Dinner 1st night

mlanz

Starting to pack for 2/16 cruise....question is how is the attire in the dining room the first night? Seatings usually run 20-30 minutes late? No problem (usually) getting bags esp by second seating? Is there a way to carry on garmet bag when boarding?

thx

You can carry on anything that will fit through the xray which is the same size as at the airport. The first night is the most casual as many have not gotten their luggage. My husband had the zip off pants so he wears those to board as shorts and then puts the legs in the carry on with a fresh shirt and he is ready for dinner. I wear capris which will work.

Hi

It has been my experience that you 'come as you are'

Meaning people are often wearing what they traveled in. If you are on first seating there is a good chance that you may not have all your luggage or

have time to unpack before dinner.

Seatings usually run 20-30 minutes late?

thx

The doors open up promptly on the first night as they do every night. It takes a little longer the first night because dining room staff members are showing people where their tables are.

Plan to be prompt.

The first night, come as you are, its shorts, flip flops and a tshirt for me. After that I follow the dress code.

I don't mean to be rude or a flamer here, but have to ask a revealing question to all that have this attitude.

Instead of using an excuse to NOT follow the rules,

why don't you plan ahead and take apair of slacks and shirt in carryon so you CAN follow the rules?????

I teach high school kids, and I try to teach them some realities in life that they have not grasped yet because of their youth:

It may not be fair.

It may not be right.

It may not be what people really want to do.....

BUT:

People always judge other people on TWO THINGS;

The way you talk and the way you look. Try to make a "Proper First Impression".

"shorts, flip flops and a tshirt for me", says Windjammer for dinner for me.

Im a shorts person and I really look forward to the first night where I can wear shorts. Its not just me, I see lots of other people who are enjoying being comfortable and kicking off their vacation by wearing casual atire.

The second night its the dreaded straight jacket, not very comfortable, but we go along with it as not to upset the others where dress is important to them.

I don't mean to be rude or a flamer here, but have to ask a revealing question to all that have this attitude.

Instead of using an excuse to NOT follow the rules,

why don't you plan ahead and take apair of slacks and shirt in carryon so you CAN follow the rules?????

I teach high school kids, and I try to teach them some realities in life that they have not grasped yet because of their youth:

It may not be fair.

It may not be right.

It may not be what people really want to do.....

BUT:

People always judge other people on TWO THINGS;

The way you talk and the way you look. Try to make a "Proper First Impression".

"shorts, flip flops and a tshirt for me", says Windjammer for dinner for me.

I totally agree. I pack a nice outfit in my carry on for that reason. Shorts and flip flops or pants that can made to shorts with a zipper are not right for a dining room. I'm in my 20's and I wouldn't dress like that.

I've always had my bags well in advance of early dinner, and therefore had no problem changing into casual attire befitting of the elegant dining room.

The doors do open on time, however on the first evening, dining times are usually 1/2 hour later than they are on the rest of the nights.

I have read soooo many threads on dress code and it amuses me that people tend to use an anonymous message board to pass judgment on people's attire when if they were seated at the same table - nothing would be said (well, until they returned to their stateroom - then they would have a topic to complain about all night).

Our culture as a whole has become more informal. Even in the professional world, business casual has become the norm in most offices. So, when people question the 'dress code' it is not an effort to 'buck the system' or 'rebel'...it is usually a 'logistical one'.

And those who are dress code sticklers - please explain to me how you are able to pack...because I am so curious. Just yesterday - I brought our my suitcases for our Mar 1 trip - and it is almost full. Here is my logic.

I pack an outfit to wear to breakfast (we do WJ) so usually shorts or capri's and a t for each day. Then there is my swimsuit and cover up. And then there is my casual resort wear outfit for the day. Then - dinner - I need a 'smart casual outfit' for every night and 2 formal outfits. How exactly can all that be fit in 2 bags including toiletries and shoes?? Curious.

I am thinking of taking a few pairs of black slacks that I will re-wear for dinner with a different blouse....which will help. And only 1 formal night.

But if my hubby were to follow the rules every night - how would he fit all those 'jackets' in his 2 suitcases?? So - dress code police - be on the lookout - my dh will be the one wearing the same jacket all week. And check closely - my pants may be worn more than once. Feel free to write us a citation if it helps you have a better time. We will be the one's laughing and having a good time - not worrying about what other's are wearing.

As for the OP's question - you will never be the worst or the best dressed in the dining room...so wear what is easiest for you. Don't stress..it is vacation!

Lisa

I board the ship in nice capri’s and a silk top so if I wanted I can “come as you are” for dinner. We board early and ALWAYS want to shower prior to dinner and put on fresh clothes.

We’ve never had our luggage arrive any later the 4PM (on all 30 cruises+) so changing for dinner is NEVER an issue.

There are generally photo ops the first evening so we want to look nice for the photos and each other.

We generally have late dinner and rarely see shorts and T’s.

Also – to be “casual” (to us) does not mean shorts and T’s, it means nice slacks and a top. We attend many social events that are listed as “Casual” – we would not fit in if we dressed in shorts and T’s. In fact – we would probably be denied entrance to many events as many (country) clubs have dress codes. We would never consider seeing “what we could get a ways with”

I guess “to each his own” is the feeling these days.

M

1st night is basically "come as you are"! Yes, you could carry on a change of clothes, but you do NOT have to! No one will judge you.

That's a very nice thought....but have you read some of the posts?

In all fairness if the "rules" were so important then RCI would make sure your luggage was delivered.

Honestly some people should...lighten up --you're on vacation for goodness sakes.

Don't worry your jeans will arrive and you can wear them the second night:eek:

I think the main issue here is that many want to hold on to the 'tradition' of cruising and hate to see the cruise ship become 1 big buffet line. So - the dress code goes along with that. My only idea of what classic cruise tradition is from "Titanic" since my first cruise was in 2005. Like everything else, cruiselines are changing with the times. 20 years ago - I am sure that my dh would be denied entry to the dining room if he wore khakis and a button down shirt...but nowadays that is the least of the dress code violations.

Times change, culture changes and the cruise industry wants to market to the middle class where the majority go t0 to business casual offices throughout the year.

I definitely agree that shorts, a t and flip flops are out of place but it doesn't upset me...in fact - it gives me more to talk about - and I can said to my dh "hey, he/she is dressed more casually than we are....".

And I have to guess that the cruiseline couldn't care less if we came to the dining room in our pj's because the fare has been paid....they only want to cater to the wishes of the majority. (the least amount of complaints) It is the majority that will determine what the dress code of the future will be.

Another point is that there are cruiselines that market to the luxury class - but has anyone not seen all the RCI commercials - they are not marketing to the classic senior citizen cruiser - they are marketing to families and especially families with teens. Try getting a teenager to wear a tie on more than 1 night in a week...not fun.

Just other points in the debate. I just hate seeing people so adverse to change...scares me with the US election coming up. Change is good, people! Relax!

Lisa

I have often read many posts about "hot" topics such as dress codes, and smoking, and kids in the pool to name a few. Usually, I am a stickler for rules, and we always dress according to the fact that I am on a cruise ship vacation and that in itself means something different than the norm for us. Usually that is jeans, sneakers, flip flops, sandals, shorts (after all, I live in FL so warm weather is here year round).

That being said, maybe because I am getting older, maybe because I have cruised a few times before...but it really doesn't bother me too much if everyone does not dress up for dinner in the same way. Don't get me wrong, I do not think that a tank top for guys or a midriff for girls is appropriate on a cruise ship, or in any restaurant where you sit and are served. But is someone wears a nice pair of jeans or pants, and a nice polo shirt...and I am in my fancy dress and my DH in his suit...well, I just don't think it reflects one way or another on my vacation.

I am on my cruise vacation for ME and for those I am traveling with. I have been seated with the snobbiest well-dressed people, and the must fun down to earth folks who are dressed not so fancy. And who even wears (gasp!), the same dress for both formal nights! And you know what? I'll take the fun folks over the cruise snobs any day. I get dressed up because it is fun, and it makes me feel special. I certainly am not dressing up for the other 2000 people on the ship! Anyway, that is my opinion...so flame on!

II am on my cruise vacation for ME and for those I am traveling with. I get dressed up because it is fun, and it makes me feel special. I certainly am not dressing up for the other 2000 people on the ship!

I agree with you completely - people should dress the way the feel most comfortable - within reason. But ultimately this is a very expensive VACATION that is about relaxation. For me - the idea of supplying all these additional clothes for my dh and 2 teenagers that they will rarely wear throughout the year...just adds more stress to what is supposed to be fun. Makes it soo not fun. On our previous cruises, we opted not to eat in the dining room at all. (well, once on 1st cruise) But this time - we will be in the dining room with my dh and son in khakis and button down shirts on non-formal nights and will have a great time. We are large group - so we won't be seated with anyone that might be made uncomfortable. :)

And to know that the 1st night is the least formal - is great to know that on atleast 1 night we won't have 'cruise snobs' huffing and puffing...:p

Lisa

II am on my cruise vacation for ME and for those I am traveling with. I get dressed up because it is fun, and it makes me feel special. I certainly am not dressing up for the other 2000 people on the ship!

I agree with you completely - people should dress the way the feel most comfortable - within reason. But ultimately this is a very expensive VACATION that is about relaxation. For me - the idea of supplying all these additional clothes for my dh and 2 teenagers that they will rarely wear throughout the year...just adds more stress to what is supposed to be fun. Makes it soo not fun. On our previous cruises, we opted not to eat in the dining room at all. (well, once on 1st cruise) But this time - we will be in the dining room with my dh and son in khakis and button down shirts on non-formal nights and will have a great time. We are large group - so we won't be seated with anyone that might be made uncomfortable. :)

And to know that the 1st night is the least formal - is great to know that on atleast 1 night we won't have 'cruise snobs' huffing and puffing...:p

Lisa

And those who are dress code sticklers - please explain to me how you are able to pack...because I am so curious. Just yesterday - I brought our my suitcases for our Mar 1 trip - and it is almost full. Here is my logic.

I pack an outfit to wear to breakfast (we do WJ) so usually shorts or capri's and a t for each day. Then there is my swimsuit and cover up. And then there is my casual resort wear outfit for the day. Then - dinner - I need a 'smart casual outfit' for every night and 2 formal outfits. How exactly can all that be fit in 2 bags including toiletries and shoes?? Curious.

I am thinking of taking a few pairs of black slacks that I will re-wear for dinner with a different blouse....which will help. And only 1 formal night.

But if my hubby were to follow the rules every night - how would he fit all those 'jackets' in his 2 suitcases?? So - dress code police - be on the lookout - my dh will be the one wearing the same jacket all week. And check closely - my pants may be worn more than once. Feel free to write us a citation if it helps you have a better time. We will be the one's laughing and having a good time - not worrying about what other's are wearing.

Hi Lisa:

After almost 40 cruises, I am getting better at packing less. For our upcomoing 12 night cruise, I will pack three pair of black dressy slacks and 6 tops for me. I take only one or two pair of shoes for the evening and one purse. No one will notice let alone care if I wear something twice. If they notice and care, too bad for them. My husband takes his tux and a couple of cummerbund and tie sets, one tux shirt which he has laundered if need be, one navy blazer and several pair of dress slacks. He may take one pair of khakis as well.

During the day, we wear shorts or bathing suits if on the ship or an island. I mix and match the shorts and tops and wear everything at least twice. This time we will be in Europe, so I will pack more long pants for touring. I will take a sweater or jacket for each of us in case the daytime is cool.

The only thing I go overboard on (pardon the expression) is underwear. I am willing to send anything to the laundry except my underwear. I don't want a stranger handling intimate apparel.

I will never be that person who can travel all over the world with just a backpack, but I am packing more carefully. Our last trip (7 nights), we each had one suitcase and one carry on. It was really a pleasure.

Don't worry what anyone else thinks about wearing outfits multiple times. It will pay off by having less luggage to have to schlep around. Have a great trip.

We had formal night the first night - when the ship departed on New Year's Eve. Other than that, casual. I enjoy the part of cruising that is the "living the high life." That includes dressing better than I do for meal at home - which means no shorts, no muscle shirts/tshirts. Wearing nice slacks and a simple shirt should not be such a big deal the first night.

I like to dress nice, I wear sundresses, and take black and white capris, the dresses do double duty in port, the capris at dinner, nicer tops at nite with , ( a plain top with a cheap necklace and nicer earrings goes a long way to dress up an outfit) Iwill wear pants a 2nd time in port with casual top. like above all but formals double duty. Hubs takes 1 suit 3 khaki pants (shirts of course) for dinner rotation

I DO NOT KNOW ABOUT ALL RCCL SHIPS. I personally got off Vision Sunday from the Mexican Riv. cruise.. On the daily compass it states, Dinner-- dining room no tank tops, no shorts. windjammer no tank tops. People were definately at dinner dressed in jeans, some with polo shirts, some with t shirts. men and women jeans. This was on the compass for all week, Formal nights stated formal though. Table mates wore jeans 3 nights. I saw many jeans some not so nice. Did see them turn 1 man away in tank top in dining room , he came back with t shirt on with half naked girl on back. Apparently girls on tshirts do not have to be fully clothed in dining room :D

On NCL Majesty it only states jeans must not have holes in them in dining room . They definately allowed jeans

I know the debate of dining room dress will never end. But on this ship Jeans are allowed at dinner in dining room I think they are relaxing the rules. I know if I would let him hubs would probably prefer to wear the same pair of jeans to dinner all 7 nites. But casual pants are as comfortable as jeans , sometimes even more

Bnjrsmom, I wouldnt even make them wear button downs unless you already have them.

I say dress how ever you wish, Just please don't smell rank. Soap and water is your friend

just eat and be merry lol

I like that.

Now, I just can't wait until the stardards get to bikinis with thong bottoms. :D

Just joking, folks. We love to dress, but if others don't, it's not my problem. I do gotta say, the ladies do look fab in those beautiful gowns.

I tend to dress nicely for the airport, so if I get stuck in those clothes for the first evening, I am still OK. I will have on Slinky type navy pants and a tank with either a crochet sweater over it or a tank with a gauzy tunic for our flight. Last cruise, I had on khaki capris and a tank with a striped blouse and it was fine for the first night at dinner. This time we have late seating, so I may change since I will have more time.

I tend to dress up for the dining room every evening. It has more to do with how I feel about myself and my vacation than what others think. I love to dress up and so it's a dress every night for me if we eat in the dining room, which we usually do. It makes me feel better and more festive.

Wear what you want within reason, I do agree that for me, a cruise still holds a thought of dressing up for dinner and feeling elegant. I do not look down on anyone though according to what they are wearing. You never know, they may have lost their luggage!! :eek:

Archived