Cruise Food Sucks.

leeshajoy

Maybe the OP doesn't enjoy a variety in their cuisine. If a person only likes hot dogs and fries, I can see where they would be disappointed by the vast array of different food choices. I personally enjoy the variety, and enjoy many things on board that I don't make at home...I don't have lobster, escargot, Beef Wellington, etc at home, but I certainly enjoy it on a cruise where I don't have to spend a fortune on groceries, cooking, etc. But like I said, maybe they have simple tastes and either don't care for, or don't want to try something different. Of the past two cruises, I think that Carnival and Princess both had great food in the dining room....buffet was hit and miss (only Princess has hard boiled eggs in meatloaf, as well as on club sandwiches--go figure), but I was always able to find SOMETHING edible....

I agree wholeheartely, that RCCL's food is terrible. We have cruised almost all of the cruise lines and RCCL's food is by far the worst. Nope, there honestly wasn't one thing that I could say was good. We walked away from every meal very disappointed. By about the 3rd day I would have given anything for airline food!

Well, I found the perfect soluton---bring your crockpot! If you go to the sub-forum 'ask a question' and go to 'crockpots'---you will see what I mean :)
Reneei,

I really beleive that should be a crackpot!!

mcboo

Give me a break! what do you eat at home. I doubt that it is gourmet fare. Perhaps you are used to Kraft Dinner and Weenies, so real food doesn't appeal to you. Not all the food is wonderful, but considering the numbers they are feeding, it's very good. The attitude you arrive with on a ship will very much determine your satisfaction level.

• 1 month later...

I have to admit that great food is a big priority for me in selecting a cruise. After sailing on the Infinity, I don't plan on going back to ships with lesser quality in ingredients, and preparation skill. Presumably "cruise foodies" means

this thread is for cruisers' opinions about just that. While I have never starved on any cruise, I have felt quite let down by NCL and Sun Cruises, because I had to work pretty hard to avoid the worst of their extremely uneven quality. On Celebrity, my fellow passengers seemed to be thrilled with the overall dining experience even though one person's taste may be different from another's, and noone in my party agreed on which dish was best at a given meal. I actually liked Infinity's buffet food, and even the separate spa cuisine buffet. Of course the dishes served in the main dining room were better, but there is no doubt in my mind that attention to detail and very fresh ingredients

sets even their simplest dishes above NCL's. I found it very offensive to witness people's disapointment with NCL's abundant quantity of thoughtlessly prepared, and less fresh buffet food. So many passengers took a single bite of something, winced and then went back to try something better, that it seemed as though most of the food was left wasted. In a few weeks DH, DD

and I will be back on Celebrity hoping to again enjoy the difference.

All I can say is aboard the Mariner (RCCL) our food was fabulous!!! Not to mention the 5***** service in the main dining room. If you're wanting McD's or Burger King you better not sail this ship.

Ultra fantastic food. I am looking forward to the food on the Summit on our next cruise!:)

324144475_hhgirl.jpg.d5153921c606bc5ed9ff6e02a43f6742.jpg

We cruised Mariner of the Sea back in May 2004. The food was tasty, had excellent presentation, and prepared to order. The dining staff was incredible from the Maitre D on down to the assistants. We could not have asked for better food and service, and with 3, 400+ people on board, this was phenomenal. I highly recommend Mariner to you.

Mariner of the Sea - May 30, 2004 :)

And don't forget about Costa...

I know a lot of people saying that the food aboard the Costa ships are below standard, but mostly those posts are coming from people who have never had REAL italian food and never been to Italy. What they expect is the Ameritalian cuisin, which is modified to fit the taste of Fast Food America.

We went on the Costa Atlantica for a Western Carribean cruise and I was not disappointed once. It did not matter what meal - breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner or midnight buffet - it sure was always excellent!

Now again, some people in our group have never tasted real italian food, and soforth they were kind of surprised or unhappy about the food.

Having visited Italy numerous times myself, I can reassure you that Costa is doing an excellent job with their theme "Cruising Italian Style".

If you love italian food, book it - if you don't, try another line!

We were onboard the Carnival Destiny June 20-28, 2204, and the food was Excellent!!!!! They had every breakfast food known to man from eggs (anyway you liked) to waffles, pancakes, croissants, fruit, meat, etc. Lunch was the same and dinner in the dining room was fabulous. Maybe you should check out the Carnival line next time. If you can't find anything you like on Carnival ships, you are truly unsatisfiable.

Carnival Destiny June 2004

Karlyn8 i say i have to agree with you..If you can't find anything you like about Carnival ships then you are truly unsatisfiable!!

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from Norwegian Spirit, and the food was above average.... fresh and well prepared. The "cooking light" entrees were outstanding. Appetizers also very good, as were many soups. I did not find the quality to be uneven, and in fact found the buffet far better than most buffets, many fresh options, and small quanitities of hot food being brought out regularly, for constant higher quality at the buffet.

All light meals at "Blue Lagoon" cooked to order.........fried rice and fried noodles both very tasty... small quanitities replenished frequently in the "Bier Garten" - this was more the hamburger/hotdog place, but also had sauerkraut and pork or chicken most days.

I hear it varies ship to ship, but I thought the Spirit was very acceptable.

We just got back from our honeymoon on RCCL and the food was HORRIBLE. To us it was ...airplane quality crap. Someone else aboard commented it was prison quality.

Is there a c...ruiseline with QUALITY food?

Try Fred Olsen, We had wonderful food, thats what cruises are suppose to be all about (wonderful food). As for turkey sandwich for lunch I can think of nothing worse, given all the choices you can have on Fred Olsen, who on earth did you go with.