Cruise food article in today's Money News... No midnight buffet, anymore???

rosie40

http://www.att.net/s/editorial.dll?pnum=1&bfromind=262&eeid=5690833&_sitecat=1462&dcatid=0&eetype=article&render=y&ac=-2&ck=&ch=mo

We never stuck around long to eat much of it (too crowded & our tummies were already too full) but I sure enjoyed taking those spectacular pics.

It seems like over the past few years there have been more and more cut-backs yet those ever climbing cruise fares :rolleyes:

Did a three day on the Monarch in January (our fourth time on the same itenerary). They did not have the midnight buffet. The first three times they had a Mexican buffet that started around 11:00 or so. They've done it both on deck and in the Windjammer. Didn't do it in January. I didn't miss it though. Pretty to look at but just ok on the taste meter. Besides, I was still full from dinner!

While we are on the subject of cut backs. What happened to the king crab legs? We were on the Liberty on10/11/07 and the crab legs were missing. That was our 10 th rcl cruise and the first without crab legs. :mad:

Really?? I can't recall if those were still offered when we cruised last summer. One of the standout's in my mind was that they had really altered the room service choices on that sailing.

Omelette's were no longer on the breakfast menu. The only "hot" item was scrambled eggs. That was really disappointing because it was one of our anticipated cruise traditions.... I looked forward to that omelette/hashbrowns and a hot cup of coffee out on the balcony, especially on a sea day. Not to mention that it sure beat waiting forever in line at the WJ for one!!

While we are on the subject of cut backs. What happened to the king crab legs? We were on the Liberty on10/11/07 and the crab legs were missing. That was our 10 th rcl cruise and the first without crab legs. :mad:

King crab legs? On RCI? I swear I've never seen them in 60+ cruises.

Only a few weeks ago, experienced midnight buffet on Mariner, and not many folks turned out, compared with the time and effort put forth by the staff. Apparently this could go by the wayside. I personally enjoyed the one event and took part in enjoying the taste as well as the visual impact. I keep hearing how many look but don't partake. That is why it is on it's way out. I'll miss it next time if they don't have it- but understand if it's gone for good. boo hoo.

Really?? I can't recall if those were still offered when we cruised last summer. One of the standout's in my mind was that they had really altered the room service choices on that sailing.

Omelette's were no longer on the breakfast menu. The only "hot" item was scrambled eggs. That was really disappointing because it was one of our anticipated cruise traditions.... I looked forward to that omelette/hashbrowns and a hot cup of coffee out on the balcony, especially on a sea day. Not to mention that it sure beat waiting forever in line at the WJ for one!!

OK they've gone too far. Please say this isn't so!:( Like you we look forward to room service breakfast on the balcony - one of the reasons we love to book the aft balconies - plenty of room to have a table and really enjoy breakfast. We will be dissapointed!!!

OK they've gone too far. Please say this isn't so!:( Like you we look forward to room service breakfast on the balcony - one of the reasons we love to book the aft balconies - plenty of room to have a table and really enjoy breakfast. We will be dissapointed!!!

Just rethe Vision a couple of weeks ago. I had breakfast on the balcony onemorning and I wrote in what I wanted and they made it happen! So don't lose heart hey will probably make it happen for you too!

Just returned from the Vision a couple of weeks ago. I had breakfast on the balcony onemorning and I wrote in what I wanted and they made it happen! So don't lose heart hey will probably make it happen for you too!

Just returned from the Vision a couple of weeks ago. I had breakfast on the balcony onemorning and I wrote in what I wanted and they made it happen! So don't lose heart hey will probably make it happen for you too!

I guess that really varies depending on the ship/staff. I tried asking for eggs benedict "back in the day..." on Mariner because someone suggested just writing it in. I received a phone call in the morning stating, "Sorry, that's not a room service option, DR only."

I tried again on our last sailing on AOS. I though it wouldn't be that big of a deal just asking for a ham & cheese omelette that they used to offer anyway. Nope, I received that same a.m. "Sorry.." call.

I guess that really varies depending on the ship/staff. I tried asking for eggs benedict "back in the day..."

That's exactly what I ordered. They did call at the time it was supposed to be delivered and said that the order would be a little late. But it showed up just as we ordered it.

You are probably right it depends on the ship I guess...

Well, don't even think about ordering anything from room service on the Navigator; we couldn't even get a lousy pot of coffee on our last cruise. I tried to order on the ticket that you put on the door...no luck. Ok, so I try to just call in the AM....no luck. It was just a joke by the end of the cruise. Yea, an omlet and hashbrowns on the balcony would be a little piece of heaven, but only in our dreams:rolleyes:

I enjoyed the MNB on past cruises, but come to think of it, I didn't see one on the Navigator cruise:rolleyes: I can understand if the staff works hard and no one participates.

RC is really skimping on everything these days.

Annie:)

we are diamond plus's too and have never seen king crab legs? maybe someone went on an AK cruise? ??? would anyone know? just curious... Corkey

No King crab legs on AK cruises either...I've only seen crab legs on Princess and Disney.

King crab legs? On RCI? I swear I've never seen them in 60+ cruises.

I agree with you GMoney. The only crab things I have seen were crab cakes and Steak Oscar on Radiance last month. It was awful, lol.

Also on Radiance, we tried to order omelets from room service by writing it in on the hang tag but got scrambled eggs instead. So, I guess, some ships still allow you to order them and some don't. I know we could get them in the WJ, so that's what we did. It was kind of disappointing though to not be able to get them and sit out on the balcony.

On SO many cruises I can remember people showing up at 11:30 for the "photo opportunity", but never saw too many people actually going through the line or sitting down to eat so I can understand their wanting to cut back on this:-(.

Personally . . . I rather see them put that time & effort (& food) into a DECK PARTY:-) I'm sure they would have a great turn out for that:-)

Archived