Walmart or Target type stores in NZ?

scubarn1

Are there large discount type stores available in New Zealand? Trying to decide weather I should pack alot of toiletries and gifts for the children on a cruise stop in my luggage, or can I purchase them in NZ the week before the cruise.

Thanks, Karen

We don't have WalMart or Target in NZ, but do have K-Mart and a chain called "The Warehouse" that is along the lines of Walmart etc.

They have a great selection and you will be able to get everything you require.

With the exchange rate being in your favour, shopping in NZ will be a bargain.

Hope this helps.:)

Actually, you may NOT find the prices as cheap as Walmart. Shop workers in NZ and Australia get paid much better than their American counterparts. Consequently, prices may not be as cheap. This might give you an idea for comparison:

http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/Content.aspx?id=100000105

My experience has been that electricals, DVDs and CDs are much cheaper in USA, but clothing is not much different.

If you are going to be in Hobart, there is definitely a Target in the center of the outdoor shopping center walking distance from where our ship docked.

Are there large discount type stores available in New Zealand? Trying to decide weather I should pack alot of toiletries and gifts for the children on a cruise stop in my luggage, or can I purchase them in NZ the week before the cruise.

Thanks, Karen

Actually, you may NOT find the prices as cheap as Walmart. Shop workers in NZ and Australia get paid much better than their American counterparts. Consequently, prices may not be as cheap. This might give you an idea for comparison:

http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/Content.aspx?id=100000105

My experience has been that electricals, DVDs and CDs are much cheaper in USA, but clothing is not much different.

mochuck,

Thanks very much for this link and info! Fun to look at ahead of time. I am visiting New Zealand again in March, but this time by land rather than cruise. Prices might be slightly less (but not by much probably) than in the U.S. But like scubarn1 says, now we can have more room in our suitcase--going at least, probably not coming home!

Archived