Train

777mjrseb

I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the Amtrak train station in Fort Lauderdale, and how long they thing it might take from the port to the train station. I’m looking at taking a train from Tampa to Fort Lauderdale since it’s a bit cheaper than renting a car, and taking the train back. The train departs Fort Lauderdale at 1230, can anyone share the process in riding the train. Is there security?? What is the check in processes like?

Thank you…

:D

You would be better off to get off at the station in Hollywood (Griffin Rd) that is closer to Port Everglades. Then grab a cab, maybe 15 minutes to the port.

By the way Amtrak gives a discount if you book a Carnival Cruise (if the contract has been renewed for 2008) so if you booked through CCL ask the person how to get the discount. If they don't know then let me know and I'll help you.

I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the Amtrak train station in Fort Lauderdale, and how long they thing it might take from the port to the train station. I’m looking at taking a train from Tampa to Fort Lauderdale since it’s a bit cheaper than renting a car, and taking the train back. The train departs Fort Lauderdale at 1230, can anyone share the process in riding the train. Is there security?? What is the check in processes like?

Thank you…

Let me know if you do this and how it works out. Thinking of doing Amtrak out of here but to Miami. I do understand that the train does run a little late more often than not......;)

there is security just like airlines...from what I understand. Baggage is stored and the ride is relaxing. They have a club car.....I'll have a beer please. Also a dining car...food works........

Anyways...I don't leave until October...so if you do it, let us all know how it works out.

Have you taken Amtrak out of Tampa before? I've only done Amtrak once going in, but I was under the impression that the train doesn't actually go there. An Amtrak shuttle bus runs you between Orlando and Tampa. It's probably not a big deal for you if it does work that way, but it was disconcerting to me. I wasn't awake for very long before I had to witness I-4 traffic.

There is security at the stations and on board the train. The check in process is a bit less painless than checking in for the cruise.

Thank you…

Are you arriving a day early? I see the Silver Star does travel that route, but don't think it would get you to the port in time on day of sailing.

The Cruise Connection bus would take you right to the port and handle all of your luggage as well. They put on a movie during the trip, usually very pleasant.

Are you arriving a day early? I see the Silver Star does travel that route, but don't think it would get you to the port in time on day of sailing.

We have taken both the (2x's)Meteor and Silver Star. They have both been late. One two hours and the other an hour. The trains got in much after any ship's boarding time. So we always go down a day early. From our hotel in FTL to the train station early in the morning took 15 mins with no traffic on a Sunday morning. The hotel was about 5 mins from the port.

Hope you can figure this out. We use Amtrak a lot to get to our cruises.

WOW Thanks for all the replies…..

Legend: Thanks for the information on the station, and the discount I will look into this.

Jessemon: I will let you know how it goes, we are looking at this or driving but I hate driving for long periods of time so was interested in the train idea. I will let you know whether I do it or not, and if I do how it went…

Crataegus: For the departure date I checked they had a departure from Tampa to Fort Lauderdale at 12:30 running for 64 two people one way (Not bad eh??). Never been on Amtrak this would be the first time.

Cusyl: Thanks for the info, its much appreciated. Oh yes I always arrive a day early, which I could do two but I cant because of work. That’s rule number one arrive a day early!!!!!

CruisinMommas: Thanks for all the great information, its truly appreciated!!!!!

Sometimes the train is SOOOOO late from TPA that they bus you to another station...I took it. Train was a couple hours late and if it had gone all the way to TPA then back..(the route they take is, well, circuitous at best!) it would have been like 8 hours late.

DO NOT take it the same day! EVER!

The stations are usually NOT in good areas.....and the Florida trains are ALWAYS packed!

I booked a sleeper for the trip. Granted, I was only in it from, say winter haven to FLL (i can't remember exactly)...but it was worth the money! had my own little toilet and sink...and i was able to get free lunch in the dining car.

as for security?? there isn't any. you just show up, get your ticket and get on the train. no luggage screening or anything. the tampa station had nothing for food,e tc except some machines...same for hollywood so pack a lunch or buy stuff on the train. if you get a sleeper (trust me...check the price, but it's worth it if the train is packed...a nice quiet little piece of heaven, and you can probably get lunch!) food is included provided the dining car is still open.

book at least 3 days ahead if you qualify for any discounts (senior or AAA).

Archived