Passengers Thrown Overboard on Celebrity Ships?

congas

My wife is nervous about the news stories of people being attacked and thrown overboard from several ships. At least one person went missing from an RCL ship, under murky circumstances. Does anyone know if passengers have been jettisoned from any Celebrity ships? What is the security like on deck after dark? Thanks!

Don't let the stories get to you guys. There are some bad things that've happened, no doubt, but the chance of anything happening are very low.

I doubt there will be any security on deck at night, since there usually isn't anybody on deck at night. There are security cameras, though.

Treat the ship like a town.

Don't enter crew areas, even if invited, don't go down dark hallways with people you think might be strange, don't accept drinks from strangers, etc.

If you use common sense onboard nothing will go wrong.

To answer your question, I haven't heard any stories about anything happening.

You are kidding, right? The odds of something like that happening have got to be a gazillion to one. You take more chances going to Vegas. If someone does fall overboard, it is most likely that they drank too much and leaned too far over the rail. This is something that is nothing to worry about. Cruising is supposed to be fun and relaxing, you shouldn't be worried about things you can't foresee or control.

Hi Congas,

I noticed that you guys are from Hollywood Ca. and your DW is concerned about crime on a cruise ship? An idea might be to visit your local Police Dept and ask to see the current blotter. She'll be stunned as to what goes on locally. Who knows, maybe after seeing that, you'll be cruising more.:D

Barry

Has this happened? My wife is nervous because of several news reports that passengers mysteriously disappeared from cruise ships at sea during the night. This happened on at least one ship owned by RCL. What is the on deck security like at night? My wife is afraid of being beaten, robbed and thrown overboard during the middle of night by sea-going hoodlums. I am trying to reassure her.

Most disappearances are the result of "PO" someone you know. It is much safer travelling with strangers. If you were to stay home, chances of your wife being thrown overboard would probably approach 0% or at least statistically insignificant.;):rolleyes:

You have a better chance of ending up like the 'Black Dahlia' than being thrown overboard on a ship.....

And being in Hollywood...you should already know how the media hypes things and replays them until it seems they are common occurances.

Dave:eek:

There have been people lost at sea but in the large majority of cases they are either suicides or drunks. Here is a listing of man overboard incidents at sea...... If you scroll down there is a short synopsis available for incident. Although there have been a couple of odd incidents where cause is unknown you will note most of those involved drinking.... The news reports on these things are highlly blown out of proportion and most of the broadcasters no nothing about cruising. Its all about the ratings, if it bleeds, it leads....

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/Overboard.html

The case you heard about was on Brilliance of the Seas in Europe a few years ago. The couple by all accounts were not your typical honeymoon couple. They partied into the wee hours of the night with strangers in their cabin- men that could have been dealing in drugs. At any rate, his wife was out partying solo until 6AM- when a cabin steward found her passed out at the end of a long corridor. When she got back to her room- despite the fact that the bed was made- she assumed her husband was at a spa appointment. Yeah right- she was drunk out of her mind.

Anyway, the husband presumabley fell off the balcony. The whole story is so strange and the wife settled out of court with RCL. To this day- the whole thing is shrouded in mystery.

To answer your question- no---- you aren't going to be thrown off the ship.

Assuming you take all the normal safety precautions, cruise ships have to be about the safest places on earth. It is not as if muggers can do their dirty deeds and flee by helicopter.

This is the real word and "stuff" happens, but cruising has to be the most stress free holiday imaginable. Your wife will love it!

Seriously, why would she be wandering around the ship late at night without you anyway ?

One of the things I love about ships is that I can move around freely on my own. My DH is a slowpoke. When we stay in hotels I am always waiting for him to get ready. On board ship I can just say "meet me.... when you are ready." Or I can run upstairs and grab something to eat on the balcony while he is in the shower.

If I am too excited to sleep on the first night, I feel perfect safe in taking a stroll on my own. I would never do that at a resort.

Now, while I am out strolling I don't stop and drink with strangers in bars.

If I am too excited to sleep on the first night, I feel perfect safe in taking a stroll on my own. I would never do that at a resort........Quote]

=======================================================

I could not agree with you more. I am a light sleeper and often get up and wander around the decks, and I feel really safe.

My point was to the OP who said his wife was " afraid of being robbed , beaten, and thrown overboard in the middle of the night.

My query was ..why if she was so concerned would she be wandering around in the middle of the night ALONE anyway.?

I do feel badly for the OP--it is a serious concern to them (or her) just aggravated by the media.

I think the OP is just having a little fun. It's not their first cruise, nor their first time on Celebrity.:rolleyes:

I think you've succumbed to the press hysteria about this. There is only one passenger who may have been thrown overboard, from an RCI ship - and even this seems less likely than that he fell.

Everyone else who goes overboard either falls accidentally (when doing something stupid) or jumps deliberately.

....- and even this seems less likely than that he fell.Everyone else who goes overboard either falls accidentally (when doing something stupid) or jumps deliberately.

How can you be so sure....what do you think this UFO is stalking the ship for ??? :D :rolleyes:

Flying Saucer STALKS Cruise SHIP !!

Flying+Saucer+Over+San+Francisco+Bay.jpg

Personally, I have an irrational fear of heights

I am scared of heights as well, and wasn't sure on my first cruise (so far, there's only been one) how I would feel looking over the railing from the 11th deck or higher, but I loved it!

I enjoyed being on the top decks by myself at night, and I never felt afraid. It's just so beautiful and peaceful up there with no one around. Maybe it's not the smartest thing to do, but I absolutely loved being up there by myself, and I plan to do it again on the next cruise (and hopefully many more after that!). Now, I don't drink and try to be aware of my surroundings, but I just can't imagine anything happening.

The media hypes everything to the point of stupidity. The RCCI person you're referring to seemed to have a lot to do with alcohol and stupid behavior. People are not just thrown off a ship. I think if you research, at least 90% of the overboards are alcohol related. The other 10% is suicide.

Archived