over the years we have learned how to help them cope and bring them back to a good place. The good that comes from their travels far out weighs the small hurdles we potientially face. We all have hurdles and our children have to learn to cope with them as best as we can help them too. I do not want to shut my children away from the world simply because they are differently abled.

I try and educate people as much as possible about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and it's effects. It is an invisible disorder as many children/adults who have it don't have tell tale signs like those who have a physical or mental disorder. Autism is neurological. Autism does not rob them of intellegence, it just locks them in a world of their own, that very often parents, family, friends and the rest of the world are not a part of. Now that I am a parent of 2 such children I see so much more than I used to. The child throwing a temper tantrum may a child who has ASD and is reacting to their over stimulus. I know that alot of people have a tendency to feel bad for parents who have special needs children but don't feel bad for me. It is all I have ever known (not having a "typical" child and besides who defines what is typical) and I get to experience things that most people take for granted, like how precious a first word can be, when that first word comes when your child is 5. The absolute joy on my sons face when he met Jack Sparrow at Disney (a wonderful moment that Disney arranged for us) and how he talked to me and his father about it for the rest of the day (something that has not happened again since - back and forth conversations are rare). I am blessed and honored to be their mother.

I am so grateful for all of the responses and even more grateful to the Hosts for not moving this. There are so many parents out there who are struggling, thinking, "Oh I could never get my ASD kid on a cruise". I want them to know that they can and that they will have a great time. Our boys actually ended up wanting to spend more time in the Kids club then with us and actually gave us time alone (which we never get).

I will let everyone know what the special needs department says tomorrow!

Thanks again

I'm sorry I don't have any answers for you. But, I came across this a few months ago while we were planning our cruise this summer. It was one of the ships/itineraries we were considering. http://www.alumnicruises.org/Autism/Autism_Home.htm . I don't see why Carnival wouldn't have some kind of an alternative plan available. I would call them directly and let them know. With the rate Autism is growing I'm sure it won't be their first time in making accomodations.

Have fun!

I'm sorry I don't have any answers for you. But, I came across this a few months ago while we were planning our cruise this summer. It was one of the ships/itineraries we were considering. http://www.alumnicruises.org/Autism/Autism_Home.htm . I don't see why Carnival wouldn't have some kind of an alternative plan available. I would call them directly and let them know. With the rate Autism is growing I'm sure it won't be their first time in making accomodations.

Have fun!

That looks so amazing, I am sending it to everyone I know!

Thanks

Archived